What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players who used to be good but then lost the plot

lucablight

First Grade
What players used to be good players but have now gone to crap? Some I can think of:

Chris Walker: Former origin winger described as the next Steve Renouf. Joined the Roosters after leaving Souths and became a walking timebomb with his constant errors and his defence liabilities were exposed.

Brett Firman: Great Rookie year in 2003 with a great kicking game. Dragons were having trouble over deciding who to keep out of him and Head. Guess they made the right choice as he has been ineffective for both the Cowboys and Roosters this season.

Dane Carlaw: Seriously WTF?! Former Origin player who has completely gone soft in both attack and defence.

Scott Hill: Former origin player who is uncoordinated in attack and defence.

Stacey Jones: He used to be great to watch. At one time he was considered the best halfback in the world behind Andrew Johns. I seriously have no idea what happened to him after 2003. His speed, vision and kicking game just seemed to disappear.

Brutus

Referee
I rated Chris Heighnington before last night, but after hearing him speak to Matty Johns in a post-match interview I have lost all respect. The guy sounds dumber than Hoppa.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Darren Lockyer -last year was considered the best in the world. Then Joey Johns plays 1 origin game, and Lockyer looks lame in comparison.

NPK

Bench
Wagon - but was he ever good?

Carlaw - I agree with comment above

XXXX Cap

Juniors
jimmythehand said:
top of the list is ewan mcgrady. what was the award he won I can't remember?

He's still pretty good. Led Goondiwindi to the Toowoomba competition Premiership this year at the age of 43.

The Business

Juniors
jimmythehand said:
top of the list is ewan mcgrady. what was the award he won I can't remember?
Rothmans Medal.

Clinton Toopi was considered the best centre in 2003. Played a few games in the Bartercard Cup in 2005.

Iafeta

Referee
I thought Nathan Cayless had a good season.

Stacey Jones came second in the Players Player Association player of the year vote behind Jonathon Thurston. Had a very good year again. Very sad to see him go.

Clinton Toopi and Francis Meli are definitely two players to go on that list. And for a while, Lance Hohaia and Sione Faumuina were two more, but this season regained form. Others who were going gangbusters and then lost the plot are Jerry Seu Seu and Mark Tookey.

An41

Juniors
Luke Lewis - first year and second yer were great, now he cant even run straight every time he has the ball he runs sideways, or makes like 3 metres

Munky

Coach
An41 said:
Luke Lewis - first year and second yer were great, now he cant even run straight every time he has the ball he runs sideways, or makes like 3 metres

He's an excellent winger, ordinary centre. Was in great form midway through the season before he broke his hand.

Kiwi

First Grade
Dane Carlaw
Vella
Nathan Cayless
Nathan Hindmarsh
Daniel Wagon
Matthew Gidley

Razor

Coach
lucablight said:
Dane Carlaw: Seriously WTF?! Former Origin player who has completely gone soft in both attack and defence.

Carlaw was never up to Origin standard. He was very close to it though, in being a very good first-grader. But since he was a Bronco, he was picked for both QLD and Australia. That made him think he was better than he was, and players who think that, are sh*t because they try and do things they don't have the ability to do, or lax off at training slightly. Which is why Carlaw went from very good first grader, to average reserve grader.