What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please, anyone else in 2021

Wb1234

Immortal
Seriously mate what is this response? Most competitions in the world have a draft or some other mechanism on top of salary cap. You do this to avoid teams just planting themselves at the top of the ladder. Now you can label it as anti-Darwinistic if you like but Rugby League like any other sporting competition is a product. If a sporting contest becomes predictable then support will wane eventually. Also the game twenty years ago was amazing for that fact - it was unpredictable.

I’m sure V’Landys considering he is a gambling man would be acutely aware of this and will do something and he has infected that in the past.
Yeh Penrith should only be allowed 12 players on the field

How’s premier league fare as a sporting comp

Iamback

Coach
Seriously mate what is this response? Most competitions in the world have a draft or some other mechanism on top of salary cap. You do this to avoid teams just planting themselves at the top of the ladder. Now you can label it as anti-Darwinistic if you like but Rugby League like any other sporting competition is a product. If a sporting contest becomes predictable then support will wane eventually. Also the game twenty years ago was amazing for that fact - it was unpredictable.

I’m sure V’Landys considering he is a gambling man would be acutely aware of this and will do something and he has infected that in the past.

How many NBA teams have no chance to even make playoffs? Hell most openly tank. There isn't a comp in the world that has a higher % of teams with finals chances than NRL

Iamback

Coach

Even the NBA you have maybe 6 teams out of 30 have a chance to win. 4 are trying to run last for a top draft pick.

It is crazy that people think you can get parity in sport

Colk

First Grade
How many NBA teams have no chance to even make playoffs? Hell most openly tank. There isn't a comp in the world that has a higher % of teams with finals chances than NRL

Huh? How many of them could actually win? Let’s be honest the choice is two teams. If you go by that barometer most competitions in the world are more open than this one.

flippikat

First Grade
I
Seriously mate what is this response? Most competitions in the world have a draft or some other mechanism on top of salary cap. You do this to avoid teams just planting themselves at the top of the ladder.
Precisely this.

During my childhood here in NZ, the Auckland rugby union team was absolutely dominant in the mid-late 1980s - and guess what?

People got bored of it & started looking for alternatives to watch, which lead to the upswing in popularity of the (then) NSWRL Premiership.

I fear that if the current dominance of Panthers, Storm & to a degree Roosters keeps running then we're going to see some disillusionment really coming from viewers & fans.

Colk

First Grade

Ah yes the premier league counter argument. Hate to break to you but rugby league in this country is about the equivalent of the A-League in comparison to football in England. When Rugby League is the only sport played in Australia in winter then you might have a point

Wb1234

Immortal
Ah yes the premier league counter argument. Hate to break to you but rugby league in this country is about the equivalent of the A-League in comparison to football in England. When Rugby League is the only sport played in Australia in winter then you might have a point
Rugby league in this country is arguably the number one sport

This might shock you but st george dragons won 11 comps in a row

Why aren’t English soccer fans not watching it when most teams have no chance of winning it

Colk

First Grade
Even the NBA you have maybe 6 teams out of 30 have a chance to win. 4 are trying to run last for a top draft pick.

It is crazy that people think you can get parity in sport

The argument isn’t parity mate. It is unpredictability. When something is unpredictable, it is more exciting. Also, I’m not talking about within a year, or even a couple of years, I’m talking about five years, ten years or twenty years.

For example, I have never seen an NBA team or a MLB team (I don’t know anything about gridiron) to essentially be in the top 1-2 or 3 chances to win a competition for 15-20 years as the Storm and Roosters have. That’s weird.

Wb1234

Immortal
The argument isn’t parity mate. It is unpredictability. When something is unpredictable, it is more exciting. Also, I’m not talking about within a year, or even a couple of years, I’m talking about five years, ten years or twenty years.

For example, I have never seen an NBA team or a MLB team (I don’t know anything about gridiron) to essentially be in the top 1-2 or 3 chances to win a competition for 15-20 years as the Storm and Roosters have. That’s weird.

80s Boston and la in nba

Colk

First Grade
Rugby league in this country is arguably the number one sport

This might shock you but st george dragons won 11 comps in a row

Why aren’t English soccer fans not watching it when most teams have no chance of winning it

1. That’s very very arguably.
2. Yeah and changed the whole game to stop them from winning more. Funny that.
3. I can’t answer the question and even if I could it’s a useless comparison in any case. The NRL isn’t soccer in Europe. We are in a highly competitive market and they aren’t.

Colk

First Grade
80s Boston and la in nba

Yeah and Boston have only just started another great side 20-30 years after their last one. As soon as Bird retirex they had to go back to the beginning. Chicago haven’t sniffed a comp since Jordan. It’s cyclical and that’s my point. That doesn’t mean that it gets shared around but it does mean that teams from the bottom have a greater opportunity to get their way off the bottom.

The whole point of something in conjunction with a salary cap is to ensure that teams from small markets have a shot of recruiting talent. Otherwise in America, teams from New York, LA and maybe some more populous cities would like Dallas or Chicago would just win. That is because It would become boring.

BuffaloRules

Coach

The NRL has just had a record year for crowds and TV ratings ..so no one is getting sick of the dominance yet …

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Fans who want their side to throw games are f**king wild and drafts only work in sports where you don't have competition for talent. If I was a gun 18 year old and the Tigers drafted me I'd tell them to get f**ked. I'd then pop over to the Super League for a few years. Failing that I'd go play kick and clap in Japan

Chins get the wins

First Grade
The NRL has just had a record year for crowds and TV ratings ..so no one is getting sick of the dominance yet …
My traditionally shitty club turned it around so I see no reason sides like Canberra, Newcastle or even St Merge if they are smart enough to move to the Gong full time can't do the same.
Hell even the Tigpies could do it if they took the hard route and went to Campbelltown fulltime.

flippikat

First Grade

Precisely, and the thing is that any league won't like a decade or so where there's NOT that unpredictability.

BuffaloRules

Coach
My traditionally shitty club turned it around so I see no reason sides like Canberra, Newcastle or even St Merge if they are smart enough to move to the Gong full time can't do the same.
Hell even the Tigpies could do it if they took the hard route and went to Campbelltown fulltime.

Im not too concerned about it … your traditionally shitty club won’t continue to dominate whilst elite players walk out the door every year …can’t defy the laws of physics forever ..

Latest posts