What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players your club have signed

ngunity

Juniors
Kris Keating for the Bulldogs this year.

I didn't know about him 'cause I've been living overseas and thought the Dogs should promptly fire both KK and Ben Roberts out of a cannon for their gross incompetence in 2011 then bring along our Toyota cup five eight star Aiden Sezur.

I was wrong about KK and I'm liking his work this year, it can't be easy to come into a major rebuilding year and do as well as he's done. I absolutely don't blame him for the Boyd interception (which broke the hearts of untold thousands of dogs fans) and thank goodness we have him instead of Daniel Mortimer; we really dodged that bullet!!

Over recent years: not a moment goes by I don't lament that the dogs threw so much money at that SoB SBW.....

ethos

Live Update Team
From this year: Jack Reed.

Saw a bit of him in the Queensland Cup and didn't stand out at all. But he's been amazingly solid and consistent for us so far.

anjado

Juniors
i thought i would name a team

1. Barwick - Canterbury's back up fullback had a superb season in 1991.

2. Mackay - Signed in the draft in 1991 didn't expect much but he went on to play reguarly for NSW and once for Australia.

3. Whatuira - Playing Queensland cup i thought he was solid for Melbourne without being spectacular but he was truly great for Penrith.

4. Girdler - He looked really promising at Illawarra but was stuck behind two very good centres in Rodwell and McGregor in hindsight i am sure Illawarra are kicking themselves for not releasing Rodwell and keeping Girdler. Went on to break all sorts of records for Penrith and NSW and Australia one of the best 5 players the club has ever had.

5. Roberts - Played one season for Penrith was top tryscorer in the NRL and looked awesome. I always rated him at St George but i didn't think he would end up this good.

6. Mortimer - considered maybe washed up or finished Chris Mortimer was arguably the best signing in Penrith's history.

7. Walsh - People like to bag Luke Walsh a lot but he has done a very good job for Penrith since the boardroom thought let's get rid of all of our halves. Walsh set up over 40 tries last season and that for me is a great effort doesn't matter how they come.

8. Ross - Fringe St George player was absolutely awesome for Penrith in 2003 and 2004. Played origin for Queensland and was pretty unlucky not to play for Australia.

9. Seluini - He has made a huge impact already when i thought it might take him a while. Plus Penrith have usually had a high standard of Dummy halves.

10. Clarke - Like Ross a fringe first grader for Balmain couldn't crack a start because of there awesome pack. Came to Penrith and provided great go forward for the clubs 2 Grand Final appearances.

11. Galuvao - Warriors fullback when we signed him. Moved to the forwards was one of the clubs best performers in 2002 where he worked his ass off week in week out. Became even better in 2003 forming a great partnership with Puletua it was Galuvao brought the best out of him.

12. Adamson - Like Galuvao signed to play Fullback from Parramatta where he had only played one first grade game. Was signed in 1993 when Penrith signed a huge amount of players well over a dozen. Adamson was the best of them all easily he went on to play for Australia in Super League which was probably his best season, Left the club under bad circumstances. but he was a very good player for Penrith for a few seasons.

13. Sattler -Signed from Gold Coast Chargers when they folded. I really knew little about him he was a journeyman. But from his signing to the day he left he gave his all for the club and was rewarded with a fantastic personal moment in the 2003 Grand Final. Personally i will remember him as much for his performances in his first season in 1999 when he was a wider running back rower i believe he scored about 10 tries and was a threat every time he had the ball.

14. Stapleton - Personally i thought this would be the worst signing we have ever made. He proved me massively wrong by being very good in his only season for Penrith he was arguably our best player.

15. Domic - Nothing much was expected of the Squid at Penrith but i thought he did a very good job. His first couple of seasons he looked like the perfect replacement for Matt Sing who had left the club a couple of years earlier.

16. Smith - Nathan Smith was signed from Canberra as a winger who hadn't played for 12 months. He has been pretty good for Penrith without being spectacular he has been solid and worked hard and exceeded my expectations for him.

17. Greenhill - Penrith signed him when he had broken his neck. I thought typical Penrith to sign a man with a broken neck but i guess he can't be anymore injury prone then David Woods. To be honest him making first grade after his injury was a huge achievement in my eyes and he also went on to play again for Queensland in 99 and 2000. So it was a huge personal achievement for him and he was a good solid front rower for us.

