What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players who used to be good but then lost the plot

bjm8

Juniors
Hohaia
Kimmorley
S Hill
T Hill
Hodges (granted he has bounced back)
Rooney
Jane Carlaw (was always over-rated, has now lost whatever little talent he had)

Moffo

Referee
Gower

and also, compare cayless now to what he used to be. You are kidding if you think he is the same player

Kiwi

First Grade
PARRA_FAN said:
I said based on this years form, O'Meley hasnt done much, Rauhihi's form has been disappointing, Ryles is overated, Tronc has been ok not as good as Cayless and Civoniceva hasnt impressed me at all this year.

Like I said O'Meley has only played 14 games, but was better than Cayless ever was this year in pretty much all of them. Civo has been great for the Broncos, when him and Webcke have been on the field the Broncos have had great go forward. Ryles started the year slowly and back then i might have agreed with you, but his form for most of the year has been great. Of the Props I named, only Tronc, Skandalis, Webcke and O'Meley have stats about the same or worse than Cayless. I know stats are not the be all and end all of judging a player, but for front rowers it's a good start.

The funny thing is, even taking off those 4, you are still left with the 9 you asked for ahead of Cayless. I think now looking at that list all bar maybe Tronc were better than Nathan Cayless this year.

Cletus

First Grade
salivor said:
Take your pick out of virtually the whole Broncos squad.

I'll have Karmichael Hunt. Still young and can prove me wrong, but hasn't lived up to the huge wraps on him.

LeagueNut

First Grade
As soon as I saw the title of this thread, one player immediately leaped to mind.

Matthew Ridge.

He didn't just lose the plot, he buried it 50 feet underground and then dropped several elephants onto it.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Vagana has still scored plenty of tries for the Sharks in the last 2 seasons and he is 30 now so what do you expect? He's hardly lost the plot.

Most of the players listed were either overrated in the first place, or haven't really lost the plot at all, but have been victims of circumstance (injury, playing in a poor team, etc). Players rarely if ever "lose their talent" imo.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
btw, I'll go Francis Meli. Not because of bad defence, (if anything by 2005 he was probably a much better defender and more solid player than he was early in his career) but because he really did seem to lose his talent. Hit-ups went from unstoppable to powderpuff sometime between 2003 and 2004.

Parra_Eels

Bench
stu kelly was unbelivable at parra from 97-2000 - one of my favourites. he unfortuantely thought moving to the broncos would further him but it has just buried him completely.

melon....

Coach
Misty Bee said:
Darren Lockyer -last year was considered the best in the world. Then Joey Johns plays 1 origin game, and Lockyer looks lame in comparison.
Locktear was never the best player in the world.

MrSharky

Juniors
RedDragon said:
Lockyer
Vagana
Firman
Manu
Peachey

Unfair call on Vagana... he was finding his old form again in the last half of the year and the semi...

Peachey didn't completely lose it... he just became inconsistant due to being part of an inconsistant side...

Firman was never good... that's why we released him ;-)

icon6.gif

Latest posts