What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Playoffs 2008

Seamus Haney

Juniors
1st off, congrats to all playoff teams. Every team in the playoffs deserve to be there.

Since this is a forum, I have some questions and opinions.

I was wondering, How does the league come up with the season schedule? The Bulls are a great team... BUT, they played the weakest, easiest schedule out of everyone. They only had one away game to Virginia and they played Philly twice and Fairfax twice. Can someone please explain how that can happen? I don't want to jump to conclusions, but it seems the Bulls runs the league and they have the final say in everything including the schedule. Same BS, different season.

Will the league actually follow through with the 19 man roster during the playoffs? My bet will be-NO. No, because it's a disadvantage to the bulls

Opinions
-Fairfax will be a contender in 2009.:oops:
-Sharks had the most disappointing season.:(
-Warriors will win the 2008 championship!:D

Good luck to all teams in the playoffs! :lol:

Poul

Juniors
Week 1 of the playoffs will see the Slayers take on the Axeman in Jacksonville (wonder what sort of crowd the Axeman will be able to generate for their first home final?), and the Knights will take on the Wildcats in Connecticut.
Should be good games, with some better ones to follow.

jim_57

Staff member
Should be great games. I wish I could watch them somehow.

Axemen by 10, Wildcats by 8.

Do the Wildcats get decent crowds? Hiopefully they can get over 1000 to their game and Jax can get over 2,500.

DaBulls

Juniors
Yes, the league will stick to the 19 man roster.

Care to explain why if they didn't it would be an advantage to the Bulls if they do? If you think it has something to do with fitness then you need to come to a trainings and see how fit the team is. I would put their fitness up against anyone.

Virginia was not their only away game. Philly away, Sharks away and the Knights down the shore. Yes, they could have had a tougher schedule but they didn't let up no matter who the competition. Good news is if they win the Grand Final they will have had to go through everyone in the league except the Raiders. (assuming the Cats and Axemen win their quarter final games setting up a Cats/Bulls semi and the Warriors go to the GF). So let's just wait and see before trying to belittle the Bulls for their season so far.

Last edited:

roopy

Referee
The Cats must have pulled the troops in for the finals to win by that much.

I hope the Axemen had good weather and a great crowd for another fantastic day of League.

RhinoCats

Juniors
A great game, Cats and Knights deserve credit. The two fullbacks were awesome, Dan Power scored one of the best indivual tries I have ever seen, the Knights fullback was involved in everything. A warriors player was the ref and he did a very good job considering the magnitude of the game. look out Bulls :)

BCSharksRLFC

Juniors
I agree the wildcats played a great game. I'm uploading the highlight reel from it right now and I believe I put Dan's try in there. Otherwise, I also have a DVD of the entire game if anyone is interested.

Be on the lookout for the highlight reel posted on here and www.americanrugbynews.com

Cheers

Poul

Juniors
Unconfirmed reports have the Jacksonville Axemen withdrawing from the playoffs :shock: I do not know the reasons.

This weekends semifinals will be:

Warriors v Wildcats

Bulls v Knights

I await with great interest to see if this is substantiated.
After such a great season, it is a tragedy to see the Axemen withdrawing :(

roopy

Referee
I'm speechless if that's true.
The only reason i could think of is lack of finances - and hopefully that isn't the problem.

Last edited:

DaBulls

Juniors
Yes, that is correct. The Axemen will be folding. The semi finals will now be Bulls v Knights and Cats v Warriors.

tcc_dc

Juniors
Unconfirmed reports have the Jacksonville Axemen withdrawing from the playoffs :shock: I do not know the reasons.

This weekends semifinals will be:

Warriors v Wildcats

Bulls v Knights

I await with great interest to see if this is substantiated.
After such a great season, it is a tragedy to see the Axemen withdrawing :(

If that is the case, the Slayers should be the ones who make it based off going to FL to play the Axemen....but then again, unless you are NY or the Bulls you really will not get any favors from the AMNRL...

Since the schedule was unbalanced, so the Knights should not get slotted due to being ahead of the Slayers in the standings.

tcc

roopy

Referee
I'm gutted.
I hope a lower level comp can kick off in Florida next season so all the good work is not wasted.
Even if it's only four sides playing each other twice - it will be a start.

BCSharksRLFC

Juniors
Also, about the knights getting the spot against the warriors, a factor may have been the Slayers going against NZ this saturday?

brucewed

Juniors
Why did they drop...anyone?
The official reason that I've heard is "Funds". Shame, but with the price of gas being what it is a trip to PA from FL is expensive. Flights at short notice are not practical because of cost so it's up to everyone to drive.

Credit to the Slayers who were able to marshall a team to travel to Jax twice this year.

stevet

Juniors
spoke to spinner today,very quiet said he would post intentions,sad day for rugby league, hopefully the bradenton bulldogs can get some other teams to play,we are a long way off,i have had a tough time with players jailed and sent to rehab ,i must be blind, i feel sometimes to whats happening around me,but i wish jaxaxe all the best ! whatever is going on , i hope it does not affect our great game,good luck spinner and the boys from all at bulldogs

jim_57

Staff member
That's a real shame, Warriors probably still would have won but it would have been great experience for next year.

I heard the boys got a mention at the Jaguars game and got shown on the big screen. I even saw on another forum someone say he saw them at the jags game and didn't know Jacksonville had a team, he said he is going to learn the rules and attend from now on. :D

Latest posts