What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please Don't sack Seibold

Knight Vision

First Grade
Serious question, who’s the coach who can take the heat & expectation that comes with the 2-3 year rebuild?
Serious answer to that would be- The coach with the most friends in the media.

Media set the narrative and at the moment roasting Seibold garners the most clicks.

My guess is Kevvie would have a long media honeymoon, and generate a huge amount of nice articles.
" Club son returns " type articles.

Failure in his first year would be put down to "cleaning up the mess" failure in the second year would be
" they're making progress " etc etc ....

Perth Red

Post Whore
Serious answer to that would be- The coach with the most friends in the media.

Media set the narrative and at the moment roasting Seibold garners the most clicks.

My guess is Kevvie would have a long media honeymoon, and generate a huge amount of nice articles.
" Club son returns " type articles.

Failure in his first year would be put down to "cleaning up the mess" failure in the second year would be
" they're making progress " etc etc ....

You have to wonder what the link between Brisbane being owned by News Ltd and them wanting him gone but not to pay out his 5 years, and the pressure being put on him by News Ltd media is dont you? Do we know where the social media trolling originated yet? Just saying.

some11

Referee
He should be sending gifts to the Bulldogs club to thank them for being even more shit.
The bulldogs have been playing with more heart recently than the Broncos.

Last week was heartbreak for the dogs, I actually like their team this week. Lord knows all of LU are behind them to notch a couple of wins before the season ends. If they dropped that plodder Katoa they'd be a much better chance.

some11

Referee
You men there is a chance?
images
lmao

Henjak had the players against him most of the time but at least after that infamous 56-0 drubbing he got them up again to win 7 in a row and into a prelim. Absolutely 0 chance seiplod inspires this lot.

Knight Vision

First Grade
You have to wonder what the link between Brisbane being owned by News Ltd and them wanting him gone but not to pay out his 5 years, and the pressure being put on him by News Ltd media is dont you? Do we know where the social media trolling originated yet? Just saying.
and the fact that by virtue of even getting the job Seibold effectively put offside some very influential hitters within the game.

1) the supercoach with many friends in both the media and supporters within the club ( including his love child who remains in the roster)
2) the clubs favorite son in Kevvie with many friends in both the media and supporters within the clubs old boys.

Anything outside the top 4 and Seibold was set for an all time roasting, in other words Seibold was on a hiding to nothing.

Knight Vision

First Grade
If Seibold was more adept at politics he would have realised the landscape and made moves to avoid what was otherwise inevitable.

Moves should have been

1) Instead of butting heads with Wayne he should have sought his counsel and received his blessing.
2) invited the old boys into the fold to mentor the young players in Broncos culture
3) invited Kevvie into a advisory role

The above 3 steps would have gone a very long way to avert the situation.

Better to have your enemies inside your tent pissing out than outside your tent pissing in.

Danish

Referee
So, 10 games ago Seibold was given the ultimatum of winning 5 from his last 10. They've so far gone 0 / 5, meaning nothing by a 5 game winning streak can keep him in the job now.

Or has he found an escape clause by not technically being their coach the last couple weeks?

blaza88z

Coach
So, 10 games ago Seibold was given the ultimatum of winning 5 from his last 10. They've so far gone 0 / 5, meaning nothing by a 5 game winning streak can keep him in the job now.

Or has he found an escape clause by not technically being their coach the last couple weeks?

That was a bullshit report

_Johnsy

Referee
You know things are crook when whomever from the club/board has been leaking info to the media (to justify sacking TPJ), yet they manage to stuff it up. TPJ is now chasing up unpaid $$ from a third party agreement, which is yet to be paid (I thought the thoroughbreds were defunct?). In a shock twist the club has softened their stance on TPJ with Locky even coming out publicly backing him. My guess is they obtained legal advice after mounting the PR offensive against TPJ. I find it hilarious there has been very little heat on the club board who are the drivers of this narrative to sack TPJ. Things are going to get very interesting over the next few months. Don't be surprised if a board member or two disappear quietly into the night with very little fanfare (after Paul White goes).

Board members (News Ltd still have their fingers throughout the corporate structure of the broncs)
Karl Morris AO (Chairman) - Anthony Joseph - Kevin Lawlor (Alternate Director) - Darren Lockyer - Neil Monaghan - Vicki Wilson

Info on all board members https://www.macroaxis.com/invest/executives/BBL.AX/Brisbane-Broncos

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-investigates-pangai-jnr-third-party-deals-20200822-p55ocx.html

Broncos star Tevita Pangai jnr will meet with officials from the NRL integrity unit on Zoom on Monday to discuss missing payments that have infuriated him and have the potential to cause problems for all those connected to his deal.

Sources at the NRL say Pangai is driving the issue. He is being pressured from some in the game to keep quiet and move on. Pangai went on a charm offensive on Friday, conducting a series of interviews. But he is determined to find out who owes him what and why he has not seen the money.

There was an odd olive branch offered by the Broncos to Pangai during the week, delivered very publicly by Brisbane board member Darren Lockyer, who said he liked the passion Pangai has for the club. It is impossible to know how far-reaching the meeting with the integrity unit will be. It will be Pangai’s second sit-down with the NRL. The first revealed his COVID-19 protocol breaches.

No one will tell me exactly what the deals promised to Pangai were worth, but sources close to the situation say it is a significant six-figure amount. The Warriors were left perplexed when they floated an $800,000 offer for Pangai and he ultimately signed for about $650,000 with Brisbane last year. The $150,000 disparity may be significant.

The most important issue the NRL will examine is if there is a record of the deals. Who made any promises and who did the deal at the Broncos are key questions that need to be answered. I’m sure the integrity unit has more questions than these. You would anticipate Pangai’s agent, Isaac Moses, will want to be by his client’s side when he is asked about any extra income that was offered. Moses didn’t attend Pangai’s initial meeting with the integrity unit when he confessed to a range of biosecurity breaches.

Dingo_dan

Juniors
You know things are crook when whomever from the club/board has been leaking info to the media (to justify sacking TPJ), yet they manage to stuff it up. TPJ is now chasing up unpaid $$ from a third party agreement, which is yet to be paid (I thought the thoroughbreds were defunct?). In a shock twist the club has softened their stance on TPJ with Locky even coming out publicly backing him. My guess is they obtained legal advice after mounting the PR offensive against TPJ. I find it hilarious there has been very little heat on the club board who are the drivers of this narrative to sack TPJ. Things are going to get very interesting over the next few months. Don't be surprised if a board member or two disappear quietly into the night with very little fanfare (after Paul White goes).

Board members (News Ltd still have their fingers throughout the corporate structure of the broncs)
Karl Morris AO (Chairman) - Anthony Joseph - Kevin Lawlor (Alternate Director) - Darren Lockyer - Neil Monaghan - Vicki Wilson

Info on all board members https://www.macroaxis.com/invest/executives/BBL.AX/Brisbane-Broncos

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-investigates-pangai-jnr-third-party-deals-20200822-p55ocx.html

Broncos star Tevita Pangai jnr will meet with officials from the NRL integrity unit on Zoom on Monday to discuss missing payments that have infuriated him and have the potential to cause problems for all those connected to his deal.

Sources at the NRL say Pangai is driving the issue. He is being pressured from some in the game to keep quiet and move on. Pangai went on a charm offensive on Friday, conducting a series of interviews. But he is determined to find out who owes him what and why he has not seen the money.

There was an odd olive branch offered by the Broncos to Pangai during the week, delivered very publicly by Brisbane board member Darren Lockyer, who said he liked the passion Pangai has for the club. It is impossible to know how far-reaching the meeting with the integrity unit will be. It will be Pangai’s second sit-down with the NRL. The first revealed his COVID-19 protocol breaches.

No one will tell me exactly what the deals promised to Pangai were worth, but sources close to the situation say it is a significant six-figure amount. The Warriors were left perplexed when they floated an $800,000 offer for Pangai and he ultimately signed for about $650,000 with Brisbane last year. The $150,000 disparity may be significant.

