What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG bid for NRL

chrisc101

Juniors
Wow great news here, if this ever got off the ground this would be amazing. Another great differentiator from AFL.

If a PNG-based team is ruled out, the NRL should at least be doing more to promote the game, like staging 2-3 competition games up there each season. It appears there's plenty of sponsorship money up there (mainly from the mining majors) to support such games.

hattori hanzo

Juniors
It seems like a fairy tale tome but if it came to avote they'd get mine over any other current Bid.
Ilike how they seem to have tackled the security issue and they seem very pro active, But attracting top line players to move their family there iis the biggie IMO as said before let them in the QRL to show that their model can work.

gerg

Juniors
Having lived in PNG I can tell you security wouldn't be as big a problem as many posters think. These guys worship rugby league players - you wouldn't even have to pay security to guard the players the fans would do it for nothing. I'm serious. I was at Robson oval when big Mal brought the Kangaroos there in the early eighties - unbelievable scenes. You could see the fear in the players faces as they got mobbed but the locals weren't there to hurt the players they just wanted to touch or be near who they consider to be gods.

IMO they tick a lot of the right boxes and the unticked ones could be easily overcome.

Canard

Immortal
It seems like a fairy tale tome but if it came to avote they'd get mine over any other current Bid.
Ilike how they seem to have tackled the security issue and they seem very pro active, But attracting top line players to move their family there iis the biggie IMO as said before let them in the QRL to show that their model can work.

The Port Moresby Vipers have already fielded a team in the QRL state league in 1996 and 1997, it was a financial disaster (mainly due to travel and accomodation costs for visiting teams.)

Canard

Immortal
Having lived in PNG I can tell you security wouldn't be as big a problem as many posters think. These guys worship rugby league players - you wouldn't even have to pay security to guard the players the fans would do it for nothing. I'm serious. I was at Robson oval when big Mal brought the Kangaroos there in the early eighties - unbelievable scenes. You could see the fear in the players faces as they got mobbed but the locals weren't there to hurt the players they just wanted to touch or be near who they consider to be gods.

IMO they tick a lot of the right boxes and the unticked ones could be easily overcome.

Thats a little simplistic.

You can get injured or killed by an "affectionate" mob just as much as by an "angry" one.

mikail-eagle

Bench
Does anybody know what sort of local competition they have up there?

Their National Competition is called the B-Mobile Cup. It currently consists of 9 teams from throughout PNG. All of them teams or franchises as they are now called up there are owned and run by businesses.

Here is a list of the teams and a bit of their history.

1.Port Moresby Vipers-Based in Port Moresby, owned/run by CPL Group of Comp. This is the team that played in the QLD Cup some years ago.

2. Rangers -Based in Port Moresby, owned/run by a Local Businessman Kelly Aiyok. Entered the Comp 3 years ago to create another team from the Capital.

3. Rabaul Gurias--Based in Rabaul, in the Islands region, owned/run by Agmark Group of Comp.They are the Premiers from last year. PNG's sole try scorer against Aust in the 08 world cup, Menzie Yere played for this team before moving to England in 09.

4. Mendi Muruks-From the Oil & Gas rich Southern Highlands Province. Owned and run by British Comapny Mabey & Johnson Ltd. PNG world Cup 08 hooker Charlie Wabo played for this team before going to England in 09.

5. Lae Bombers-Based in PNG's 2nd City of Lae. Owned and run by one Richard Williams. They also have an off season base at Mt Norman on the Gold Coast in Queensland.

6. Simbu Warriors-Based in the Simbu Province. Owned by a local busnisess in the Province. Only re entered the Comp this year after 5 years off.

7. Goroka Lahanis-Based in the Eastern Highlands Province. Owned and Run by Supermarket Chain in the Highlands called Bintagor Ltd. This is the team that produced Stanley Gene.

8. Mt Hagen Kuris-Based in the Western Highlands Province. Owned and Run by local Government.

9. Enga Mioks-Based in the Highlands province of Enga. Owned and run by PNG's Toyota Dealers, Ela Motors. They were last years runners up.

boonboon

Juniors
In My opinion I think 2013 we should go for Perth and CC, then look for another team in QLD (Brisbane 2nd team or similar) in 2015 then one in PNG 2017, it means we would have a long term plan, it would mean PNG as a country would have time to develop and get everything in place.

The team in PNG would be great for the country- as they have stated but also by bringing more publicity and more tourism and more money and jobs for the locals - see for example the building and managing itself would bring lots of jobs and associated work, as well the 5 million the players have to spend a lot of that would bhe spent in PNG creat5ing more jobs.

