What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG bid for NRL

Why is PNG so f**ked compared to all the other Islands? Can someone give me a quick write up... are they being exploited by other countries and industries or what? None of the other Islands(from my limited knowledge) seem to have anything like the serious issues PNG are clearly going through

nqcowboy87

Bench
i was talking to my dad the other night about it, corrupt government, if theyre not in on the deal theyre getting some of the take, i mean some guy just split to sydney before the png police coul catch him, he'll probably get extradited back though

mikail-eagle

Bench
I'd be all for this. We could hold SG Ball trials in PNG and pick the top 5-10 jnr players and bring them over to Perth to play as part of our SG Ball set up and hopefully go on to our Toyota cup and NRL team. The climate and lifestyle would suit them well I'm sure and if we had good education and work opportunities they could also further that aspect of their lives. Being linked into Curtin Uni would also open up some opportunities i'm sure. Sounds good to me!

I this were to happen you'd have alot of juniors to pick from. Over the weekend the u15 & U17 tournaments were held....

http://www.postcourier.com.pg/20110921/sport04.htm

Lae hosts schoolboys titles
By CHARLES YAPUMI
It has been more than 20 years since a nationwide all schools junior rugby league competition was held in the country to scout for the next breed of PNG Kumul players.
The Coca-Cola National Rugby League Schoolboys championships is been resurrected and will be staged in Lae, Morobe Province, this weekend.
The opening game will be played as a curtain raiser to the Prime Ministers XIII fixture between the PNG Kumuls and Australian Kangaroos.
The PNG NRL Bid and Papua New Guinea Rugby Football League who are working together to develop and promote junior rugby in the country have revealed the names of 80 players who will be representing Northern and New Guinea Islands regions in the Under 15 and Under 16 divisions.
These players were selected after 10 weeks of intensive inter-school competition.
The Northern Zone trails were held in Lae with more than 300 schoolboys from 16 schools competing, while NGI zone saw more than 500 boys battling it out in Kokopo, East New Britain Province.
According to a statement released by PNG NRL Bid office all players were put through a rigourous selection process based on consistency and performance on and off the field, and school attendance to get a place in their regional team.
Southern region has already named their squad and all are set for the showdown in Lae.
PNG Insurance Company INSPAC have stepped in to assistance each players insurance cover under the bid’s program.
Schoolboys rugby league was revived by former Kumul Ifisoe Segeyaro as a stepping stone to developing future Kumuls.

PaddyBoy

Juniors
Why is PNG so f**ked compared to all the other Islands? Can someone give me a quick write up... are they being exploited by other countries and industries or what? None of the other Islands(from my limited knowledge) seem to have anything like the serious issues PNG are clearly going through

A lot of the other islands have common links that unite them in some way. PNG lacks this, they have hundreds of tribes with their own languages, and cultures. More akin to the Aborigines than islanders in this fashion. Actually, one of the few things they have in common across the board is rugby league.

Makes it very hard to actually unite in solving issues and means that there tends to be a lot of corruption surrounding this. One of the reasons for the bid is an attempt to unite the country.

Other reasons too but this is one of the ones I'm aware of.

Perth Red

Post Whore
re the visa issue, is it any harder than any of the other island countries? Uate didn't seem to have a problem working in Oz despite the fact he hadn;t played any prof RL before coming here.

I wonder if the issue is more to do with the poor organisation of the PNGRL coupled with lack of clubs interest in scouting for talent in PNG?

mikail-eagle

Bench
A lot of the other islands have common links that unite them in some way. PNG lacks this, they have hundreds of tribes with their own languages, and cultures. More akin to the Aborigines than islanders in this fashion. Actually, one of the few things they have in common across the board is rugby league.

Makes it very hard to actually unite in solving issues and means that there tends to be a lot of corruption surrounding this. One of the reasons for the bid is an attempt to unite the country.
QUOTE]

This is probably the main reason. Papua New Guineans will always put family, tribe/clan, Province first and the Country last. They have a name for it called the "Wantok System" or "One Talk System" (same Language System) whereby in what ever they do be it giving jobs, giving out contracts, solving disputes, politics, elections etc....they have to do it in a way to give their own people the best outcome.

Rugby League is probably the only thing that unites them all.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The "Passion" was strong at this one, not sure Gallop would have approved!

THE Telikom PNG’s emerging Kumuls wrote their names in the PNG Rugby Football League records book when they
thrashed the visiting Australia’s State select side 34-10 in a one-sided affair at the Lae rugby league ground yesterday.
The game had to finish early than expected due to the continuous throwing of missiles which included stones and sticks by angry fans who could not gain entry to the rugby league grounds.
The game was controlled by one of the top referees in PNG, Wayne Wool, who had to stop the game several times because of the players’ safety.
http://www.pngnrlbid.com/index.php?page_id=138

juro

Bench
http://icc-cricket.yahoo.net/the-icc/icc_members/eap/newsdetails.php?newsId=17446_1318901340
PNG Cricketers Shine in Australia
Tue, Oct 18, 2011 9:29 AM

Over the weekend Cricket PNG players began their 2011/12 Australian cricket summer as part of the Brian Bell Future Stars Scholarships initiative.

