What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG bid for NRL

DINGb@T

Juniors
Oh, as far as their application goes-

In the conversation with Gallop I'd be repeating the phrase 'South East Asia' as many times as possible. End every sentance with it. 'South East Asia'. Then make sure you point out how many people are in South East Asia, how many potential TV markets are in South East Asia and how close South East Asia is to Japan and the big C word- China. Doesn't matter that there's little cultural link between PNG and the rest of South East Asia, I'd just spin the conversation that way cause anything to do with China gets a money mans knees weak. Besides- if we can have a basketball team from Singapore playing in the NBL we can at least sell TV rights to them.

I'd also get Krudd involved and tell him about all the wonderful Pacific Rim security benefits of having a more stable PNG. You'd be surprised how much concern there is for this problematic part of the world (as far as Aussie governement is concerned) and placing a footy team in Port Moresby could be taken very seriously.

Then you visit all the big mining companies and stress how favourably you'll look upon anyone who has the country's best intentions at heart. Then write a number on a piece of paper with plenty of zeros and slide it across the desk. (PNG is the sort of place you can do that)

Then I'd say 'listen to what these blokes say' and leave them in the competent hands of 2 gents from the Gold Coast while I took Gallop aside again and had a chat about how PNG would lead to a multinational comp, which could lead to a new monicker for the league, which would then get everyone off his back for ignoring Perth. An argument like that could very well clinch the deal.

(PS Dont worry. Later I'd work out how to get Perth into the comp later)

roopy

Referee
Resourceful PNG has big backing for entry into the NRL

Roy Masters | October 24, 2008

MINING magnate Clive Palmer is the impetus behind Papua New Guinea's bid to enter a team in the NRL within a decade, the rich energy resources of the country being both the lure and the means of financing the franchise.
As PNG prepare to play England tomorrow in the opening World Cup game in Townsville, momentum for the bid is growing, with the NRL's newest club, the Titans, providing advice on how to clear the numerous hurdles the NRL is expected to raise.
Former PNG Minister for Defence Ben Sabumei, the immediate past president of the PNGRL, is likely to head the bid team that has co-opted Titans chairman Paul Broughton, the code's most experienced active official. Sabumei predicted PNG's untapped energy resources and mineral wealth would finance a future team and build a stadium in Port Moresby via tax concessions offered to mining investors.
"We expect that $US30 billion ($45b) will be invested in PNG over the next 30 years, generating enormous revenue for the country," said Sabumei, arguing the country is largely immune from the world's financial meltdown. With money coming in at the rate of $US1b a year, a lot of companies will make a lot of money and we can give them tax breaks if they build a stadium and finance our team. If we find these investors, we won't have to put our hand out to the government for a free handout."
Palmer, who owns the Gold Coast A-League team, met with PNG ministers mid year.
"Clive Palmer came up here some months back and I met with him and the Minister for Energy," Sabumei said. "We were supposed to talk oil and gas in PNG but we talked for an hour on rugby league. All he wanted to talk about was how good it would be to have an NRL team."
Palmer, who also sponsors the Southport Tigers rugby league team, suggested Sabumei liaise with Titans officials.
PNG's Prime Minister, Sir Michael Somare, subsequently became involved, writing to Broughton on September 27: "Two of my Ministers, Hon. William Duma and Hon Philemon Embel, have spoken to me of your efforts and encouragement for a PNG team into the NRL competition … The experience gained by the Titans club under your leadership will be relevant and necessary for PNG to emulate when it commences its journey towards meeting the requirements of the NRL."
Australia's Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd, has been briefed and plans to ask Queensland coach Mal Meninga to advise on the development of PNG players.
"Our PM is in talks with Rudd," Sabumei said. "The political will is there. We need scholarships for our boys to go to Australia and we need to establish an academy here. A lot of Queensland companies do business in PNG."

