What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players who never reached their potential

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Obediah Geia was supposed to be the next big thing for the Cowboys.

I think there is some argument that, recognition wise, Matt Bowen. Stuck behind some others for rep honours and then suffering those knee injuries. Now hopefully he can keep getting back to his best :D
A bit harsh on Bowen. 200 plus games, 100 plus tries, SOO, thousands of kids/adults loving him. If Matty could have played one more position he would have played 20 tests for Australia.

BM1979

Juniors
Eric Groethe Jnr. Could have made a name for himself as one of the great wingers in the game, but decided he couldn't wait until retirement to start focusing on playing guitar and being in a band. Just 10 years of playing great footy, then hang the boots up at age 37 (or so) and he could have not just had his own band, he could have been remembered as one of Parramatta's finest. Honestly Eric, why?

Anthony Mundine. One of the best athletes seen in the game. Could actually have made the rep teams if he deflated his ego somewhat, became more of a team player and stopped blaming being Aboriginal for his snubbing by rep. selectors. He could have gone to another level as a player if, back in 2000, he decided to cut the crap, stop blaming other people for his short-comings and dedicate himself to the Dragons instead of going walkabout and deciding he wanted to be a boxer instead.

The only reason Eric was playing footy was because he didn't want to work , that was in his younger days anyway when he first came into first grade.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
1 - Andrew Walker - reasons already mentioned
2 Leon Bott - As gus says, "you can't teach speed".
3 Adam MAcDougall - still achieved alot but considering it took him 7 odd seasons to reach 50 first grade games it makes you wonder how much more he coul dhave achieved if he was even moderatly injury free
4 Amos Roberts - at the panthers was on the path to be a rep player, went to the roosters and just fell in a heap at the same time as firman and ash harrison did (good to see ash has snapped out of it). Is doing pretty well in england but im only counting the nrl
5 Jermaine Ale - reasons already mentioned
6 Owen Craigie - reasons already mentioned
7 Brett Firman - reasons already mentioned
8 Rob Tanielu - spinal injury connecting with mintos hip. Just been promoted up to the first grade squad as well as ray cashmere and together were the best front row combo in the qld cup at one stage
9 Jon Doyle - Plenty of potential just had the knees of a 60yr old man.
10 Carl Webb - strength of 3 men, heart the size of a pea. His first origin try was an example of what he is capable of. His first half of his first season for the cowboys showed some evidence of that as well (running 60m to score, carrying 3 or 4 people an extra 5m on a hitup etc etc). Unfortunately the more he got paid the more he could spend at KFC and the workrate dropped and the errors and penalties increased.
11 Sonny Fai - didnt get a chance, poor guy.
12 Dane Carlaw - reasons already mentioned. Remember my school team coach saying he has the perfect league physique at one stage. Just did nothing with it though in form warranted his rep selections, just didn't produce it enough.
13 Mateo - was hard to think of a lock so ill whack the first one that comes to mind who has the talent to be possibly the best attacking backrower in the world but is lazy and heartless most of the time. Sure there are plenty of past examples i cant think of right now
14 Tony Buttigeig - Big butts had to retire at 27 due to a chronic quad injury after just breaking into the origin side and was reaching his peak. For a bloke his size did a mountain of work and was a similar style to Hannant now.
15 Mitchell Sargeant - Sarge was brilliant for us but stuffed it up when he decided snorting coke would be a good option. Went downhill from there
16 Anthony Mundine - As hated as he was/is, was good and walked away from it.
17 Keiran Kerr, think he set the record of 4 clubs in a single year after he came up north as the next wonder kid only not play any games end up at 2 other clubs then finally in england at the end of the year

Not my best lineup but just tried to whack a few more names in there

Butters

Bench
Eric Grothe Jnr
Chris Walker
Antonio Kaufusi

f**k he was awesome in 06. He single handedly won the finals games against parramatta that year. If only he didn't do his knee in 07.

I'll nominate Sione Faumuina, dominant tackler and would offload all over the place. To bad he preferred getting rowdy with the alcohol.

4 Amos Roberts - at the panthers was on the path to be a rep player, went to the roosters and just fell in a heap at the same time as firman and ash harrison did (good to see ash has snapped out of it). Is doing pretty well in england but im only counting the nrl

Roberts had a few good years with Easts. His first 2 years he was bagging a fair few tries, but his last 2 years were pretty poor.

mongoose

Coach
Bronx Goodwin - was suppose to be the superior goodwin brother (even his dad said so) but still can't get a regular first grade spot. He definitely had a bit of an ego problem though.

JT_

Juniors
I dunno about everyone else but Josh Lewis had potential. Could have been a decent player under the right coach.

Benji Magic

Juniors
These are a few from Parramatta from the late 80's just after the golden era ended. These guys were supposed to continue the dynasty but it just didn't happen for one reason or another. I'm sure there are a few others I missed as well.

Scott Mahon
Paul Mares
Mick Delroy
Tony Cossato
Brian Jackson
Jason Bell
Gavin Catanach
Michael Erickson
Greg Drake

jonno_knights

Juniors
Antonio Kaufusi

Evarn Tuimavave.

Will be interesting to see how these two guys go under Bennett next season. They are still both very young for props (25 or 26) and we all know Bennett can work wonders with front rowers. Bold statement, these two guys wont be too far out of rep calculations in 2013, maybe even as early as 2012.

Daniel Abraham is a guy who never was able to reach his potential due to horrific injuries, he was on the verge of S.O.O. back in the day, now he cant even crack the NRL.

Owen Cragie is another knight who could have been anything.

jonno_knights

Juniors
A completely unfair expectation that is no different to the media claiming Braith Anasta would become the next Brad Fittler. Mullen was NEVER going to measure up to Joey's standards, and all this comparison achieved was to put unnecessary pressure on the kid at the start of his emerging NRL career. Jarrod was never given the opportunity to become his own player.

Mullen should never have been picked for that one origin game in 2007 either, Brian Smith was right to object to his selection because he wasn't ready. People were talking him up as the savior of NSW, no surprise he crashed and burned under the weight of expectation. And after he was dropped after one game, he lost all confidence and self-esteem in his playing ability. Another genious NSW selection.

He wasnt all that bad in that game, had a great start setting up the first NSW try IIRC with a beauty of a ball to Cooper i think it was. But he did go missing in the second half when the pressure was on.

And he wasnt dropped, he got injured in 'that game' against the Broncos, did his hammy i think.

Fordy20

Juniors
Sounds like the commentator is saying "Lyons" when the clip starts, so I reckon it's him getting axed.

Matty Head. Buy of the season when the Tigers plucked him from ESL in 2008, but then he was sidelined because the coach didn't like him. What a waste. Could still be playing now.