Cricket PNG has sent 12 of their contracted players competing in local competitions in Melbourne and Canberra.
The players sent include Barramundi national players Tony Ura, Vani Vagi Morea, Assad Vala (Broad Meadows CC), Jason Kila (Box Hill CC), Jack Vare, Joel Tom (Kingston Saints CC), Willie Gavera (Brunswick CC), John Boge Reva (Donvale CC), Chris Kent (North’s CC-Canberra) and Garramutt national players Lega Siaka (Box Hill CC), Charles Amini Jnr (Brunswick CC) and Norman Vanua (Airport West CC).

The most notable performances from the weekend were from Lega Siaka and Vani Vagi Morea with the bat and Willie Gavera who starred with the ball. Siaka, hit 89 runs in an opening partnership with fellow PNG player Jason Kila (19 runs). Morea played an important role in his team, hitting 43n.o. to steer his side to a 7 wicket victory. Gavera has continued his recent good form over the past 6 months with a 6 wicket haul in his sides first Saturday of a 2-weekend fixture.

The Brian Bell Future Stars Scholarships gives talented Papua New Guinea cricketers the chance to live and develop their cricket in a foreign city. It has been running 2 years already and now in its 3rd year has seen 39 players go through the program. Players from all national squads have been sent to live and play Cricket in Australia, New Zealand & Scotland.

Up dates on the boys progress and players statistics while they are on scholarship can be found at: http://www.cricketpng.com/content.aspx?file=35609|24544i
Here is an example of what we should be doing in the NRL. If cricket can do it, why can't rugby league?

Eels Dude

Coach
http://icc-cricket.yahoo.net/the-icc/icc_members/eap/newsdetails.php?newsId=17446_1318901340
Here is an example of what we should be doing in the NRL. If cricket can do it, why can't rugby league?

From what I take from that article this scholarship has nothing to do with Cricket Australia but is organised by PNG Cricket themselves and a quick google search confirms that. Rugby League could, but it's not up to the NRL, you need some rich benefactor based in PNG to organise and set up such a program.

nadera78

Juniors
It would be so easy, and cheap, for the NRL to scout for players in PNG. And I mean properly scout. There's no point waiting to see the Kumuls play because by that point the players are full grown men and any improvements you can make to them will be limited. The NRL needs to get into the schools in PNG and find the best young players. 16 - 18 year olds. Bring them down to Aus, pay for their board and lodgings with a suitable local family - even PNG ex-pats if need be - and get them in their junior systems. Within five years the Kumuls would be made up of NRL players, and within ten both the NRL and SL would be full of PNGeans. Bingo, the NRL has a new and easily accessible source of players, and the game automatically has a fourth genuinely competitive nation.

It's so simple it's untrue.

Eels Dude

Coach
It would be so easy, and cheap, for the NRL to scout for players in PNG. And I mean properly scout. There's no point waiting to see the Kumuls play because by that point the players are full grown men and any improvements you can make to them will be limited. The NRL needs to get into the schools in PNG and find the best young players. 16 - 18 year olds. Bring them down to Aus, pay for their board and lodgings with a suitable local family - even PNG ex-pats if need be - and get them in their junior systems. Within five years the Kumuls would be made up of NRL players, and within ten both the NRL and SL would be full of PNGeans. Bingo, the NRL has a new and easily accessible source of players, and the game automatically has a fourth genuinely competitive nation.

It's so simple it's untrue.

PNG and Australia's working Visa Laws, combined with the fact half the kids there don't even go to school, kind of prevent such an idea from coming into fruition.

nadera78

Juniors
PNG and Australia's working Visa Laws, combined with the fact half the kids there don't even go to school, kind of prevent such an idea from coming into fruition.

1) Lots of PNGean kids get sent to Australian boarding schools already. That's how Will Genia ended up playing rahrah, for example.

2) Actually the PNG Schoolboys RL was set up about five years ago and has grown incredibly quickly. The opportunity to play the game regularly and competitively has been used to encourage kids to stay in school - no attendance, no game time.

It's really not that complicated. If the clubs were actually interested in doing it.

mikail-eagle

Bench
you need some rich benefactor based in PNG to organise and set up such a program.

The rich benefactor in Crickets case is White Goods Merchant Brian Bell who the scolarship is named after. It just one sponsor.

Rugby League in PNG on the other hand gets 5 x more sponsorship than cricket and AFL and still can't get their house in order to carry out such simple programs.

mikail-eagle

Bench
1)
2) Actually the PNG Schoolboys RL was set up about five years ago and has grown incredibly quickly. The opportunity to play the game regularly and competitively has been used to encourage kids to stay in school - no attendance, no game time.

School boys Rugby League was nationaly actually revived last year by the PNG NRL Bid team. Prior to that it was only played in a number of provinces.

The week after the Prime Minister XIII game the National Regional Championship was held. The championship was held between the 4 Regions of PNG namely Highlands, Islands, Northern & Southern Regions and involved the best kids selected after each region had held its own selection tournaments.

In fact the opening game was played as a curtain raiser to the PMXIII game.