Queensland's 89-member Parliament will sit in Cairns next week, and the guest of honour is Somare, while Santos, Oil Search and Lihir Gold are big players in PNG and based in Australia, along with banking giants ANZ and Westpac. Meninga enjoys a godlike status in PNG.
Still, not all Australians are popular in PNG. The country's Post-Courier newspaper quoted Kumuls coach Adrian Lam from a speech the former NRL first-grader gave at a farewell reception for the team.
Upset that TV interests have joined PNG in a pool with the giants - New Zealand, England and Australia - Lam said: "No one cares about us and I did everything I could to change the draw.
"I argued with them [organisers] for three hours but got nowhere … We will be stronger, we won't be broken and we will give it to them, the British.
"Now I am asking from the bottom of my heart for the Kumuls to understand that special things come to special people and we will stay positive and play hard for the country. We will give it to them, the British."
Because PNG is a member country of the International Rugby League Board, it can't enter a team in the NRL, in the same way the New Zealand Warriors are a separate entity to the NZRL and owned by Kiwi businessman Eric Watson. Sabumei understands this and plans to raise a private consortium.
"Once we let it be known that our government backs us, business will jump in," he predicts. "We're looking at a time frame of six to 10 years.
"Paul Broughton will be on our bid team with Mal Meninga, plus one or two others with connections in Australia and our businessmen here.
"Clive Palmer enthused us. He took us to a Titans match and an Origin game."
Broughton confirmed this, saying Palmer had outlaid $20,000 and the Titans $5000 on tickets and entertainment for PNG officials at the June 11 Origin match and the Manly game at Skilled Park. "He met with the PNG PM and offered to assist by way of contacting the Titans and in hosting the delegates and the ARL were quite happy for me to proceed," Broughton said.
However, the ARL would only be partly involved in the decision to include a PNG team, as it is a member of the NRL Partnership Committee. The NRL is likely to raise the same hurdles the Titans relentlessly cleared, including a stadium, revenue guarantees and travel commitments.
"We hope Clive Palmer will invest here but we are also sure there are other Clive Palmers around who will want to see the benefits an NRL team can bring and how it will improve the lives of our people," Sabumei said.
"We have six million people here and it will be seven million by the time we get an NRL team."
Broughton said it was not just about a football team. "It's as much about sport influencing culture, about the patriotism PNG felt after World War II and respect from your Pacific Island neighbours," he said. "It's about heroes and pride and recognition in being part of a national sporting competition in another country."
Queensland's 89-member Parliament will sit in Cairns next week, and the guest of honour is Somare, while Santos, Oil Search and Lihir Gold are big players in PNG and based in Australia, along with banking giants ANZ and Westpac. Meninga enjoys a godlike status in PNG.
Still, not all Australians are popular in PNG. The country's Post-Courier newspaper quoted Kumuls coach Adrian Lam from a speech the former NRL first-grader gave at a farewell reception for the team.
Upset that TV interests have joined PNG in a pool with the giants - New Zealand, England and Australia - Lam said: "No one cares about us and I did everything I could to change the draw.
"I argued with them [organisers] for three hours but got nowhere … We will be stronger, we won't be broken and we will give it to them, the British.
"Now I am asking from the bottom of my heart for the Kumuls to understand that special things come to special people and we will stay positive and play hard for the country. We will give it to them, the British."
Because PNG is a member country of the International Rugby League Board, it can't enter a team in the NRL, in the same way the New Zealand Warriors are a separate entity to the NZRL and owned by Kiwi businessman Eric Watson. Sabumei understands this and plans to raise a private consortium.
"Once we let it be known that our government backs us, business will jump in," he predicts. "We're looking at a time frame of six to 10 years.
"Paul Broughton will be on our bid team with Mal Meninga, plus one or two others with connections in Australia and our businessmen here.
"Clive Palmer enthused us. He took us to a Titans match and an Origin game."
Broughton confirmed this, saying Palmer had outlaid $20,000 and the Titans $5000 on tickets and entertainment for PNG officials at the June 11 Origin match and the Manly game at Skilled Park. "He met with the PNG PM and offered to assist by way of contacting the Titans and in hosting the delegates and the ARL were quite happy for me to proceed," Broughton said.
However, the ARL would only be partly involved in the decision to include a PNG team, as it is a member of the NRL Partnership Committee. The NRL is likely to raise the same hurdles the Titans relentlessly cleared, including a stadium, revenue guarantees and travel commitments.
"We hope Clive Palmer will invest here but we are also sure there are other Clive Palmers around who will want to see the benefits an NRL team can bring and how it will improve the lives of our people," Sabumei said.
"We have six million people here and it will be seven million by the time we get an NRL team."
Broughton said it was not just about a football team. "It's as much about sport influencing culture, about the patriotism PNG felt after World War II and respect from your Pacific Island neighbours," he said. "It's about heroes and pride and recognition in being part of a national sporting competition in another country."

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...-the-nrl/2008/10/23/1224351449054.html?page=2

roopy

Referee
Quite frankly, if they can guarentee a suitable venue and airfares are covered, it has to happen.
The NRL gets twice the number of fans of the AFL at the stroke of a pen.

bowes

Juniors
Nice idea in theory but sadly totally unviable. Get them 1 or better yet 2 teams in the Queensland Cup, all locals (with costs covered) and the best players will be seen by the NRL. Either that or invest in the SP cup to get it up to nearly Queensland Cup standard if possible

roopy

Referee
Nice idea in theory but sadly totally unviable. Get them 1 or better yet 2 teams in the Queensland Cup, all locals (with costs covered) and the best players will be seen by the NRL. Either that or invest in the SP cup to get it up to nearly Queensland Cup standard if possible
So you know more about this than the government of PNG and CEOs of major companies?

