What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG's back.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So the 60 million pa figure is being mentioned again
A $600 million investment over 10 years has been widely reported but is yet to be confirmed by the Labor government.

didnt the govt and png bid come out recently and say no final money amount has been allocated yet?

MugaB

Coach
A $600 million investment over 10 years has been widely reported but is yet to be confirmed by the Labor government.
Dude its reported why are you crapping on as if its a falsehood... its been all over the papers for the past whatever 6 months, are you seriously that jealous

Wb1234

Immortal

didnt the govt and png bid come out recently and say no final money amount has been allocated yet?
500 million jump in govt funding proposed in two weeks

amazing

They couldn't really threaten them, the bears is already a brand name, and they'd drop the locale anyways just as the dolphins have...
And Brisbane already has teams in their city, i doubt the bears would get into the Brisbane market, before east tigers anyway...
I think the Brisbane Lions operate under the name Brisbane Bears-Fitzroy Lions PTY LTD.

North Sydney could get around that by using the name South Queensland Bears. Just calling themselves Bears would allow them to represent North Sydney, Brisbane and Central Coast.

Im hoping he's just bluffing to try and get the WA govt to put more on the table. Genius if he is, if he isn't and he's serious then strap in for what will be a fascinating ride!
Brisbane Tigers + North Sydney Bears = East Coast Bears

Brisbane Tigers have the location and facilities but lack a marketable brand.

North Sydney Bears have a great brand but lack a location and facilities.

The two clubs compliment one another as the East Coast Bears.

The new entity could share its home games between Brisbane and Central Coast. The more games played in Brisbane and the Central Coast the better.

Perth Red

Post Whore

The new entity could share its home games between Brisbane and Central Coast. The more games played in Brisbane and the Central Coast the better.
Haha that’d make wests tigers look like a dream team! No egos or power struggles at all im sure. Firehawks have got a pretty good shot at club 20 if it takes another ten years or so to get there, they’ll be hanging out for that hope.

Canard

Immortal

Anyone seriously suggesting a transplanted Sydney team would work in QLD, is not a student of the game in Queensland.

MugaB

Coach
Anyone seriously suggesting a transplanted Sydney team would work in QLD, is not a student of the game in Queensland.
It does look good on paper tho they are missing what each other have,..... but i agree, qlders are very fickle, even the titans are looked upon as the distant red head step child, all coz they border and include tweed as their territory/catchment/area, imagine a full on nsw named team, theyd treat them like a motherinlaw

It does look good on paper tho they are missing what each other have,..... but i agree, qlders are very fickle, even the titans are looked upon as the distant red head step child, all coz they border and include tweed as their territory/catchment/area, imagine a full on nsw named team, theyd treat them like a motherinlaw

Hit the nail on the head. I never warmed to the Titans at their inception because to me they came across as a NSW team, not a Queensland one. Michael Searle was a flashy snake oil salesman who brought in a former Panthers player as the head coach and imported a whole lot of players from Sydney clubs. They tried to be a glamour club.

The club has turned it around in recent times by actually signing Queenslanders like Tino and Fifita and promoting juniors from the region, which is what they should have done in the first place. Their crowds have improved as a result and I put it down to the club actually engaging with their region.

You put a former Sydney club up here in Queensland and you'll have empty stands. The Queensland corporates won't back it either.

MugaB

Coach
Hit the nail on the head. I never warmed to the Titans at their inception because to me they came across as a NSW team, not a Queensland one. Michael Searle was a flashy snake oil salesman who brought in a former Panthers player as the head coach and imported a whole lot of players from Sydney clubs. They tried to be a glamour club.

The club has turned it around in recent times by actually signing Queenslanders like Tino and Fifita and promoting juniors from the region, which is what they should have done in the first place. Their crowds have improved as a result and I put it down to the club actually engaging with their region.

You put a former Sydney club up here in Queensland and you'll have empty stands. The Queensland corporates won't back it either.
Yeah i agree, but if it wasn't set up in brisbane, and these two bidders were to merge forces.... then a strong club they would be, it would be very hard to see a down side... maybe they need to be the Pasifika team together, take a few home games to sfs, and suncorp, then the rest criusing around the islands, colors of black, gold and red, it would be a very basterdised west indies-like super club

Last edited:
The PNG bid will face severe opposition from the 17 NRL clubs, but Albo is the sort of bloke who doesn't care about rocking the boat. It's hard to tell when V'landys is being serious and when he's just throwing a bone to the media.

MugaB

Coach
The PNG bid will face severe opposition from the 17 NRL clubs, but Albo is the sort of bloke who doesn't care about rocking the boat. It's hard to tell when V'landys is being serious and when he's just throwing a bone to the media.
In what way? They are the least expensive team to the NRL clubs in terms of stealling players, staff or even taking away fans/members from existing teams, plus prospective sponsors,(like KIA who were with dogs jumping to bronx)
anyone who thinks cowboy fans jumping ship to follow the neighbouring team 10+ hours north of them is kidding themselves, any other bid will certainly steal one or all of the above

In what way? They are the least expensive team to the NRL clubs in terms of stealling players, staff or even taking away fans/members from existing teams, plus prospective sponsors,(like KIA who were with dogs jumping to bronx)
anyone who thinks cowboy fans jumping ship to follow the neighbouring team 10+ hours north of them is kidding themselves, any other bid will certainly steal one or all of the above

The logistics of flying teams in and out of Port Moresby on game day won't sit well with the RLPA and 17 NRL clubs.