What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG bid for NRL

Green Machine

First Grade
Interesting figure they came up with for the TV rights. I wonder how much the NRL currently receives for broadcasting rights into PNG. I found this article on the sale of EM TV in 2004. PBL sold it for the grand total of $2m:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200412/s1267994.htm

Last Update: Friday, December 17, 2004. 7:13pm (AEDT)
PBL sells PNG television station
Papua New Guinea's only television station has been sold by its owners, the Australian media company Publishing and Broadcasting Limited (PBL).
Fiji Television has bought EM-TV for around $2 million.
After a tender process that was said to include interest from landowner and logging companies, EM-TV was sold to Fiji Television in a deal signed this morning.
Fiji TV will take control of EM-TV's parent company, Media Niugini Limited, although the sale is still subject to regulatory approval.
It is understood continuing financial difficulties at the PNG station led to PBL's decision to sell.
PBL owns Australia's Nine Network.
Fiji Television owns Fiji's only TV station, Fiji One, and is setting up a South Pacific pay television service.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Without doubt they are RL mad and you could only imagine what response an NRl team would get there! Having said that there are so many huge obstacles for them to overcome it is hard to see them being able to get it all in place for the bids which will no doubt be made sometime 2011. Playing strength, stadium, security, investment are all huge issues that they would need to resolve. It would be a massive boost for their country and add another international positive to the game if successful.

I think at the very most the NRL could one day get to 20 teams. Presuming the existing 16 remain that leaves 4 places. Over the next 20-30 years (3 TV contracts) we should be aiming to fill those 4 places with:

Perth
Wellington
PNG/NT
AN Other Q'land team.

lturner

Juniors
Without doubt they are RL mad and you could only imagine what response an NRl team would get there! Having said that there are so many huge obstacles for them to overcome it is hard to see them being able to get it all in place for the bids which will no doubt be made sometime 2011. Playing strength, stadium, security, investment are all huge issues that they would need to resolve. It would be a massive boost for their country and add another international positive to the game if successful.

I think at the very most the NRL could one day get to 20 teams. Presuming the existing 16 remain that leaves 4 places. Over the next 20-30 years (3 TV contracts) we should be aiming to fill those 4 places with:

Perth
Wellington
PNG/NT
AN Other Q'land team.

Anything could happen in 20 or 30 years. If you look at the make-up of the comp back in 1979, 5 out of those 12 sides now no longer exist in the same form (Balmain, Wests, St George, Norths and Newtown).

The reality is that there is no perfect make-up of teams. Sides come and go, things change, and no-one can predict how it will be that far in the future.

Ulysseus

Bench
Only country in the world where Rugby League is the national sport.

Why the f**k not; if the Mexicans and cuzzybroos get a gifted team, why not PNG?

Well, at least when PNG field a team, IF they field a team, they will have juniors in it, as in their own developed juniors from PNG.

Bring me a talented NRL player from Victoria and I'll bring you Miley Cyrus's as yet unreleased 3 way with Paris and Britney.

Ulysseus

Bench
Also, and no to be a downer, considering PNG's economic and health situation, I think they have bigger problems and issues to focus on than playing league, AIDS is crippling their country and its got no real money to speak of.

joshreading

Staff member
Also, and no to be a downer, considering PNG's economic and health situation, I think they have bigger problems and issues to focus on than playing league, AIDS is crippling their country and its got no real money to speak of.

For PNG that is exactly a key reason in gaining an NRL team. It is about creating some social cohesion, national morale in a country that is divided. It is also a reason why the UN (which has also recommended a PNG NRL Team) funded the Iraqi soccer league.

IF they can find the funding (a problem but I think far from insurrmountable obstacle with government encouragement and incentives - such as tax breaks) then they are well on their way. (the mining giants in PNG alone could fund the entire NRL team without much problem given the tax incentives)

Ulysseus

Bench
For PNG that is exactly a key reason in gaining an NRL team. It is about creating some social cohesion, national morale in a country that is divided. It is also a reason why the UN (which has also recommended a PNG NRL Team) funded the Iraqi soccer league.

IF they can find the funding (a problem but I think far from insurrmountable obstacle with government encouragement and incentives - such as tax breaks) then they are well on their way. (the mining giants in PNG alone could fund the entire NRL team without much problem given the tax incentives)

What mining giants mate?

butchmcdick

Post Whore
Well, at least when PNG field a team, IF they field a team, they will have juniors in it, as in their own developed juniors from PNG.

Bring me a talented NRL player from Victoria and I'll bring you Miley Cyrus's as yet unreleased 3 way with Paris and Britney.

Wow so the legends are true.:cool:

Eels Dude

Coach
It's a heavy investment if it doesn't work out. It would take a hell of a lot of money for PNG to develop a stadium worthy of NRL standard. They will struggle financially and struggle on the field too as they do not have a great depth of players who could compete at NRL level, and no current NRL players are going to want to go live in a third world country. It's a pipe dream and that is all.

dimitri

First Grade
Good idea, crawl before they walk.

They have already participated in the qld cup before as the Port Moresby Vipers.

Meanwhile the WA Reds are participating in the NSW BR Cup - and will be ready for 2012/2013 inclusion

lturner

Juniors
They have already participated in the qld cup before as the Port Moresby Vipers.

Meanwhile the WA Reds are participating in the NSW BR Cup - and will be ready for 2012/2013 inclusion

Are the Reds going to move up to NSW Cup next year or have another year in BR Cup?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Probably stay in BR cup. Only hope of moving up was if we could link with an NRl club as our playing strength isn't there yet. I would be very surprised if we aren't in the BR cup next year.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That was the original thought but it is rumoured the ARL wanted us in the NSW cup eventually to help that comp develop better and it was one of the funding stipulations. Was always going to be a case of see what talent we have here to see where and when we end up. Another year or two at BR cup level will be better for us than moving up to the NSW cup and having to import a full team from over East.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Away trips with the Dragon Army would be awesome: the footy, a bit of diving and then hitting the piss with the Raskols...

Um, yeah right.

joshreading

Staff member
What mining giants mate?

Allemata, Rio Tinto, Ok Tedi (BHP Billiton), Allied Gold, Harmony Gold. Also Clive Palmers Co. (the richest guy in Qld and backing the GC United FC club) He was the one who suggested that the team could be paid for by the mines through tax breaks etc.

Paullyboy

Coach
Put them in the QLD Cup, see how they go. It's gotta happen before NRL bid in my opinion

In theory that sounds good, but the only way the PNG bid will work is by attracting money from the private sector - who will only be interested in putting large amounts of money into a team in a national comp with mass exposure (ie NRL).

The costs of flying a team back and forth would be too much for a team with QLD Cup style finances.

Latest posts