As for attracting players it would be somewhat hard intially but a couple of advantages to it is that 500k goes a lot further in PNG then it does in Aus- a Australian player would be set up for life as the cost of living is much lower yet the cap and wages would be the same.

I would think you would get a lot of Australian Government sponsorship for a team in PNG through the aid budget (much like the funding of AFL in Africa)

I think 2015-17 shiuld be the aim especially as the stadium will be built and up and running

In the mean time I agree we should play more tests up there and also more club games, especially trials

Goddo

Bench
They ain't ready, and don't have the money.

Get a side in the QLD cup first, work on sponsors and the stadium and building a strong club from the ground up, then in 5-10 years maybe look to NRL level.

adamkungl

Immortal
Looks like the next round of expansion will be just as hectic as this one.

This one we have (so far)

Perth, CC, Ipswich, Rockhampton, PNG

Next one we will likely have

the 3 remaining bids from above + Wellington, possible Christchurch and Adelaide?

I don't think the Qld Cup is as necessary as people think. It's a drain on finances to send a team to play in a second tier comp with little chance of a return. Whatever happens it won't prove they can make it in the NRL and it won't prove they can't.

People seem to forget/ignore the fact that the WA Reds couldn't hack it in the Jim Beam/Bundy Red Cup, and that was with ARL handouts. Yet no one is suggesting that Perth can't get an NRL franchise.

I think it's vital to stagger the expansion process, with Perth being first. I look at the A-League and can't help but think they've made a big mistake by introducing teams simultaneously

adamkungl

Immortal
I think it's vital to stagger the expansion process, with Perth being first. I look at the A-League and can't help but think they've made a big mistake by introducing teams simultaneously

Agree, but I think 2 at a time is the right way to go. The NRL is a far stronger comp than the A-League and 2 games gives every club a financial boost with an extra game per week, to make up for the drain that new clubs have on the competitions resources.

Obviously, as nice as it would be to give everyone a go, 4 new teams at once is NOT the way to go, as 1995 showed. (although who knows what could have happened if it wasn't for the SL war)

gerg

Juniors
Thats a little simplistic.

You can get injured or killed by an "affectionate" mob just as much as by an "angry" one.

Would you have preferred I typed it in pidgin or something? I can confirm 100%, just for you that no Kangaroos' players were killed or injured by the 'affectionate' mob.

All this talk of expansion - I realise its been done to death here, but how many teams does the NRL actually need? 16 plus Perth, central coast, a second Brisbane team, another NZ side, throw in PNG. Do we really want a 20+ side competition?

adamkungl

Immortal
Would you have preferred I typed it in pidgin or something? I can confirm 100%, just for you that no Kangaroos' players were killed or injured by the 'affectionate' mob.

All this talk of expansion - I realise its been done to death here, but how many teams does the NRL actually need? 16 plus Perth, central coast, a second Brisbane team, another NZ side, throw in PNG. Do we really want a 20+ side competition?

As many as we can sustain imo.

I see the ideal number as 20, but what if we hit 20 and there are still teams pushing for entry and the current clubs are doing well financially and we're seeing good football.

Could forseeably have 22 teams, each teams plays every other once + 2 nominated rivalry rounds.

In a perfect world I would say 20 teams, which include

Perth
Central Coast
2nd Brisbane
2nd New Zealand
Sharks ---> Adelaide

PNG at the moment is a pipe dream. Can't see it happening for at least another 15 years. Also, it is important to not give Adelaide a new license in order to keep the number of teams even

Mike_Jets

Juniors
NRL NRL2
NQ Cowboys Northern Pride
Central Comets Mackay Cutters
Ipswich Jets Logan Magpies
Brisbane Broncos Redcliffe Dolphins
GC Titans Sunshine Coast or Tweed Heads
Auckland Warriors Christchurch
Wellington Orcas Hamilton
Canberra Raiders Albury
WA Reds Adelaide
Melbourne Storm Geelong
Bulldogs Darwin
Balmain Tigers West Sub Magpies
Souths Newtown Jets
Manly Sea eagles North Sydney Bears
Newcastle Knights CC Centurions
St George Illawara Steelers
Easts PNG
Paramatta Eels Cabramatta
Penrith Panthers Windsor Wolves
Cronulla Sharks Hobart

Never going to happen, but this would still leave a decent NSWRL and QRL cup comps and would expand the game to everybody.

chrisc101

Juniors
No expansion until 2020, I think people underestimate the importance of a balanced competition. The AFL is going to burn massive amounts of money (plus the anger of fans) because their competition balance (already bad with 16 teams) is going to be terrible with 18 teams. Their compeition is quickly heading towards an EPL style 'only a few teams can win' competition.

PNG, QLD and NZ are a must for expansion down the track but not anytime soon.

Latest posts