What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG's back.

docbrown

Coach
Wasn’t referring to you Doc. You’ve covered most if not all of the risk. I can’t imagine the government funding this team without some social purpose. I’d expect the NRL would be used as a vehicle for those programs. If it’s just a football team you’re 100% correct. It has to be a lot more than that.
True and it’s all about the specific details for sure. Though considering how the Voice is going, I somewhat doubt there’ll be bipartisan support on this.

docbrown

Coach
Where would a PNG team be based in order to maximise player recruitment interest and minimise security/logistics concerns?

If I had to preference it on that basis I'd argue: Sydney > Brisbane > Auckland > Central Queensland > Darwin > Cairns > Suva > Port Moresby

For example. Players live in Sydney. 10 away games in Sydney/Newcastle. 8 games in Port Moresby. 7 other away games in Brisbane, Townsville, Canberra, Melbourne and Auckland.

That to me is far better than a PNG team in Cairns playing on the road for almost every game of the season.

jim_57

Staff member
Where would a PNG team be based in order to maximise player recruitment interest and minimise security/logistics concerns?

If I had to preference it on that basis I'd argue: Sydney > Brisbane > Auckland > Central Queensland > Darwin > Cairns > Suva > Port Moresby

For example. Players live in Sydney. 10 away games in Sydney/Newcastle. 8 games in Port Moresby. 7 other away games in Brisbane, Townsville, Canberra, Melbourne and Auckland.

That to me is far better than a PNG team in Cairns playing on the road for almost every game of the season.

I’d say Sydney probably makes the most sense as a training and living base, Brisbane 2nd.

Sydney based you have 10 “away” games in Sydney, Newcastle, Wollongong. 2 away games elsewhere.

Brisbane based you’d only have 3 away games in SEQ but that could be bumped up to 4-5 with some strategic planning, games taken by other clubs to Sunshine Coast or Toowoomba could have PNG as the away team. They could also play a couple of home games in Brisbane for Magic round and Vs the Dolphins or Broncos.

Ideally you’d want at least 10 games in PNG for a PNG side but a couple being used strategically to save travel and bring in some money wouldn’t hurt. If they have to be FIFO then it may as well be somewhere central, better training facilities available in Sydney or Brisbane too most likely.

Perth Red

Post Whore
There's a massive difference between a Perth NRL side wouldn't be reliant on support from the WA gov to survive, and a PNG NRL side that would be totally reliant on Aus government support.
He’s too dumb to see any difference between a club being totally reliant on govt subsidy to exist and a team,and the game, benefiting from a govt investing in infrastructure around the sport.