What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PLEASE NRL DON'T FOLLOW US BRITS WITH THIS.

_Johnsy

Referee
Nah there's definitely an element of the slippery slope to this stuff.

I'm not saying that contact sports will necessarily be banned or anything, though I wouldn't say that's impossible either, but small changes like this will escalate just like it inevitably does with any other controlled activity.
There is slippery slope, and there is hysterical rants "then contact is gone altogether". As I said, what an absolute load of horsehyte.

Just MO, I have nil issues if it limits permanent damage to players. Remember Adam Ritson?

Chimp

Bench
Remember Feka Paleasena steaming off the back fence from a kick off - I’d like to see someone try and stop that momentum by tackling low…. It’s kamikaze - rules being made by idiots in suits trying to defend ridiculous litigation attempts by broke ex-players who were also drink/drug merchants, that now want an extra payday…. because ‘it’s the games fault’, even though the science didn’t exist to show there was an issue at their time of playing the game. How many times do we need to see blokes forced to tackle low getting spazzed by a head in the wrong place/contacting hip etc… it’s proven already in studies in rugby union that lowering legal tackle height has actually increased concussions. It’s a PR rule change, that doesn’t even work.
I genuinely believe the sport needs to ‘breakaway’ from the past, start a ‘new sport’ with early 2000’s rugby league rules (at this point it was still brutal, but legally brutal and rid of the Nasty cheap shots) - classify the sport as a ‘combat sport’, contracts/participation agreements that stipulate their is a known CTE risk that cannot be removed, and that insurance will not cover CTE/concussion related injury. People will still play the game, there’s always been a high injury risk, all this ‘mums won’t allow their kids to play’ is rubbish, thays the biggest over reaction - sure some Mums won’t let their kids play rugby league, but those and mums probably never would have - the ones that have allowed them to play for over 100 years will always let them play - the CTE hysteria will have absolute minimal impact on the amount of kids ‘allowed to play’.
Let the game be the game it always has been, yes maybe add in some extra controls at thee most junior level (whilst their weight and speed isn’t big enough to cause major contact/injury) to ease them in to contact.

The one on one struggle, the ultimate test.

I’ve seen Ben hunt use the opposition winger to get another six again.

It’s craft. Craft in footy is always better than the blockhead

_Johnsy

Referee
The one on one struggle, the ultimate test.

I’ve seen Ben hunt use the opposition winger to get another six again.

It’s craft. Craft in footy is always better than the blockhead
but but but the good old days.
splat rugrats GIF

Danish

Referee
If this comes in, genuinely think I’ll just give up on the sport.

I have absolutely no idea how these pseudo intellectual idiots keep demanding more and more changes under the guise of apparent imminent legal doom when combat sports exist. If boxing can survive as a sport then league can too.

Dark Corner

Juniors
only a matter of time, I agree personal responsibility needs to come into play more but litigation threats mean sport is going to keep going the safest possible route. For high contact sports it means a significant change to the fabric of the game.
So when you say sage is it okay that the defenders get into friendly fire with head collision with their teamates or copping knees to the head.

Dark Corner

Juniors
Nah there's definitely an element of the slippery slope to this stuff.

I'm not saying that contact sports will necessarily be banned or anything, though I wouldn't say that's impossible either, but small changes like this will escalate just like it inevitably does with any other controlled activity.
Before we ban contact sports then can we ban war as thats more dangerous.

There is slippery slope, and there is hysterical rants "then contact is gone altogether". As I said, what an absolute load of horsehyte.

Just MO, I have nil issues if it limits permanent damage to players. Remember Adam Ritson?

Mario Fenech- poor bloke, his mind is mush atm.

Early and horrific death coming for Royce Simmons.

Carl Webb.

Hundreds more unknown.

As it draws closer, they won’t even know they’re dying.

Won’t be able to say goodbye or understand what’s going on.

Anything we can do to reduce the risk these blokes are faced with and keep the the spirit in the sport is worth trying.

The nrl is making $80m a year, the execs line their pockets.

We gotta look after our heroes.

We get to round 14 and half of the marquee and others are out injured. It’s getting old, we are missing out on a lot of good footy. We should be working out ways to keep as many as we can in the game.

I don’t know anyone who actually comes to a game to watch a dangerous tackle.

Last edited:

TDD91

Juniors
One of the big reasons for it has been a group of former players over here suing the RFL for injuries they sustained, particularly ironic when one of the biggest culprits for causing head injuries in Nick Fozzard is one of the claimants. He's then allegedly posted on social media that the RFL are ruining the game with this move, when he's one of the reasons they're making it...

There were running jokes amongst fans for years about what he actually had under the padding, especially as he led with that arm frequently.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Great Dane

First Grade

Sure, but this rule won't.

Seriously, go read some papers on CTE, other brain injuries, how they're caused, and the rate of their occurrence. This rule will do literally nothing to prevent any of it, and no amount of vain moral grandstanding will change that.

BTW, I reckon that there's a good chance that kids could be banned from participating in full contact sports in our life time, and that alone would have massive implications for all contact sports. So the concerns about "then contact is gone altogether" aren't anywhere near as ridiculous as you're trying to make out.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
One of the big reasons for it has been a group of former players over here suing the RFL for injuries they sustained, particularly ironic when one of the biggest culprits for causing head injuries in Nick Fozzard is one of the claimants. He's then allegedly posted on social media that the RFL are ruining the game with this move, when he's one of the reasons they're making it...

nick-fozzard-warrington-wolves-rlfc-the-willows-salford-manchester-HXX70G.jpg

There were running jokes amongst fans for years about what he actually had under the padding, especially as he led with that arm frequently.
On what grounds are they suing?

The NFL got done because they knew about the risk of CTE and covered it up, there's no suggestion that anything similar happened at the RFL, so what exactly are they suing for?

Iamback

Coach
We have seen more guys retire due to tackling legally than being hit high.

We all know cars are dangerous, Yet most of us drive.

Same thing here, We know footy can lead to injuries the game can make it as safe as possible.

Until someone proves RL alone causes CTE then there is an issue.

Yes older guys have issues now, They were thugs in the 80's. They also would get pissed and take drugs post game

Iamback

Coach

nick-fozzard-warrington-wolves-rlfc-the-willows-salford-manchester-HXX70G.jpg

Let me guess was a piss head off the field too?

Iamback

Coach
Yup definitely no kids participating in martial arts you f**king idiot.

Ice hockey still has fighting and big hits.

Some drop kicks have said heading in soccer should be banned, they'd have you locked inside in bubble wrap if they had a chance

The Great Dane

First Grade
We have seen more guys retire due to tackling legally than being hit high.

We all know cars are dangerous, Yet most of us drive.

Same thing here, We know footy can lead to injuries the game can make it as safe as possible.

Until someone proves RL alone causes CTE then there is an issue.

Yes older guys have issues now, They were thugs in the 80's. They also would get pissed and take drugs post game
Repeat concussions and impacts sustained in sport have been conclusively proven to cause CTE and other similar conditions.

There is no debate about that and anybody suggesting otherwise is simply ignorant. So the question then becomes what can or should be done about it.

BTW, it's been proven that heading in soccer, and even lighter contact, can cause brain injuries as well.

Dark Corner

Juniors
Repeat concussions and impacts sustained in sport have been conclusively proven to cause CTE and other similar conditions.

There is no debate about that, and anybody suggesting otherwise is simply ignorant. So the question then becomes what can or should be done about it.

BTW, it's been proven that heading in soccer, and even lighter contact, can cause brain injuries as well.
Just not go down the the RFL route as more lower tackles will cause either more knees, hips to the head and friendly fire head collisions.