What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG's back.

Wb1234

Referee
Justin Olam feels rugby league powerbrokers have not consulted him about the Papua New Guinea expansion bid for fear he will warn against fast-tracking the team's entry into the NRL.

The premiership-winning PNG international says he is in favour of establishing a first-grade team in his homeland, but only after "a couple of years" investing in a proper pathways system.

"No one has ever chatted to me about anything, because my opinion doesn't line up with anyone, I think," the Wests Tigers centre told AAP of the bid to grant PNG the NRL's 18th licence.

So they want me to stay out of it. I don't mind. I'll always say what I think is best for the young kids back home because I've come through the path and I know what it is.

"I'm speaking from what I've experienced. I'm not talking out of the blue. This is what I think it is, because most of the people in power have never lived that life."

The Australian Rugby League Commission will meet next Wednesday for the latest round of expansion talks, with teams from PNG, Perth and New Zealand all options to enter the NRL as early as 2026.

The Australian Government is willing to pledge $600 million of funding to the PNG bid in the hope a team could be a diplomatic tool to strengthen relations in the Pacific.

But the viability of enticing current NRL players to live in PNG, and the team's ability to be immediately competitive, are possible sticking points.

The only NRL player to come through the Queensland Cup's PNG Hunters, Olam previously questioned suggestions the NRL could solve these issues by basing PNG's team in North Queensland.

The team now appears unlikely to fly in and fly out of PNG for games, rather basing itself in Port Morseby full-time, but Olam still has concerns.

But Olam said PNG needed a thriving schools program, and a plan to scout grassroots talent from rural areas, before the Digicel Cup was a sustainable source of NRL recruits.

"There's heaps of talent back at home, but for me the only reason I only came and played NRL was because I went to uni," Olam said.

"If I was in the village, I wouldn't have been able to make it here because we don't have that pathway.

"There's no steps to follow or proper pathway to come and play in the Digicel Cup.

"If there's a competition for schoolboys in PNG, the number of kids that are going to sign up to play is going to be massive.

"From that pool of talent, they can pick and have a proper pathway to develop players so they can have a good PNG team.

"My personal point of view is that I think we're jumping a few steps. There's nothing wrong with getting an NRL team but I think not now. In a couple of years time."

"I think it will be a good thing for the game to have a PNG team in the NRL, the fanbase and everything is there," he said.

"But players-wise, for me personally, I think we need to have a foundation first and that is developing grassroots football, junior football.

"I still feel like we've got a long way to go."

PNG's highest-level rugby league competition, the 12-team semi-professional Digicel Cup, would be the most logical talent pool from which the 18th team could draw.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Justin Olam feels rugby league powerbrokers have not consulted him about the Papua New Guinea expansion bid for fear he will warn against fast-tracking the team's entry into the NRL.

The premiership-winning PNG international says he is in favour of establishing a first-grade team in his homeland, but only after "a couple of years" investing in a proper pathways system.

"No one has ever chatted to me about anything, because my opinion doesn't line up with anyone, I think," the Wests Tigers centre told AAP of the bid to grant PNG the NRL's 18th licence.

So they want me to stay out of it. I don't mind. I'll always say what I think is best for the young kids back home because I've come through the path and I know what it is.

"I'm speaking from what I've experienced. I'm not talking out of the blue. This is what I think it is, because most of the people in power have never lived that life."

The Australian Rugby League Commission will meet next Wednesday for the latest round of expansion talks, with teams from PNG, Perth and New Zealand all options to enter the NRL as early as 2026.

The Australian Government is willing to pledge $600 million of funding to the PNG bid in the hope a team could be a diplomatic tool to strengthen relations in the Pacific.

But the viability of enticing current NRL players to live in PNG, and the team's ability to be immediately competitive, are possible sticking points.

The only NRL player to come through the Queensland Cup's PNG Hunters, Olam previously questioned suggestions the NRL could solve these issues by basing PNG's team in North Queensland.

The team now appears unlikely to fly in and fly out of PNG for games, rather basing itself in Port Morseby full-time, but Olam still has concerns.

But Olam said PNG needed a thriving schools program, and a plan to scout grassroots talent from rural areas, before the Digicel Cup was a sustainable source of NRL recruits.

"There's heaps of talent back at home, but for me the only reason I only came and played NRL was because I went to uni," Olam said.

"If I was in the village, I wouldn't have been able to make it here because we don't have that pathway.

"There's no steps to follow or proper pathway to come and play in the Digicel Cup.

"If there's a competition for schoolboys in PNG, the number of kids that are going to sign up to play is going to be massive.

"From that pool of talent, they can pick and have a proper pathway to develop players so they can have a good PNG team.