The most important issue the NRL will examine is if there is a record of the deals. Who made any promises and who did the deal at the Broncos are key questions that need to be answered. I’m sure the integrity unit has more questions than these. You would anticipate Pangai’s agent, Isaac Moses, will want to be by his client’s side when he is asked about any extra income that was offered. Moses didn’t attend Pangai’s initial meeting with the integrity unit when he confessed to a range of biosecurity breaches.

If TPJ manages to bring down both the Broncos and Issac Moses then he must immediately become the 14th immortal

Diesel

Referee

Two words: Andrew Gee

blaza88z

Coach
Big call suggesting members of the board will ride off into the sunset, huge call, it's not like we've been a complete embarrassment this season or anything

_Johnsy

Referee
Big call suggesting members of the board will ride off into the sunset, huge call, it's not like we've been a complete embarrassment this season or anything
It's just so not like Brisbane's board to be this sloppy. One thing you don't associated with any Brisbane Bronco's board is what's been happening for the last couple of years, so un-Brisbane like. I feel there might be some staff turnover at board level at the conclusion of this season & before next season kicks off, & I reckon they'll try to go very quietly. Just have a gut feeling.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Came across this article written by Steve Mascord a few years ago. Man Seibold comes across as a bit of a strange dude in it. Very high on himself.

https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2017/09/08/men-of-the-world-anthony-seibold/

Anthony Seibold has had an impressive education in Rugby League across several countries and positions. Even in 2013 Rugby League journo Steve Mascord named him as a 'man of the world' who could cover most coaches on distance travelled.

We've gone into our archives to pull out Mascord's article from 2013.

------

“Pfffft!” You can almost picture Anthony Seibold, the current Melbourne Storm Under 20s coach, rolling his eyes as he read our first Men Of The World feature a couple of months back.

If you’ll remember, Dustin Cooper told us how he started out in Australia before rugby league took him to France and to the United States. Cooper spoke passionately about the opportunities the game can give young men to see the world – an aspect of a playing career in our game that is not often highlighted.

This monthly feature is not intended to be a contest – but if it was, we could hand over the gold medal right now to A Seibold. He’s got everyone I’ve ever met covered.

“I was an elite junior in both cricket and rugby league,” Anthony tells us the day after a Storm home game recently.

“I chose rugby league, I was recruited by the great Cyril Connell and I left St Brendan’s Yeppoon to join the Brisbane Broncos.

“This was up 1992 to 1995. I captained the Under 21s, played reserve grade, never played first grade but that was a great era for the Broncos. I’d look around my reserve grade team and there were fellows like Paul Hauff and Gavin Allen and Mark Hohn out there.”

Then his wanderlust kicked in. The call came from St Esteve in France and he took it. “I was right out of my comfort zone in France but it was a great life experience,” he recalls.

Injury intervened, Anthony returned to Australia and joined Brisbane Wests in a stint that included a clash at Port Moresby’s famous Robson Oval. His association with Gary Grienke would soon lead to another odyssey – in Canberra for 1997 and 1998.

“I had been a promising kid who couldn’t make first grade in Brisbane while they were winning all those comps,” he said.

“After going to France, coming back, playing in the Q Cup – I finally made first grade and played a fair bit of it down there in Canberra alongside some great players .”

Our hero met his wife in Australia’s national capital and could easily have pulled up stumps when it came to his rugby league escapades. Some people form attachments to familiar smells, sights and sounds and eschew opportunities elsewhere out of fear.

It’s fair to say Anthony Seibold is not one of those people.

“London Broncos had suffered a few injuries and the call came to go and have a go at Super League under Dan Stains,” he recalls with relish.

“I was Cup-tied and couldn’t play at Wembley in the Challenge Cup final, which was disappointing, but there were some good times.

“Richard Branson gave us all a present of mobile phones with months worth of credit on them. Another time, five of us opened the Brit Awards on drums with Queen and Five!

“And there was also the time we stripped off to pose as centrefolds in the gay magazine Campaign. They were always interesting times when Richard owned the club.

“At the end of the 2000 Super League season, in a win over Leeds at Headingley, I did my ACL (knee ligament and most of the next year.”

Again, Seibold returned to Brisbane, combining some university lecturing with footy for the Ipswich Jets. Next stop? C’mon – guess!

“Hull,” he says. “Hull KR were trying to get promoted to Super League, they heard I was available.

“Mal Reilly was the coach and I used to get him to tell me stories about the old days at Manly. I loved playing under him. I ended up captaining the team at the end of 2003 and into 2004.

“I’d just turned 30 and didn’t think anyone would be interested in signing me again. Then I got a call from Pete Nolan and John Dixon at the Brisbane Broncos.

“They wanted and older player/mentor type for the Toowoomba Clydesdales, who were their feeder team. Adrian vowles had done the job before. That was a great team – Sam Thaiday, Greg Eastwood, Nick Kenny….”

But by now, Seibold had his eyes permanently on the horizon. “John Dixon was going over to start the Celtic Crusaders in Wales and he kept asking me what it was like over there.

“I got to thinking and I said ‘if you can find a job for me, I’ll go with you’. I went and in three years, we got up into Super League.”

When the Crusaders moved from Bridgend to Wrexham, Seibold was torn. His wife Holly had a job teaching in the south of Wales. So, eventually, he stayed behind and helped set up the South Wales Scorpions.’

“We had Brian Noble and John Sharp there and I don’t mind saying I learned plenty then about how not to treat people,” he says. “I don’t mind having a go at them because I don’t agree with some of the things they did.”

In 2010, Seibold was named RFL coach of the year for his work at the Scorpions.

“I was in Portugal at the holiday home of one of the owners of the Crusaders and I went to check my email,” he recalls.

“It was from the Mackay Cutters. They were looking for a coach. And so there was another chapter.”

But wait, there’s more! “My grandfather is German and the German rugby league asked if I’d like to come and help coach and play in an international in Estonia.

“So on a bye weekend in Wales, I did. I went and played a rugby league international in Estonia.”

After two years coaching the Queensland Cup side based in north Queensland, Seibold was head-hunted by arguably our greatest current coach, Craig Bellamy.

His youngest daughter Isabella is 10 and has already lived in four countries. “I hate it when people say rugby league is just two states and the north of England,” he says.

“I have seen the passion of fans in France. I have experienced how crazy it is to play in Port Moresby. I have played in a Hull derby where 16,000 sounded like 50,000.

“I played at Canberra when Mal Meninga was there and he was a hero of mine. I played with Ricky Stuart and Laurie Daley.

“And when I went to London, I played with Martin Offiah and Shaun Edwards. I’ve been lucky.

“You can have great life experiences in rugby league. You can go away having ‘not made it’ and come back and play first grade.

“Most of the kids I coach wouldn’t even know they play rugby league in France, which is an indictment against our code.

“So when people say rugby league is just a local game, it really shits me.”

_Johnsy

Referee
Came across in that article like a 19 year old kid going for a few jobs & puffing out his resume to make it seem more impressive than it actually is.

AnonymousLurker

Juniors
What’s everyone’s thoughts about media people In the game talking about action from trolls due to his incident. I agree it was poor and bs and people should be done for it , BUT is it worse then what the media have been doing to him (and that is considered legit). All season they been talking about him getting sack (last year too). Even with him taking personal time off they haven’t stopped . In terms of mental health and bullying isn’t it far worse then those shitty rumours (which were far fetched anyway).
I just find it amusing the same media lecturing the public about trolls and bullying and there conduct in my eyes far worse

DeeJ

Bench
What’s everyone’s thoughts about media people In the game talking about action from trolls due to his incident. I agree it was poor and bs and people should be done for it , BUT is it worse then what the media have been doing to him (and that is considered legit). All season they been talking about him getting sack (last year too). Even with him taking personal time off they haven’t stopped . In terms of mental health and bullying isn’t it far worse then those shitty rumours (which were far fetched anyway).
I just find it amusing the same media lecturing the public about trolls and bullying and there conduct in my eyes far worse

That's just typical media shit. They love to point fingers and lay blame while presenting this better than you approach. They will attack their competitors and greedily push out headlines for attention and instant gratification.