What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG bid for NRL

Eels Dude

Coach
Perhaps but PNG would probably have has many kids playing the game as Australia. It's ridiculous that they're aren't measures in place for developing this huge latent pool.

It might have something to do with the fact that PNG is a third world country and they simply don't have the economy and funding for anything of the sort.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Our problem right now is that there are so many bids that probably deserve inclusion, but not the talent to go around. In an ideal world we'd be able to welcome aboard Central Coast, PNG, Perth, Wellington, a second Brisbane team, and Central Queensland or Sunshine Coast and be good as gold. Sadly, the player depth just isn't there.

Maybe if RU folds...

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm imaganing Steel is the same price, or is to be built out of mud bricks?

There is plenty of playing talent, alot of it overseas and hopefully if we choose the right areas they will be developing their own talent within a few years.

Loudstrat

Coach
I can see it now. Manly win a game on a dodgey forward pass on the bell to rob Port Moresby of a spot in the semis. How do you think the crowd control is going to work? The players would be in real danger, unless each Aussie side takes the SAS with them for protection.

Worst case scenario, but still ......

mikail-eagle

Bench
http://www.thenational.com.pg/?q=node/12056

Gallop to visit PNG

NATIONAL Rugby League (NRL) boss David Gallop will visit Papua New Guinea in February to be briefed on the status of the PNG NRL licence bid.
The visit, at the invitation of Sports Minister Philemon Embel, will allow him to personally appraise the unique bid components and general progress of the PNG effort.
Confirmation of his first trip to Port Moresby follows a landmark meeting between Gallop, bid representatives Beverly and Paul Broughton and NRL operations manager Graham Annesley at league headquarters in Sydney last week.
Bid strategic adviser Paul Broughton said the meeting demonstrated that the PNG bid was focused on the “big issues” needed to secure a licence.
“We discussed our current and future strategies and assured David that he won’t find a nation anywhere on the planet more passionate about rugby league than PNG,” he said.
“We spoke at length about landmark initiatives such as the newly-initiated all schools rugby league programme, plans to create a rugby league village for visiting teams, media rights and the outstanding support of the PNG government and sponsors,” Broughton said.
He said construction of a state-of-the-art stadium in Port Moresby was a critical component of the bid’s success.
“Our stadium planning is well advanced and high-ranking PNG officials have visited Skilled Park at Robina (Gold Coast) no less than four times to meet with Queensland sports minister Phil Reeves and the architects.
“The PNG facilities committee for the 2015 South Pacific Games will fund the development of the stadium and it’s been determined that the rectangle league-soccer-union configuration required by the NRL will be built.
“The committee will shortly announce where the stadium will be built, possibly within the next few weeks,” Broughton said.
Bid general manager Bev Broughton said Gallop was also briefed on the bi-partisan level of support already being received from the PNG government and a large number of high-profile corporate sponsors.
“The level of sponsorship achieved so far and the absolute commitment they have shown to the cause is already well in keeping with that of any current NRL team,” She said.
Points discussed in detail with Gallop in Sydney included:
* The success of the all schools programme, including its strong social message;
* The progress of media rights discussions with NRL consultant, LEK principal Colin Smith;
* Plans for a world-first “rugby league village” which will provide accommodation and ensure the security of the resident PNG team, visiting players and officials; and
* The settling of the leadership differences within the PNG rugby league administration.
Embel said he was looking forward to the visit in February.
“I am delighted that David Gallop accepted my invitation to visit PNG and I believe the early 2011 timing will be perfect and in keeping with our approach of ticking all the boxes,” Embel said.

Perth Tiger

Bench
I know there are a lot of issue the PNG bid would need to overcome but gee they would add a lot to the comp.

As much as it pains me to say perhaps even more so than Perth.

Whether they can overcome those issues though remains to be seen.

adamkungl

Immortal
Hm....I see three major issues:

-Security of visiting teams

-Ability to finance the team: Will PNG locals be able to afford the ticket prices necessary to fund a professional Rugby League team, and if not how will the shortfall be accounted for?

-Abilty to secure world class players: PNG has a LOT of Rugby League players, but it will be 10 years before junior development can be raised to a standard capable of constantly putting out NRL quality players. Would a PNG based team be able to convince top-line Aussies, Kiwis and Poms given that is a third world country? If not, would a PNG based team be able to withstand a medium term lack of competitiveness until their own development can provide a strong side with adequate depth?

I think a village specifically for visiting teams tackles the issue of security. Excellent idea. Wonder who's planning to finance it, though?

The third question is the biggest issue. Until this is answerable I can't see it happening.

In the past i've called this a pipe dream, but I think IF the above can be answered that PNG is easily the best expansion option for the NRL. Imo they should aim for 2018, the next next TV deal.

In the mean time, enter the QLD Cup, aim to win a comp putting in place the same strategies as they plan to for an NRL side, prove its viability.

Last edited:

mono_mal

Juniors
An interesting and perhaps feasible alternative I've seen suggested is to base the team out of Darwin and to travel to PNG for home games.
This would help in attracting players as Port Moresby is currently ranked one of the most dangerous cities in the world, hardly a place for young players and their families.
Hopefully PNG succeed with their QLD Cup application for 2011 which will help them significantly with player development etc. They definately have the talent and potential though a lot of work remains to be done!

Mr_Ugly

Juniors
I wonder if the PNG government would do some sort of 'no income tax' deal for overseas players (e.g. poms, aussies, kiwis etc). That would have to go close to effectively doubling the $$ a player gets from his contract and make PNG a lot more attractive.

docbrown

Coach
The interest thing here is that PNG are trying to fix their whole country and a major part of their plan is to use Rugby League as a uniting driving force.

It's a 10 year project but the NRL needs to make sure it commits to it over that whole length of time. PNG's mineral wealth is going to see the country though an economic boom and hopefully that will spread to the general population. If ever there was a time for Rugby League quarters to abandon their cynicism and embrace a vision, this is it.

PaulyTom

Juniors
Would love a PNG franchise in the future. Realistically it is probably 10-20 years away. The problem of attracting players from Australia / NZ will be an issue. It has to concentrate on its youth.

The NRL need to help with scholarships for PNG born players to study and play in Australia. Then we will start seeing these players flourish in to NRL standard players.

There needs to be a pathway built from Junior RL in PNG to schooling and progressing through league in Australia.

There is also a need for a structure with in PNG to grow the game in to the future.

Ulysseus

Bench
Well they need to fix their dire financial and security issues, but as someone said previously in the thread, if Rugby League is the vehicle for doing that so be it.................................... I don't think it will work but good on them.

Long way to go though, as others have said, it needs money, time, and some teeth cutting in the lower leagues.
Unless the PNG team is full of imports, then they will get pummeled mercilessly for a fair while.

Perth Red

Post Whore
where the heck are they going to find $15-18mill a year to operate a team? Where the heck are they going to find a 1st team of NRL standard players?

Stanley Gene is one of my all time favourite players and a team full of Stanleys would quickly become everyones 2nd team but those two questions are fundamental and I just struggle to see the answers.