What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG's back.

Maximus

Coach
Is this the drugs and hookers argument again? we aren’t talking about what the limits are … we are talking about this specific thing .. money to start up and run a football team and pathways

I get it… you aren’t in favour of it…not many are …and logically it doesn’t make sense, particularly when there are much better expansion options ..

It doesn’t mean it’s not going to happen though… this idea has been around forever .. there has been plenty of time to quietly tell PNG no…

Instead the opposite has happened the last few weeks with the NRL, PNG and Aus governments are talking about it and details being leaked to the media…

Makes me think at the very least .., where there is smoke there is fire ..

The fact is, that they can ask all they want, but we shouldn't give them something that is unreasonable.

They have asked for the NRL team in return for not building a Chinese military base, and apparently we are willing to fund it for 10 years, but what happens after that? They have not shown that they can, or will, fund it after that. The team is unlikely to be able to pay for itself, especially with all the extra costs of having the players live in Australia and therefore have to travel every single week. So then in 10 years time when the team goes bust, do they let China build a base, or do they threaten us again?

People keep pushing this idea that since they asked for the NRL team, we should give it to them, so my drugs and hookers reference is an extreme example to show why we shouldn't just give them whatever they ask for.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The fact is, that they can ask all they want, but we shouldn't give them something that is unreasonable.

They have asked for the NRL team in return for not building a Chinese military base, and apparently we are willing to fund it for 10 years, but what happens after that? They have not shown that they can, or will, fund it after that. The team is unlikely to be able to pay for itself, especially with all the extra costs of having the players live in Australia and therefore have to travel every single week. So then in 10 years time when the team goes bust, do they let China build a base, or do they threaten us again?

People keep pushing this idea that since they asked for the NRL team, we should give it to them, so my drugs and hookers reference is an extreme example to show why we shouldn't just give them whatever they ask for.
Whats hilarious is PNG are playing both sides for fools. China has pumped over $2.5bill into PNG in last 5 years and just announced a $600mill building project, Australia around $2bill in same time period and now this $600mill folly.

Fair play to PNG they are like the gold digger girlfriend playing two blokes and milking them both for all their worth lol

Maximus

Coach
Whats hilarious is PNG are playing both sides for fools. China has pumped over $2.5bill into PNG in last 5 years and just announced a $600mill building project, Australia around $2bill in same time period and now this $600mill folly.

Fair play to PNG they are like the gold digger girlfriend playing two blokes and milking them both for all their worth lol

60% of their population has no access to safe drinking water
40% of their population lives below the poverty line

But hey, we are giving some money to elite athletes to fly in and out of there 12 times a year.

BuffaloRules

Coach

The “ideas that others are pushing” on these forums doesn’t really interest me too much…I am looking at what is actually happening .. and this bid is unusual given there is a political involvement so we are getting words out of the PMs mouth

There is no argument from me around whether the situation around this bid is logical … i have already said it isn’t… however I doubt Albo is going to be losing much sleep about the finer details ..I doubt he really wants to be dealing with this particular issue at all…

But it seems to be an issue for our friends in PNG . Our nearest neighbour and someone the Aust Govt wants to keep onside in these uncertain times... this has been something that PNG have pushed for years …

Now you can have your thoughts around the ethics and morality and whether it will ultimately be successful in 10 years when “the money runs out”… but I doubt the Aust Govt cares about any of those things … they will be more interested in keeping our nearest neighbour happy for what is a pittance amount of money in their eyes ..(they are spending 500 times the amount on submarines to keep the US happy as you said) …

Like I said … this idea would have been shut down by now if they weren’t considering it seriously … and they certainly wouldn’t be making details public elevating the embarrassment for the PNG PM..if they thought it was going to be shut down in the near future..

We can have the discussion around the drugs and hookers when the next PNG PM gets elected and asks for that …

BuffaloRules

Coach

What else do they have to “sell”?

they gotta eat too..

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Hate to tell you but the revenue gap in 2025 becomes bigger than its ever been! But Vegas and PNG will sort it Im sure.
We'll run them down, we've had massive revenue increases over the last decade whilst simultaneously being a rabble. Once we get our house in order (20 team womens and men, international game firing, further asset investment amongst many other things) the game becomes more and more attractive to sponsors

Wb1234

Referee

Wow so much money so it is transforming away from a third world nation

go png !

