What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG bid for NRL

Thomas

First Grade
Allemata, Rio Tinto, Ok Tedi (BHP Billiton), Allied Gold, Harmony Gold. Also Clive Palmers Co. (the richest guy in Qld and backing the GC United FC club) He was the one who suggested that the team could be paid for by the mines through tax breaks etc.

I can't see that happening. Not with a company like BHP or Rio Tinto. Imagine the shareholders meeting. "Oh yeah, we want to fund a rugby league team in PNG. Of course, we'll get no return on this but it sounds like a good idea...".

:lol:

Those companies are cutting back on work in Australia. What makes you think they'll fund a football team?

A PNG team was in the Qld Cup in 1996 and 1997 but the transportation costs were too high. This will only succeed if the NRL throws a lot of money into it and that isn't going to happen. What is there to gain from their perspective?

Anyone here been to PNG? I go about twice a year with work. Scary SCARY place. The violence is unbelievable and some people here seemed to have forgotten the fact that it is actually a 3rd world country.

Lambretta

First Grade
I can't see that happening. Not with a company like BHP or Rio Tinto. Imagine the shareholders meeting. "Oh yeah, we want to fund a rugby league team in PNG. Of course, we'll get no return on this but it sounds like a good idea...".

Anyone here been to PNG? I go about twice a year with work. Scary SCARY place. The violence is unbelievable and some people here seemed to have forgotten the fact that it is actually a 3rd world country.

On the first point - the benefit to the companies will be tax incentives.

It all depends how it's structured, but it could work, but in effect that does mean the team will be government funded as that's who ends up paying for tax breaks. Hmmm, dodgy as Governments change.

On the second point, I couldn't agree more. PNG is a seriously scary place and I can't see NRL teams being overly happy spending money to fly out there - deal with the heat and humidity and then have all the security issues as well.

Only a PNG team based INSIDE Australia, either in Darwin or Queensland could really work especially in the short term.

What would probably work better and could be implemented immediately would be for NRL clubs to offer sponsorships to say the 32 most talented PNG kids each season and two of them go to each NRL club.

If the existing clubs put serious time and effort into producing better players out of PNG then the rewards could be huge.

Thomas

First Grade
What would probably work better and could be implemented immediately would be for NRL clubs to offer sponsorships to say the 32 most talented PNG kids each season and two of them go to each NRL club.

If the existing clubs put serious time and effort into producing better players out of PNG then the rewards could be huge.

A much better way forward. And I just cannot see NRL teams flying to PNG to play in 32 degree heat. Add to that the security issues and you have a nightmare.

When I got to PNG I have an armed guard with me at all times. I shudder to think what kind of security would be needed for a well known footy player.

Eels Dude

Coach

Why would they want to do that when it is so much more cost effective for clubs to target their own junior bases, the country areas, or NZ based players? It may assist international rugby league in general but the clubs are going to look after their own backyard first and foremost and such a plan really doesn't benefit the clubs themselves at all.

Big Time

Juniors
Thanks for posting that. I tend to agree with the point about basing the team out of Australia - but believe that the Northern Territory has more to offer than another team based out of the Gold Coast. This option was touched on in Michael Searle's report last year (although the split of games could be a bit more equitable):

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24036728-23214,00.html

You see the thing is Michael Searle is smart and makes sense. OUr current NRL administration is not like this. This would all make too much sense to them so they could never go that way.

joshreading

Staff member
Seriously - Put your hand up if you have more business knowledge than Michael Searle, Clive Palmer or Paul Broughton

If BHP shareholders are told that they will get tax breaks and good will (and specific legislation which the PNG goverment tends to do) with the government which will translate into money in the pocket watch them vote.

Thomas

First Grade
Sorry, there's a big difference between a mining company investing in a football team in Australia and investing in a team in PNG. The risks are huge! And I'm not sure if you have noticed, but things aren't all that crash hot in the mining sector right now.

Will BHP et al or the PNG government pick up the tab for providing security for visiting teams? Where will they play? What happens if there's a bit of civil unrest?

What are the benefits of an NRL team in PNG? Do they outweigh the many risks? I don't think they do...

Perth Red

Post Whore
When you've got Gosford, Perth and Wellington all primed for a team then PNG looks a distant dream.

Ulysseus

Bench
Seriously - Put your hand up if you have more business knowledge than Michael Searle, Clive Palmer or Paul Broughton

If BHP shareholders are told that they will get tax breaks and good will (and specific legislation which the PNG goverment tends to do) with the government which will translate into money in the pocket watch them vote.

