What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG's back.

Vlad59

Bench
Interesting to watch all the “I told you so’ mob celebrating the potential death of a proposal that was never actually put forward in the first place. This thread is a hot bed of BS and egos.

Canard

Immortal
NRL Bid 25 chief executive officer Andrew Hill was recently in Cairns and provided Councillors, Council officers and local business and industry stakeholders with an overview of the PNG NRL proposal.

The Cowboys can breathe a sigh of relief as rugby league’s chief powerbroker Peter V’landys allayed fears the next NRL expansion team would be on the club’s doorstep.
The ARL Commission chairman made it clear that the NRL would push for its second international team in Papua New Guinea but revealed his strong preference that the club would be based on the other side of the Torres Strait.
With no firm time frame on expansion, V’landys said it would take two to three years to set up the necessary infrastructure to base a team in the rugby league-mad nation.
The ARL Commission chairman spoke at the North Queensland Cowboys season launch on Friday, using the platform to reveal the NRL’s desire to grow the game internationally.
V’landys allayed any fears that the team would be based in Far North Queensland, and potentially leach off the resources and rich talent pool of the Cowboys.
“There was no secret that the Australian government is concerned about Papua New Guinea and the importance in Australia’s security and the soft diplomacy about getting a team into Papua New Guinea,” V’landys said.
“To my surprise when I started looking at all this, there’s 18 million people in Papua New Guinea and they love rugby league. There’s discussion as to where the team would be based and we’re starting to lean to base it in Papua New Guinea – build some infrastructure there, build housing, build everything.
“We’re exploring all options, and naturally there’s an opportunity to base them in Australia. “But the more I think about it the more I think they may be better based in Papua New Guinea.

“Justin Olam came out and said the other day you’re only going to be successful if you’re based in Papua New Guinea. That way they’re going to have that support from the local communities and I think you might get more success by having them there.”
The messaging out of rugby league headquarters would be music to the ears of Cowboys supporters, with the club fearful a potential PNG side based in neighbouring Cairns would be at the detriment of the ‘locally-owned’ Cowboys.
V’landys cautioned against rushing expansion but said PNG could be the logical 18th team with the financial backing of the Australian Government
“You just can’t go into Papua New Guinea and expect to be successful,” he said. “It’s got a long way to go but that is our preferred option at the moment and the Australian government is prepared to invest substantial money into that.”

Basing the team in Cairns was never going to work. If it is to succeed then it'll need to be based in Port Moresby. The infrastructure will need to be built so it can cope with the demands of competing in the NRL.

Maximus

Coach
They've got their excuse in place now, so when they announce a different team, they can point to the fact that a team based in Port Moresby wouldn't work for a couple of decades.

Saves them the embarrassment of talking about how it's a certainty, and then having to back out once they spent more than a minute thinking about the logistics.

Vlad59

Bench
They've got their excuse in place now, so when they announce a different team, they can point to the fact that a team based in Port Moresby wouldn't work for a couple of decades.

Saves them the embarrassment of talking about how it's a certainty, and then having to back out once they spent more than a minute thinking about the logistics.
My my you are such a know all ain’t ya mate!

Maximus

Coach
Don’t like being challenged hey mate? Being a pompous git comes easily to you. Stew in your endless negativity old boy. You excel at it.

What challenge did you provide?

Go ahead and try to provide an argument for the first time.

MugaB

Coach
It's your mate Vlad having the sook.
Nah mate, its you who needs to reply to every post, and sook, geez we fkn get it mate, you hate the png bid, droning on about it like a karen, aint going to stop it from happening, if they dont get 18th they'll be one of the next 2 after, just accept it and move on

Last edited:

Maximus

Coach
Nah mate, its you who needs to reply to every post, amd sook, geez we fkn get it mate, you hate the png bid, droning on about it like a karen, aint going to stop it from happening, if they dont get 18th they'll be one of the next 2 after, just accept it and move on

Oh so if an article is posted it I'm not allowed to respond?

You responding to every single one of my posts, having a sook and droning on about them like a Karen also isn't going to stop me from posting. Just accept it and move on.

MugaB

Coach
Oh so if an article is posted it I'm not allowed to respond?

You responding to every single one of my posts, having a sook and droning on about them like a Karen also isn't going to stop me from posting. Just accept it and move on.
Toućhe MF
20240218_095418.gif
Of course you can respond to an article, but you seem to constantly ooze negative nancy vibes in every post, you might as well change your name to fitzsimmons, and wear a red bandana

Last edited: