What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG's back.

Canard

Immortal
Not any more, as i said i changed during covid. And they arent making 40k on train and trial
We aren't seriously arguing that swathes of PNG players would suddenly be signed to train and trial contracts though.

And even if we were, why should the Australian Govt give a visa to someone on $1000/week that might get cut any day.

I'm talking about the QCup and above talents. Why aren't PNG producing NRL players? Visa isn't the reason.

We need to strengthen the development of the game there. People conflate popularity with production of talent.

We aren't seriously arguing that swathes of PNG players would suddenly be signed to train and trial contracts though.

And even if we were, why should the Australian Govt give a visa to someone on $1000/week that might get cut any day.

I'm talking about the QCup and above talents. Why aren't PNG producing NRL players? Visa isn't the reason.

We need to strengthen the development of the game there. People conflate popularity with production of talent.
i grew up there, natural talent isnt the issue. plenty of boys better than guys i played with in senior high school in aus that went on to trial and play nsw cup.

junior development i believe is the issue, thats why most of the png boys we hear about have been in oz for a very long time.

they are slowly putting the pathways in place

Canard

Immortal
i grew up there, natural talent isnt the issue. plenty of boys better than guys i played with in senior high school in aus that went on to trial and play nsw cup.

junior development i believe is the issue, thats why most of the png boys we hear about have been in oz for a very long time.

they are slowly putting the pathways in place

100% my point. Having a plastic NRL team based in Australia representing PNG doesn't solve this.

The ARLC spending time and money developing their development system does.

100% my point. Having a plastic NRL team based in Australia representing PNG doesn't solve this.

totally agree. you look at the guys coming through here in oz and they have been in systems from the age of 12. the png boys wouldnt see this until they hit the hunters

jim_57

Staff member

An under 18s Hunters team playing in the Mal Meninga Cup with development systems leading in to that would be a better pathway than the Hunters currently offer. Not many NRL clubs are going to want to put time, money & effort in to a 20-something PNG player in the hopes they might play NRL after 2-3 years in their feeder teams. Getting them at 17-19 different story.

Brian potter

First Grade
Read the comments section on any of the hunters games or digicel cup games uploaded onto YouTube and you’ll see a lot of papuan‘s talking about certain biases shown against players from different regions of PNG who believe that there are better players currently playing in the digicel cup than in the current hunters squad.

So because of this I would propose the introduction of a 2nd PNG based Queensland cup team based in Lae along with at least 2 junior grade sides at u21&u19 levels playing in the Queensland youth competitions run by either the PNGRL or by both the PNG based Queensland cup teams eventually when there’s enough talent being produced at schoolboy levels to feed into 2 teams.

Wb1234

Referee
An under 18s Hunters team playing in the Mal Meninga Cup with development systems leading in to that would be a better pathway than the Hunters currently offer. Not many NRL clubs are going to want to put time, money & effort in to a 20-something PNG player in the hopes they might play NRL after 2-3 years in their feeder teams. Getting them at 17-19 different story.
Nrl team with full pathways from reserve grade to under 16 to scouts at schoolboys

Read the comments section on any of the hunters games or digicel cup games uploaded onto YouTube and you’ll see a lot of papuan‘s talking about certain biases shown against players from different regions of PNG who believe that there are better players currently playing in the digicel cup than in the current hunters squad.

So because of this I would propose the introduction of a 2nd PNG based Queensland cup team based in Lae along with at least 2 junior grade sides at u21&u19 levels playing in the Queensland youth competitions run by either the PNGRL or by both the PNG based Queensland cup teams eventually when there’s enough talent being produced at schoolboy levels to feed into 2 teams.
It would be a good idea to have a team in Lae. There's no road connection between Port Moresby and Lae. A team in Lae would provide a better pathway for players from the north of the country.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don’t think it’s fair to judge pngs ability to produce players when they dont have an nrl team and pathways system. It will take a few years, and there has to be big concerns about how they build a competitive squad for those early years, but I have no doubt they will eventually. That’s presuming they have the resources to invest in pathways,

MugaB

Coach
Would be great to see an interview with Justin Olam to see what his perspective is.

Maybe an article that is a bit more recent and doesn't beef up perf ahead of everyone else hey?

Perth Red

Post Whore

Maybe an article that is a bit more recent and doesn't beef up perf ahead of everyone else hey?
PNG tourism? sht now theres a mission impossible lol

Latest posts