What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PLEASE NRL DON'T FOLLOW US BRITS WITH THIS.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
You do know dementia is a syndrome not a disease dont you? We are talking a very specific type of dementia here with its own clinical classification and Identified cause.

There will be a balance found between reducing the risk as much as possible but keeping the sport enjoyable to play and watch, like it or not that’s where CTE will take us.
You aren't one of "Us"

Iamback

Coach
You do know dementia is a syndrome not a disease dont you? We are talking a very specific type of dementia here with its own clinical classification and Identified cause.

There will be a balance found between reducing the risk as much as possible but keeping the sport enjoyable to play and watch, like it or not that’s where CTE will take us.

Read the Fozzard article a couple of pages back.

He has early stages of Dementia, Blames the game for not telling him. Nothing to say what type or the cause.

ATM every ex player with such issues is linked to the game. Despite the fact you don't know until they die whether they had CTE or not

Same article says he would do it all again

That he has also cut back on Alcohol and lives a healthier lifestyle.

Only he can answer truthfully how much he was drinking and what was unhealthy about his lifestyle.

Alcoholics also can get dementia early, I will concede RL heightens the risk but is it the only cause? That is still to be discovered

You don't think the game has made steps? The problem is though it requires players to be 100% truthful and most will want to play if they are 50/50

mave

Coach
Meanwhile, renowned hard man, Jason Saab, with his big brain in full overdrive, decided that a boxing career in the off season was a fine idea.

It's inane.

Danish

Referee
Oh good, we have some overqualified people on this forum who think they know better than the people who actually study CTE.

@Iamback and @Danish you guys could make millions going to the sports and telling them that actually they don't need to waste all that money on safety measures since it's actually drugs and booze that cause CTE.

Did I say they did?

I’m just confused why players who partake is so many behaviours which massively detract from their health are apparently also highly concerned about CTE.

we all know concussions cause problems. A league player wanting to then sue over that is like some moron who takes up smoking in 2023 complaining when they find themselves with a cancer diagnosis in future

Canard

Immortal
Did I say they did?

I’m just confused why players who partake is so many behaviours which massively detract from their health are apparently also highly concerned about CTE.

we all know concussions cause problems. A league player wanting to then sue over that is like some moron who takes up smoking in 2023 complaining when they find themselves with a cancer diagnosis in future
Any legal case would be based on negligence, I assume.

Iamback

Coach
Any legal case would be based on negligence, I assume.

Not everyone gets injured playing the game though

Not sure how you can argue x player has brain of mush due to negligence

but someone like Cameron Smith seems to be fine ( the new brain scan yearly should help get a bigger database of if he is or not ) despite playing 400 games under the same rules

Which is where the off field antic come into it, particularly if it is going to head that way

Canard

Immortal
Not everyone gets injured playing the game though

Not sure how you can argue x player has brain of mush due to negligence

but someone like Cameron Smith seems to be fine ( the new brain scan yearly should help get a bigger database of if he is or not ) despite playing 400 games under the same rules

Which is where the off field antic come into it, particularly if it is going to head that way
The player will have to prove negligence by someone, either the club and its officials or the administrators of the game.

I have no legal qualifications, but I would assume just having CTE or it's symptoms isn't enough. You have to demonstrate a club official deliberately ignored the rules of the day relating to concussion protocols, or knowingly put the player in harms way.

This rule change is more of a pre-emptive strike to show even more risk management has been taken.

Iamback

Coach
The player will have to prove negligence by someone, either the club and its officials or the administrators of the game.

I have no legal qualifications, but I would assume just having CTE or it's symptoms isn't enough. You have to demonstrate a club official deliberately ignored the rules of the day relating to concussion protocols, or knowingly put the player in harms way.

This rule change is more of a pre-emptive strike to show even more risk management has been taken.

You need to give the recent changes a chance to take affect though. No point just changing for the sake of it without data behind it.

As mentioned earlier, Players have had multiple concussions tackling low, So not sure how on the surface the changes will do anything for that.

Valheru

Coach
People seem to think this is a players v administrators issue.

It's really not, it's about Occupational Health and Safety Law and corporate risk minimisation strategy.
This

The NRL don't actually care about player welfare, they care about perception and the risk of litigation.

All that will matter is if the NRL has taken reasonable steps to reduce the risk based on the information it has at hand and it seems lowering the permissible contact point to well below the neck is a no brainer and a change we are all going to have to get used to at some point.

RL is actually behind the other football codes with the exception of the NFL. In union you get yellow carded for innocuous contact to the head and in AFL you get penalised for going over the shoulder.

Maximus

Coach
Did I say they did?

So you believe that people in the mining industry shouldn't have OH&S protections? They take the risk and get paid a shitload, so if they get injured that's their own fault.

Canard

Immortal
So you believe that people in the mining industry shouldn't have OH&S protections? They take the risk and get paid a shitload, so if they get injured that's their own fault.
It's all moot anyway.

There is no way under Australian employment law that you can "contract out" of your OHS obligations

Iamback

Coach
This

The NRL don't actually care about player welfare, they care about perception and the risk of litigation.

All that will matter is if the NRL has taken reasonable steps to reduce the risk based on the information it has at hand and it seems lowering the permissible contact point to well below the neck is a no brainer and a change we are all going to have to get used to at some point.

RL is actually behind the other football codes with the exception of the NFL. In union you get yellow carded for innocuous contact to the head and in AFL you get penalised for going over the shoulder.

Except in all those sports I'd have tackling at the lower end of what causes head injuries.

Take Union. What causes more damage a tackle slipping high or the 50,000 scrums and mauls a game?

AFL too. Running in a jumping and contacting with a defender has the issues.

RL too. I'd back myself in a potential high tackle then the force of a kick return.

That is why all sports are playing catch up here. Using data from particularly before sports were professional doesn't help

Iamback

Coach

Again that is a big leap.

But in that same comparison. IF there is an accident in a mine. Is that ALWAYS the employers fault?

That is what is at play here. Is the NRL or sporting body to blame for all CTE and head injuries

Latest posts