What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players who used to be good but then lost the plot

Kiwi

First Grade
PARRA_FAN said:
Cayless and Hindmarsh?? WTF??? Does you watch Rugby League Kiwi. :?

Cayless is nowhere near what he use to be, and same with Hindmarsh. I prefer the old running backrower Hindmarsh, not the tackling machine nothing left to in the tank to make any impact current model Hindmarsh.

As an opposition fan, I no longer fear Hindmarsh, I know he will tackle himself to a stand still against my team and do little in attack compared to what he use to do.

The Whippet

Juniors
Luke Rooney - this season has been nothing short of hopeless. How he got picked for Australia and NSW is absolutley beyond me.

Michael Witt - Was considered pretty highly by Parramatta but the second half of this season has been an average PL player.

Travis Norton - Was a great player at the Dogs but has been very poor at the Cowboys.

An41

Juniors
Rooney played well in rep games but this season has fallen to pieces, we could go on and blame it all on Paul Franze but he can take some of the blame aswell.

Caged Panther

First Grade
The Whippet said:
Luke Rooney - this season has been nothing short of hopeless. How he got picked for Australia and NSW is absolutley beyond me.

Michael Witt - Was considered pretty highly by Parramatta but the second half of this season has been an average PL player.

Travis Norton - Was a great player at the Dogs but has been very poor at the Cowboys.

In fairness to Rooney he was playing outside Franze who was average for 2/3 of the season.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Kiwi said:
Cayless is nowhere near what he use to be, and same with Hindmarsh. I prefer the old running backrower Hindmarsh, not the tackling machine nothing left to in the tank to make any impact current model Hindmarsh.

As an opposition fan, I no longer fear Hindmarsh, I know he will tackle himself to a stand still against my team and do little in attack compared to what he use to do.

Again, you havent been watching the EEls, Hindmarsh busts his @rse week in week out, and is still a damaging running back rower, in fact better than before.

Cayless has had a brilliant season, leads the forward pack up front, whilst he might not be as dangerous as Hindmarsh, he makes some good decent metres when its needed. The thing about this year is that he's stayed injury free all year.

Iafeta

Referee
Norton? Still a good player in my opinion, probably on the downhill slope of his career but certainly not "lost the plot" material.

Iafeta

Referee
Those who've picked Nathan Cayless, did they watch him this season or is it more on his previous 2 or so seasons?

This year IMO Nathan Cayless was close to the best New Zealand available prop running around.

Kiwi

First Grade
PARRA_FAN said:
Again, you havent been watching the EEls, Hindmarsh busts his @rse week in week out, and is still a damaging running back rower, in fact better than before.

Cayless has had a brilliant season, leads the forward pack up front, whilst he might not be as dangerous as Hindmarsh, he makes some good decent metres when its needed. The thing about this year is that he's stayed injury free all year.

On Cayless, meh he use to be in the top 5 front rowers in the game, now he'd be lucky to be in the top 10, yet the front rowers ahead of him now are the same ones who use to be behind him, including his brother.

On Hindmarsh, you have to be kidding, clearly i'm not the one not watching the games. Hindmarsh in attack is a shadow of his former self. He has had barely a good game in attack this year, let alone the past 2 or 3 years. Look back to 2001 when he was running riot over other teams, making breaks, setting up tries, destroying oppositions defensive lines, yet now, he does squat compared to then. Take the blue and gold goggles off dude, I like Hindmarsh, I don't think there would be many that don't, and I loved the way he use to play even though it caused me pain every time he played the Broncos, but right now, in attack he has nothing compared to then.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Kiwi you have got no idea, why do you think he got the Dally M Second Rower of the year?

And name me 9 other props better than Cayless based on this year's form.

HevyDevy

Coach
Stu Kelly

In his best years with Parramatta in 97 and 98 he was the best centre in the comp - an absolute freak - then all of sudden he just lost the plot. The past few years he's been a genuine liability. I can't believe how he lost all of his ability.

Iafeta

Referee
Kiwi said:
On Cayless, meh he use to be in the top 5 front rowers in the game, now he'd be lucky to be in the top 10, yet the front rowers ahead of him now are the same ones who use to be behind him, including his brother.

On Hindmarsh, you have to be kidding, clearly i'm not the one not watching the games. Hindmarsh in attack is a shadow of his former self. He has had barely a good game in attack this year, let alone the past 2 or 3 years. Look back to 2001 when he was running riot over other teams, making breaks, setting up tries, destroying oppositions defensive lines, yet now, he does squat compared to then. Take the blue and gold goggles off dude, I like Hindmarsh, I don't think there would be many that don't, and I loved the way he use to play even though it caused me pain every time he played the Broncos, but right now, in attack he has nothing compared to then.

The thread is titled "lost the plot".

Yes, Hindmarsh has remodled his game to be somewhat more of a tireless worker rather than a ranging wide running backrower, I think if anything he's become an even better player.

Certainly not 'lost the plot' material. Neither is Cayless. And there certainly is not 9 front rowers ahead of him on 2005 form. Yes, 2004 and probably 2003 form, but not 2005 form where he was pretty inspirational for the front running club of the competition.

Kiwi

First Grade
PARRA_FAN said:
Kiwi you have got no idea, why do you think he got the Dally M Second Rower of the year?

And name me 9 other props better than Cayless based on this year's form.

Webcke
Civoniceva
Asotasi
Price
Bailey
Ryles
Skandalis
Rauhihi
Tronc
Smith
Nutley
Wiki
O'Meley ( may have played only 14 games, but played better than Cayless )

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Kiwi said:
Webcke
Civoniceva
Asotasi
Price
Bailey
Ryles
Skandalis
Rauhihi
Tronc
Smith
Nutley
Wiki
O'Meley ( may have played only 14 games, but played better than Cayless )

I said based on this years form, O'Meley hasnt done much, Rauhihi's form has been disappointing, Ryles is overated, Tronc has been ok not as good as Cayless and Civoniceva hasnt impressed me at all this year.

D

Deleted member 10972

Jason Cayless is just as good, if not better, than his brother, but injuries shut down the end of his season. Watch Rd 1 v Souths, he smashed Cusack & Logan with huge hits, & against the Knights in Round 14 i think, made over 200 metres, more than 20 hitups, about 35 tackles & missed 1-2. Quality player who i'm sad to see leaving our club after we not only brought him out of the shadows of his bother, but turned him into a genuine International standard Prop-Forward.