What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG bid for NRL

hutch

First Grade
i know its probably not possible with the 20's playing an identical season to the nrl team but i think the best move rugby league could make in png is to put a team in the toyota cup.

Cletus

First Grade
PLAYERS from the Australian Prime Minister's XIII rugby league side have recalled their horror at watching a man being beaten by their security detail while in Papua New Guinea last week.

Some of the NRL's biggest stars, including Ben Barba, Nathan Hindmarsh and Mitchell Pearce were involved in a bus crash before their match against the Kumuls which ended with the driver of the offending vehicle being beaten with a baton.

In sickening scenes that forced some players to throw up, local security employed to ensure their safety leapt from their bus screaming "kill him" after the ute carrying several workers crashed into their mini-van.

"It was pretty full on," said Bulldogs star Barba.

Full story at:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...gruesome-beating/story-e6frexnr-1226152044367

I find it a bit hard to believe that PNG would be able to recruit players from Aus. The country has a scary reputation for violence and I don't think they'd get too many travelling fans over there, rightly or wrongly.

Kiki

First Grade
it's horrible but not surprising. i saw similar stuff when i was over there last year, it's really shocking...specially seeing the cops beat little kids.

the QLD Cup team is an awesome idea.

Cletus

First Grade
QLD cup is a great idea Kiki. I'm sure it would be well supported in PNG. But I really don't know if they'll ever be ready for an NRL team.

joshreading

Staff member
the png government needs to look into getting a better deal with Australia so that their juniors can play in oz easier

This is the crucial issue. If we can open the flood gate to PNG players we will secure PNG.

I do think that the NRL needs to put in development quotas to boost recruitment from developing nations. eg. Players recruited from developing nations... (ie not Australia, NZ, England) will be salary cap exempt (both from under 20's and their first 2 years of NRL - or something to that effect)

In addition to the QLD Cup I do think that the NRL should consider loosening the Under 20's format and including some sides that are not in the NRL (but should have a feeder arrangement) This would be massive for PNG. I can imagine sold out games of PNG Hunters Toyota Cup side quite easily. It would open a MASSIVE door for PNG Players into the NRL

Kiki

First Grade
i've said it before but when the country teeters on the edge of chaos everyday, and kids are going hungry etc.....getting an NRL team seems very far away.

i really hope the QLD Cup team works out for them, they deserve a bit of light in their lives.

LineBall

Juniors
Realistically PNG will never have a team in the NRL in any of our lifetimes. The best option is to provide a way for young players to come to Australia and ply their trade here.

To encourage this, they should allow PNG players (who must play for PNG - not Origin for NSW and QLD) to have some percentage of their salary discounted from the cap.

Billythekid

First Grade
I agree with some of the posters above. The most important step is getting more PNG players into the NRL. It would be great for PNG if they could eventually have a competitive international team. It would also be good to give some of these kids a pathway to a better life and a way to even help their families.

i've said it before but when the country teeters on the edge of chaos everyday, and kids are going hungry etc.....getting an NRL team seems very far away.

i really hope the QLD Cup team works out for them, they deserve a bit of light in their lives.

Having a team in the NRL may well end up helping their economy and having a positive impact on young kids in general.

I certainly don't think it's a short term possibility but who knows maybe in 20-30 years things could change.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Agreed, Stanley Gene has done some very good stuff for his community on the back of his RL career.

Also agree about the Toyota cup, either it needs to be expanded to non NRL development areas or their needs to be a better national 2nd tier reserve grade.

The PNG and Oz govt could easily sort out the working visa situation for jnr RL players so more had an opportunity.

PNGRL needs to work better with the NRL to improve scouting systems for talented jnrs and find ways of encouraging NRL teams to take chances on PNG players (salary cap is an obvious one)

Totally agree that PNG jnrs that come over should be N/A for SOO selection. Uate should be the player we build Fijian RL development on, not NSWRL!

I think that the PNG NRL Bid and the WAReds NRL Bid should come to a resolution, where by WAReds get first dibs on the wealth of talented juniors from the PNG. (until the day PNG get their own team of course). That way, they immediately increase their junior pool and international support. WAReds could mix their own pool of local juniors with PNG youngsters and of course QLD, NSW & NZ scouted talents into their squads. A WA Reds team with a great mix of local talent, interstate talent and PNG talent makes for a successful club with great depth.

Eels Dude

Coach
East Coast Tiger seems to be strangely absent from this thread all of a sudden... I wonder why... :roll:

Seriously if the security staff assigned to protect you are beating up people like that no player should be forced to attend away games in PNG. Hence why PNG just cannot have an NRL side in the near future.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think that the PNG NRL Bid and the WAReds NRL Bid should come to a resolution, where by WAReds get first dibs on the wealth of talented juniors from the PNG. (until the day PNG get their own team of course). That way, they immediately increase their junior pool and international support. WAReds could mix their own pool of local juniors with PNG youngsters and of course QLD, NSW & NZ scouted talents into their squads. A WA Reds team with a great mix of local talent, interstate talent and PNG talent makes for a successful club with great depth.

I'd be all for this. We could hold SG Ball trials in PNG and pick the top 5-10 jnr players and bring them over to Perth to play as part of our SG Ball set up and hopefully go on to our Toyota cup and NRL team. The climate and lifestyle would suit them well I'm sure and if we had good education and work opportunities they could also further that aspect of their lives. Being linked into Curtin Uni would also open up some opportunities i'm sure. Sounds good to me!

I'd also like us to be linking closely with the NTRL and SARL to form some career pathways for the top jnr talent in those states.

Going to be interesting to see how our Jnr's go this year with a 85% WA born and bred SG Ball side. Hopefully we can hold our own.

nqcowboy87

Bench
the posts above about making it easier for png players to get runs for nrl feeder sides in the q and nsw cups is good idea. take a select few each year sort them out with work and such and if they dont kick on, then its back to png. also maybe getting a png side in the cyril connell and mal meninga cups

Eels Dude

Coach
the posts above about making it easier for png players to get runs for nrl feeder sides in the q and nsw cups is good idea. take a select few each year sort them out with work and such and if they dont kick on, then its back to png. also maybe getting a png side in the cyril connell and mal meninga cups

Isn't there a working visa issue though? That's something only the governments have a say on.

Seriously if the security staff assigned to protect you are beating up people like that no player should be forced to attend away games in PNG. Hence why PNG just cannot have an NRL side in the near future.

and no one ever gets beat up in oz