BM1979

Juniors
Darren Britt was one who I never really rated at all but thought he was great when he came to the Dogs,

RedVDave

First Grade
Matt Bickerstaff
Mathew Head (when he came back to us in 2009 filled in very nicely at hooker)
Sam Isemonger
Michael Lett
Kirk Reynoldson
Wendell Sailor (I don't think anybody excpected him to have the impact which he did for us turned out to be a great, great signing)

Barry Berrigan
Michael Ennis

but the biggest was Justin Hodges. I so didnt want him back after his Roosters years, boy was I wrong.

Parra Guru

Coach
Jason Moodie
Glenn Morrison (thought he would be good, but he was awesome)
Dean Widders
Jason Taylor
Brad Drew
John Simon
Mark Tookey
Casey McGuire
Jeff Robson
Adam Peek

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Mitch Brown for the Tigers. Why he never played much FG at the Sharks of all teams amazes me. He is big, strong and fast, played great for us last year at fullback. Can also play wing or centre so is a handy player to have in the squad.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Mitch Brown for the Tigers. Why he never played much FG at the Sharks of all teams amazes me. He is big, strong and fast, played great for us last year at fullback. Can also play wing or centre so is a handy player to have in the squad.
Has me puzzled too, we prefered Simmons.

On topic, John Morris has been very good for us, to be fair we have played him at hooker, I did fear he would play halfback.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Who are the players that your club have signed that you thought were going to be duds,has been, fill ins or you never heard of but ended up better than you expected.
For the warriors
Kevin Campion
Michael Luck
Jason Death
George Gatis
Krisnan Inu
Robbie Mears

Wade McKinnon in his first year.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Todd Payten, Scott Prince, Terry Hill, Pat Richards, Brett Hodgson and Keith Galloway

Big Pete

Referee
Barry Berrigan
Michael Ennis

but the biggest was Justin Hodges. I so didnt want him back after his Roosters years, boy was I wrong.

Argh! How could I forget about Hodges? Voted the most overated player the year before he was right up there with Mundine as the club's most unpopular signing. However, unlike the champ, Hodges proved all the haters wrong to become one of the best centres of his generation. Great call PWA!

I wouldn't have included Ennis - he always looked like a handy pick up and he came relatively cheap too.

D

Deleted member 10972

Joel Monaghan (Raiders) - good (good enough)
Amos Roberts (Panthers) - good
Richard Fa'aoso (Panthers) - okay
Shane Shackleton (Dragons NSW Cup) - okay
Nigel Plum (Tigers NSW Cup) - okay
Brett Firman (Dragons) - dud

Braith Anasta (Bulldogs) - good
Ashley Harrison (Souths) - okay
Vince Mellars (Sharks) - okay
Setaimata Sa (Bartercard Cup) - okay
Shaun Foley (RU) - okay
John Doyle (retirement) - okay
Josh Lewis (Dragons Flegg) - dud
Lafi Manua (jail?) - dud
Charles Tonga (Bulldogs) - dud
Mark Edmondson (ESL) - dud
Glenn Hall (Souths) - dud

Nate Myles (Bulldogs) - good
Danny Nutley (ESL) - okay
John Williams (Eels) - okay
Willie Brown (JB Cup) - dud
Chris Beattie (ESL) - dud

Willie Mason (Bulldogs) - good for 1 year, awful the next
Mark O'Meley (Bulldogs) - good for 1 year, awful the next
James Aubusson (Storm) - okay
Riley Brown (Knights) - okay
Brent Grose (ESL) - dud
Sean Rudder (retirement) - dud

Jordan Tansey (ESL) - dud
Nick Kouparitsas (Bulldogs) - dud
Sisa Waqa (Fiji?) - dud
Iwi Hauraki (Eels NSW Cup) - dud
Sonny Tuigamala (Panthers NYC) - dud

Todd Carney (Raiders via Atherton) - good
Joseph Leilua (Dragons SG Ball) - good
Kane Linnett (Dragons NYC) - good
Jason Ryles (ESL) - good
Daniel Conn (Titans) - good
Aiden Guerra (Storm NSW Cup) - okay
Phil Graham (Raiders) - okay
Jared Waerea-Hargreaves (Manly) - okay
Daniel Fepuleai (Dragons NSW Cup) - dud
Brad Takairangi (Souths NYC) - dud
Jonathan Ford (Knights NYC) - dud
Jason Baitieri (Eels NYC) - dud

Justin Carney (Raiders QLD Cup) - okay
Anthony Watts (Cowboys) - dud

Those are only players we have seen. There are a fair few others who didn't even make the list because they didn't make it to the field - Tevita Folau, Albert Hopoate, Gary Natoealafa, and a few others...