What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players you rated...

Nook

Bench
We've all had a few. Blokes (usually from our own teams) who you thought were going to be worldbeaters and ultimately for whatever reason failed to live up to your (often ridiculously high?) expecations.

A few that come to mind for me:

Troy Wozniak: I thought this bloke showed some fantastic glimpses for the Tigers and I genuinely thought he was going to be a great player (as part of a predicted at the time would be a fantastic Tigers back three of Wozniak-Wilson-Galea - more on them later). Any Tigers fans remember that 100 metre try he scored against the Warriors? He was big and quick but faded away.

John Wilson: This guy was/is a clever footballer and based on the skill he showed when he first cracked the grade at Wests I think he should have achieved more than fringe first grade journeyman status.

Ben Galea: Don't get me wrong, this bloke is a great player. But for a while there (say 2001 - 2004) I really though Benny G would crack the big rep teams - NSW at least, and I do seem to remember making a bold statement after a particularly blinding left foot step that he would play for Australia. He's been a bit unlucky not to don the sky blue at some stage, in my biased opinion.

Fortunately my luck changed in 2003 - after Marshall's first couple of touches I predicted he would change the club and bring light to the dark corners of the JV. Cheers Benj.

Anyone else prepared to 'fess up?

A note to the interested reader: yep, 3:30AM. Perhaps if I spent less time thinking about / watching footy I wouldn't have to cram all night for exams for 2 weeks twice every year...

sydraider

First Grade
Mark Mclinden was the biggest let down of the lot imo.
Had the goods, just wasnt mentored properly. Clear case was when he was coached fror a week with matty johns and the following game the raiders went on to smash the broncos in qld.

I never blamed Macca, I always blamed management for him not becoming the player he should have.

2 obvious ones form the late Balmain years: Will Robinson & Jacin Sinclair.

For Robinson it was the bung knee that hampered his career. For Sinclair it was his brain, or lack there of.

Nook

Bench
I'm just old enough to remember that super few months Will Robinson had that year - I distinctly remember watching him absolutely carve some teams up from the hill at Leichhardt. Bung knee was it? I always assumed he just didn't kick on...

Sinclair was a mug. I remember seeing him at what I think was his last game for us at North Sydney Oval - played like a busted, acted like an arse. Same old really.

miccle

Bench
Gawd, far too many... but these ones explain themselves.

Brett Seymour
Fraser Anderson
Leon Bott
Tame Tupou

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
Josh Miller- Hasn't got back to pre injury form. I thought he'd be playing city country, maybe even nsw by now.

Dane Carlaw: his not playing terribly, but for the last 3-4 pre seasons i've been talking up how big a year his going to have. His 2000 was very memorable.

Joe Williams is the obvious one from Souths, if he can learn some consistency, he could be a great footballer, possibly one of the best 40/20 kickers in the game.

D

Deleted member 10972

Vince Mellars - i still rate the guy, was a standout performer in a struggling Roosters outfit last year, hasn't had a shot this season but IMO is a very very underrated player

Nigel Plum - will see the best of him at Raiders, he was worked into a stereotype by Ricky, Anderson & the gang that he is a defender, nothing more. He was the ideal replacement for Fitzgibbon once he retired...we are going to miss him...

Luke Phillips - could have been an absolute star till his shoulder injury ended his career, was an integral part of the Roosters line-up 2000-2002, put his body on the line, would playmake from the back but return kicks like a prop & hit as hard as anyone...

eels_fan

First Grade
Jack Afamsaga - played great for us in prems but couldnt handle the transition to 1st's. Last i heard i think he may be with Manly reserves??

Michael Witt - had a good year and then fizzled ... havent seen too much promise from him whilst he's been at manly or the warriors.

On that note - what ever happened to Scott Donald??? He was gun try scorer, think he went to Manly and then MIA??

Hold On...EVERYONE ends up at Manly!!

Inferno

Coach
eels_fan said:
Jack Afamsaga - played great for us in prems but couldnt handle the transition to 1st's. Last i heard i think he may be with Manly reserves??

Michael Witt - had a good year and then fizzled ... havent seen too much promise from him whilst he's been at manly or the warriors.

On that note - what ever happened to Scott Donald??? He was gun try scorer, think he went to Manly and then MIA??

Hold On...EVERYONE ends up at Manly!!

Witt has been pretty good for the Warriors this year.

macavity

Referee
Walt Flanigan said:
Jermaine Ale

played his best footy in Flegg for us. we thought we had another tahu on our hands.

turns out we were right on one thing - mercenary like tahu, thats for sure. and it fcucked his career.

went to the rooters on BIG $$$, and then to you for a last shot, and never kicked on. should have stayed in Newcastle.

back here now playing for Wests in the Real NRL, and looks decidedly average. real shame that one.

macavity

Referee
others for newcastle -

Dan Spiteri - lightening quick, could carve through any hint of a gap. just didnt have the defence to succeed at hooker, his best possie. Now playing for Souths in the Real NRL - and as his body matures, could even make it to the NRL at some stage.

Trent Estetheo - our best front-row prospect since the Chief. also our most injury prone since the Chief. Had to give up the game.

Owen Craigie - do I need to explain? Another local that never should have left. If he had some discipline (especially at the all-you-can-eat bar) could have played for Oz. Now back in Newie and has a company cleaning bins. unconfirmed whether he eats what he finds.

Paul Franze - absolute gun for us in lower grades - went to the Sharks for big $$$ (do I see a trend?) and they rushed him way too early. Fcucked his knee and lost 3 years playing on one leg, then went to play Onion in England. Back playing for us in PL and looking pretty good, starting to get some confidence back - but if he was in Smithy's plans he would have played by now. Cant see him getting another NRL run unless we have alot of injuries, although he prob deserves one, Tighe's decent game yesterday notwithstanding.

Downie

Guest Moderator
Tony Jensen. When I was younger I thought he was pretty decent. And then, nothing.

Captian_Klutz

Juniors
Storm...

Tasesa Lavea - Overrated by many people better than the Klutz. Failed eve at playing club Union.

William Leyshon - Pounce of the highest order. Went to Parra. Couldn't of been a more apt club.

Semi Tadulala - Looked the goods in attack... Was a lamb in defense.

Mitchell Sargent - Absolutely awesome player and has displayed this numerous times. Hope he gets to do it more consistently.... Hopefully for a team other than the Knights :p

Latest posts