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Is there a limit to what we should give them just because they ask for it? Or anything goes?
That doesn’t have anything to do with the point I'm making.

People are talking about lack of basic essentials for PNG whilst we fund pathways, a centre of excellence and pay NRL players. All that is correct, but the NRL or Aus Govt isn't coming in forcing this on PNG. They have asked for it.

We need to see the full details of the arrangements (that are far from settled) before we can judge the bids quality. However it has been mentioned a few times that RL is going to be used as a vehicle to drive education and social programs so it's not just RL benefiting, but also contributing

Wb1234

Referee
We'll run them down, we've had massive revenue increases over the last decade whilst simultaneously being a rabble. Once we get our house in order (20 team womens and men, international game firing, further asset investment amongst many other things) the game becomes more and more attractive to sponsors
Afl has always had more teams than us

the formation of the commission saw the first tv deal signed being a good one

then Dave smith decided it would be smart to take on news ltd with no plan b and out of spite afl got an exta 100 million pa

despite that their ratings have fallen whilst leagues are though the roof

with extra teams and the pacific cup the gap will
Be in our favour

Perth Red

Post Whore
That doesn’t have anything to do with the point I'm making.

People are talking about lack of basic essentials for PNG whilst we fund pathways, a centre of excellence and pay NRL players. All that is correct, but the NRL or Aus Govt isn't coming in forcing this on PNG. They have asked for it.

We need to see the full details of the arrangements (that are far from settled) before we can judge the bids quality. However it has been mentioned a few times that RL is going to be used as a vehicle to drive education and social programs so it's not just RL benefiting, but also contributing
They also asked for china to build them a multi million $ convention centre, which is now sitting derelict.

Maximus

Coach
Like I said … this idea would have been shut down by now if they weren’t considering it seriously … and they certainly wouldn’t be making details public elevating the embarrassment for the PNG PM..if they thought it was going to be shut down in the near future..

The fact it came from some unknown journalist suggests that it was drip-fed to see what the reaction would be.

BuffaloRules

Coach
The fact it came from some unknown journalist suggests that it was drip-fed to see what the reaction would be.

Wasnt the journalist Peter Badel?

Wouldnt describe him as “unknown”.

I do agree they are seeing what the reaction is

News Ltd seem supportive to me so far .,, of course that can change on a whim

Perth Red

Post Whore
Wasnt the journalist Peter Badel?

Wouldnt describe him as “unknown”.

I do agree they are seeing what the reaction is

News Ltd seem supportive to me so far .,, of course that can change on a whim
Since the tv deal news ltd have been supportive of whatever Vlandys has done. Cant kill the goose that lays the golden egg!

BuffaloRules

Coach
Since the tv deal news ltd have been supportive of whatever Vlandys has done. Cant kill the goose that lays the golden egg!

I also mentioned when the PNG story was coming out two weeks ago, that it was during the same time that Racing NSW was spending a ton of money in the Telegraph on the Everest , Big Dance etc…

I think that News Ltd will ”go easy “ until PNG gets the green light …. Then all the dickheads at the Telegraph will have all their negative stories already written…

Perth Red

Post Whore
I also mentioned when the PNG story was coming out two weeks ago, that it was during the same time that NSW Racing was spending a ton of money in the Telegraph on the Everest , Big Dance etc…

I think that News Ltd will ”go easy “ until PNG gets the green light …. Then all the dickheads at the Telegraph will have all their negative stories already written…
Nah, not a sydney club so they will barley get a mention. Wests tigers are hoping though lol

Maximus

Coach
Ah right…

She did mention it first on a radio show….but didn’t have any details….

The Telegraph started writing stories about a week later …

Yep, drip-feed it to some nobody, see what the initial reaction is, then get more prominent journos to push it.

Then put out a statement to say you are investigating the possibility while you wait to see if it's got public support. If there is support, push ahead, if there isn't, say you investigated it and there are too many problems to overcome.

At this stage the government have really said nothing other than that they investigating it, so it's easy for them to back out of it.