Mate, I didn't want to bring this up earlier BUT its gonna be a pretty tall order:

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2002/apr2002/png-a09.shtml

NO legislation changes can hide environmental negligence these days, 20 years ago you could get away with some of it, but the world is watching the mining giants every move, whether it be BHP, Rio Tinto, Anglo, Xstrata or Vale.

To make matters worse:
http://www.business-humanrights.org...Selectedcases/RioTintolawsuitrePapuaNewGuinea

PNG still operate the old BHP mine, they need the money, but the damage has been done.

joshreading

Staff member
I was quite aware of those situations. In what way do they affect the NRL bid? Seriously

The questions stands. Are you a better business mind or strategist?

joshreading

Staff member
ps. I am in not regard against Perth etc. In actual fact I think Perth should be the first priority.

bobmar28

Bench
Sorry, there's a big difference between a mining company investing in a football team in Australia and investing in a team in PNG. The risks are huge! And I'm not sure if you have noticed, but things aren't all that crash hot in the mining sector right now.

Will BHP et al or the PNG government pick up the tab for providing security for visiting teams? Where will they play? What happens if there's a bit of civil unrest?

What are the benefits of an NRL team in PNG? Do they outweigh the many risks? I don't think they do...

You seem a bit paranoid about security. Australian teams play there every year don't they? And I haven't heard the security issue raised before.

Canard

Immortal
You seem a bit paranoid about security. Australian teams play there every year don't they? And I haven't heard the security issue raised before.

Really? are you a recent convert to Rugby League?

Do you not remember scences of the Kangaroos players, Lazarus particulary, having to stop a match and lie down on the crowd face first with wet towels in there faces, crying like babies from the tear gas that was used for crowd control.

I don't the Kangaroos have played a game in PNG since then to be honest. (PM XIII etc. but not the official Aussie team).

Lambretta

First Grade
Why would they want to do that when it is so much more cost effective for clubs to target their own junior bases, the country areas, or NZ based players? It may assist international rugby league in general but the clubs are going to look after their own backyard first and foremost and such a plan really doesn't benefit the clubs themselves at all.

Oh come on the good press alone is worth it's weight in gold at times like these. It would be a huge boost to the image of league to be seen helping develop kids from another country etc etc etc.

The costs to the clubs is fairly minimal. After all, they'd only have to look after 2 kids each.

The Observer

Staff member
Really? are you a recent convert to Rugby League?

Do you not remember scences of the Kangaroos players, Lazarus particulary, having to stop a match and lie down on the crowd face first with wet towels in there faces, crying like babies from the tear gas that was used for crowd control.

Maintaining security is currently difficult because crowd entry is difficult to regulate, and that is because Lloyd Robson Oval currently has no walls, only fences which the fans break through or climb over to get in. The PNGRFL has said that a new stadium would have proper walls and security, and could charge all spectators for entry.

I don't the Kangaroos have played a game in PNG since then to be honest. (PM XIII etc. but not the official Aussie team).

The Kangaroos played the Kumuls in Port Moresby in October 2001 before the GB test series.

Canard

Immortal
I personally think that it would be seen more as an uneccessary extravagance and the ultimate indulgence than as a shining light.

I mean it costs in the order of 10 to 12 million Aussie Dollars annually to run an NRL club, this money would be much better spent on providing clean drinking water,medicine and education programmes etc. to communities than on professional atheletes.

Surely the govt. should be offering tax breaks to mining companies for this sort of investment??

Thomas

First Grade
I personally think that it would be seen more as an uneccessary extravagance and the ultimate indulgence than as a shining light.

I mean it costs in the order of 10 to 12 million Aussie Dollars annually to run an NRL club, this money would be much better spent on providing clean drinking water,medicine and education programmes etc. to communities than on professional atheletes.

Surely the govt. should be offering tax breaks to mining companies for this sort of investment??

Exactly! A 3rd world country doesn't need a football team, it needs all of those things outlined above.

joshreading

Staff member
Often national morale and infrastructure are both needed. The initiative is about giving PNG people something to be proud of. On such morale and esteem other national initiatives eg. Infrastructure, education, unity etc. are easier.

My family has a background in PNG (working etc) To get people to actively move towards progress in themselves they need hope. This is one possible way of creating such. (such is also seen in the indigenous communities in Australia, sport is a key factor in advancing economically, creating morale and heros that can lead a nation)

Latest posts