"My personal point of view is that I think we're jumping a few steps. There's nothing wrong with getting an NRL team but I think not now. In a couple of years time."

"I think it will be a good thing for the game to have a PNG team in the NRL, the fanbase and everything is there," he said.

"But players-wise, for me personally, I think we need to have a foundation first and that is developing grassroots football, junior football.

PNG's highest-level rugby league competition, the 12-team semi-professional Digicel Cup, would be the most logical talent pool from which the 18th team could draw.
Good call. The government can pour 600mil into pathways over a decade and we can go from there.

Brian potter

Bench

If PNG are to be given an NRL team then they must be announced as team #20 and be given a good 5 years lead in time for aggressive and extensive on the ground development by way of pathways from high school to age grade teams for the hunters competing in the u16, u18 and u20 Queensland competitions as well as increased funding for the domestic digicel cup and its linked junior programs.

Iamback

Coach
So Olam coming through the system.

Says the school comp is useless... Google says they have a school comp.

This why Google doesn't tell the full story despite what the forum drunk says

Pippen94

First Grade
I thought I'd post this here as it was a bit of an eye opener for me...

My girlfriend works as a marketing manager for a major car manufacturer and has just returned from a week in Port Moresby on a business trip.

Feedback was that there was quite a large expat population in the city and in certain areas of the city are quite wealthy and well secured / safe. I was worried about her safety there but she said she felt safe in the area she stayed and worked in. She did say however that there were security guards assigned to them "just in case" during their stay.

She said the harbour area is quite well developed and has quite a few resorts under construction and other improvements currently happening to make it an attractive waterfront area to try and attract more tourists.

An interesting anecdote that could suggest its not as bad as we imagine (in the parts the NRL players would be living) with potential for further improvements.

PNG hunters have existed for ten years

Pippen94

First Grade
You think the challenge of signing young or established Australian, English or kiwi players to move to perth is going to be the same as signing them To move to port Moresby? Cuckoo cuckoo

how many years before hunters players make up the bulk of a nrl png team? Or should I say how many decades?

so i come back to the question how will png sign a first grade squad to be even closely competitive.

Answer: money

Iamback

Coach
Where’s the players coming from for a png team? How will they sign a competiveteam?

They have the potential to develop players. Their system is no where near complete and they seem to develop a few ESL players a year now

No player is moving to PNG or Perth for that matter for minimum wage. The model PNG have started will get them a competitive enough team.

Perth will get guys by paying overs or longer deals but I don't see any new team being good for a few seasons

mikail-eagle

Bench

The official Facebook page of the PNG NRL Bid has all the updates of the work that has started on pathways and happening right now. There are competitions in Port Moresby, Lae, Kokopo, Rabaul, Kimbe, Mt Hagen, Goroka, Central province etc.

And there is a PNG National School boys & girls championships next Month In July.

I'm not sure how Justin doesn't know about any of this. Maybe he is upset that nothing is happening in his home Province of Chimbu. But it is such a remote way back Province which gets left behind most times. It is currently the only Highlands Region Province that doesn't have a Digicel Cup Team.

Canard

Immortal
If PNG are to be given an NRL team then they must be announced as team #20 and be given a good 5 years lead in time for aggressive and extensive on the ground development by way of pathways from high school to age grade teams for the hunters competing in the u16, u18 and u20 Queensland competitions as well as increased funding for the domestic digicel cup and its linked junior programs.

The official Facebook page of the PNG NRL Bid has all the updates of the work that has started on pathways and happening right now. There are competitions in Port Moresby, Lae, Kokopo, Rabaul, Kimbe, Mt Hagen, Goroka, Central province etc.

And there is a PNG National School boys & girls championships next Month In July.

I'm not sure how Justin doesn't know about any of this. Maybe he is upset that nothing is happening in his home Province of Chimbu. But it is such a remote way back Province which gets left behind most times. It is currently the only Highlands Region Province that doesn't have a Digicel Cup Team.
It's going to take a lot more than 5 years and starting some pathways now to suddenly have NRL ready players.

What about:

- Grounds
- Basic amenities, like running water at grounds/showers
- Training facilities
- Clothing/shoes
- Transport
- Officiating

This isn't Western Sydney or Gosford, it's one of the poorest nations on the planet.

Wb1234

Referee
Anyone here heard of the png hunters

been in the qld cup for around ten years

Ten of their players are In super league

lmao god there are some stupid people on here

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Hopefully the thousands of players who don't make it to the NRL level are given alternative pathways.

Because in the end that’s what it's meant to be about, give the majority who don't make it a better chance at prosperity.