DINGb@T

Juniors
:crazy::crazy::crazy: It defeats the purpose if it's only developing players!!!!

The whole point is national pride, therefore they're going for their own team, not just a better youth development system. No team = they probably wont bother.

And as for that article- at a time frame of 6-10 years with both governments, cashed up businessmen, the ARL, the Titans, the bloke from the Gold Coast soccer team and Big Mal (or 'His Royal Highness' as he will be known by his new students) I reckon they'll make a good go of it. Mal is already on record saying he reckons they need to start in the QLD Cup so that's 5-9 years of build up while they cross the Ts and dot the Is. (Plenty of time to 'securitise' Port Moresby to)

Throw in an extra 7 million league fans and the only thing standing in the way is the need to restructure the comp or add another team. Ipswich or Perth? Or do we get rid of another team altogether...... hmmm.......

That old chestnut again.

The people who are dismissing this out of hand need to read the article: Clive Palmer believes it's possible and the PNG Government believes it's possible... what's more both he and the PNG Government are in the ear of the Queensland government, KRudd, and have high-profile sports management people like Paul Broughton onside.

Seems they could put up an excellent bid... and if they do I hope we see them in NRL.

brendothejet

First Grade
I think this would be a great way to springboard the international game to a place of prominence.

Catalans and the Warriors have shown what good it does to a national side, the games profile and growth when included in larger competitions.

You would like to think down the track there will be irish, scotish and other Euro sides competiting in a northern hemisphere competition, whilst the Pacific Islands gain reputation throughout the NRL and the entire region.

nadera78

Juniors
For a much smaller financial investment, and in quicker time, you'd get better results by emphasising the development of young players and giving them an opportunity to graduate to NRL clubs in Australia. Within five years we could have a PNG national team made up entirely of NRL and ESL players.

Conversely a PNG NRL team would take longer to establish, would still rely on Aussie players and would be way, way more expensive.

I still think if Palmer wants to do something to help the game in PNG (and at the same time help his mining business ambitions) then he'd be better off putting funding into a bog standard 30-40,000 capacity stadium with a RL Academy based in it.

Also, I have to say that for a coutnry like PNG, where government income is so precious in trying to raise the living standards of some of the world's poorest people, I don't like the idea of tax concessions being given to companies that support a Rugby League team. PNG needs every single penny it can get in tax dollars.

Last edited:

Ari Gold

Bench
By Steve Mascord

November 10, 2008 12:00am

PAPUA New Guinea's Government last night committed $20 million to an NRL bid and claimed Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd wants a PNG team in the premiership.
PNG Prime Minister Michael Somare announced the $20 million figure when he presented the Kumuls with their jerseys before the pool one World Cup game against Australia at Dairy Farmers Stadium.
"Mr Rudd informed me that he met with the ARL and NRL two weeks ago and asked them to report back on the long-term business plan with a view to including a PNG team in the Australian competition," Somare said in a statement.
"It goes much deeper than the entry of a PNG team. The commitment of both governments to work together to progress this sport's initiative will take our renewed bilateral relations to newer heights."
Mr Somare said he would work hard on the development of infrastructure necessary, including a stadium, administration, TV rights and technical expertise to make a PNG NRL team a reality.

:):)

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Whilst it would be great there are too many potential problems. Basically it would be akin to the PNG national team in the NRL, and if they are ever to expect good international results they would theoretically have to win the comp every year. Take the $20m and create a top class comp in PNG.

roopy

Referee
The reason the government are interested is for all the potential spinoffs for PNG.
Tourism, communications, international relations, public health.
It would be hard to do, but it isn't the NRL doing it, it's the governments of PNG and Australia doing it because it will provide everything from new hotels to national pride to the people of PNG.
All the NRL has to do is say, sure, but you pay for it and do all the work, and stand back and reap their share of the rewards.
The NRL and RL can't lose, even if the whole thing falls in a huge hole.

ozenzud

Juniors
Yes I think the PNG sees this as much more than a footy issue. Tourism and development is the issue here not footy. It would create a chance for people to see PNG as a destination and not be scared of it. All we hear is horror stories. This would be a chance to develop a tourist infrastructure.

The PNG team the national team? Like the warriors, with Tate and Price in it?

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
They're seeing this as something that can move their country forward.

I don't know if it's the right thing for the government to be spending their money on though, they've got far more important problems there.

Angry_eel

First Grade
hmm sounds good. If they do come in, they'll be like the bunnies for the first few years and then they will become successful eventually.

Nz

Juniors
Why don't they use that 20 Million on its people instead.

Let the sponsors do the high end stuff.