What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Police harassed me: El Masri

ByRd

First Grade
Rugby League star Hazem El Masri has told National Nine News he was harassed by police as he sat in a cafe in Sydney's south west last night.

He claims he and his manager were picked on because of their appearance.
The Bulldogs player has now fired off a complaint to police commissioner Ken Moroney.

At 10.30pm on Thursday night El Masri was having coffee at a Regents Park cafe. He claimed he and his manager Adam Houda were asked for identification by the police.

"(The police) wanted us to give ID for no reason, we were willing to give an ID if there was a legitimate reason," he said.

El Masri said five cars and nine police were unnecessarily called to the cafe during the incident.
Mr Houda said the incident was "a shocking example of police abuse of power".

Source: Ninemsn.com http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=261078

We will probably hear more about this tomorrow but it is just a weird situation, like why would it happen, there has to be more to it, mistaken identity maybe, i dont know but all i know is El Masri doesnt deserve that.

ShineDog

Juniors
What is the problem...they have the right to ask the question...no big deal.
I love Hazem but build a bridge...

ouwet

Bench
ShineDog said:
What is the problem...they have the right to ask the question...no big deal.
I love Hazem but build a bridge...

El Masri has the right to ask for a reason... If they had a legitimate reason I'm sure he would have given it... Why should he give it for the sake of giving it? He was having coffee FFS not breaking a law... and to call so much back up??? Geez, it takes the police an hour to get to some emergencies but 5 minutes to come to the lebanese, Mediterranean Descendant or whatever having a coffee at a CAFE.

RABK

Referee
He's a good role model for the lebanese community but he's got it wrong this time. Police have the right to ask anyone they want to supply ID without needing a warrant or anything like that.

Pulling the racist card is plain wrong.

perverse

Referee
indeed.. what lawful motivation would anyone have for not providing ID to a cop? i mean you just open your wallet.. take it out.. give it to them.. and there is no issue. takes 5 seconds.

i've been asked for my ID on several occasions by uniforms and had no issues providing it.. i am a white australian.

-edit- i'm not having a dig at el masri saying he was up to no good.. i'm just saying it's pretty stupid to just deny a cop wanting to check your ID if you're doing nothing wrong. -/edit-

Red and Blue Knight said:
He's a good role model for the lebanese community but he's got it wrong this time. Police have the right to ask anyone they want to supply ID without needing a warrant or anything like that.

but when you refuse the police dont then need to go and call for back up.

El Masri said he was willing to show them ID if they had a reason , if they dont have a good reason he doesnt have to show ID.

We arent even required to have ID on us.

i think they need a reason to ask for ID, or at least hazem has the right to ask why, im not going to rush into anything yet im actually interested in what the police have to say

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Police have the right to ask anyone they want to supply ID without needing a warrant or anything like that.
They can ask, but in a case like this, they can't demand that you produce ID.

Unless people are now compelled to carry 'identity papers' around with them in NSW.

innsaneink

Referee
Opportunity knocks...methinks. Straight to Moroney.

Were they asked for a reason and provided none?
Or did they say, "we have no reason"

RABK

Referee
Willow said:
They can ask, but in a case like this, they can't demand that you produce ID.

Unless people are now compelled to carry 'identity papers' around with them in NSW.

I guess we'l lhave to wait and see what the details are. Seems like the police defiently went over the top if that's all that happened - backup for that?

As soon as a cop is physically or verbally threatened or abused you could expect a reaction like that, not if they refused to show ID though. Maybe a robbery happened near by involving men of 'middle eastern' apperance. Could be something simple like that.

there is a video about it on the ninemsn site,
hazems manager thinks its race related, and hazem thinks that because your in a blue shirt dosent give you the write to abuse your power

RABK

Referee
Just because you're of middle eastern decent doesn't give you the write to pull the race card.

ouwet

Bench
Just because you're of middle eastern decent doesn't give you the write to pull the race card.

No but that doesn't give the police the right to ask for your ID when you are just having a CAFE at the local sweets shop... There are so many serious crimes that go unsolved because of a lack of police resources, maybe they are in Bankstown asking everyone at CAFEs for ID???

perverse

Referee
I guess we'l lhave to wait and see what the details are. Seems like the police defiently went over the top if that's all that happened - backup for that?

As soon as a cop is physically or verbally threatened or abused you could expect a reaction like that, not if they refused to show ID though. Maybe a robbery happened near by involving men of 'middle eastern' apperance. Could be something simple like that.
lol i agree. it problem is something simple and harmless.

and if it is something like that.. what better way to celebrate a successful heist than with a nice quiet coffee at a nearby cafe... :lol:

NPK

Bench
I agree, but you mean descent.

kooriguy

Juniors
i myself have been harrased on numerous occasions for no aparent reason due to my racial apearence and i can understand how el masri feels because it absolutley guts you and makes one feel like a second rate citizen, he has every right to go to Morony i wish i had the kind of status to do so.. and this is no reflection on the nsw police force as a whole as i have many friends that are officers and the majority are very decent human beings doing a tough job.

ouwet

Bench
kooriguy said:
i myself have been harrased on numerous occasions for no aparent reason due to my racial apearence and i can understand how el masri feels because it absolutley guts you and makes one feel like a second rate citizen, he has every right to go to Morony i wish i had the kind of status to do so.. and this is no reflection on the nsw police force as a whole as i have many friends that are officers and the majority are very decent human beings doing a tough job.

Great post!!!

Game_Breaker

Coach

Not always

What if they ask for identification?
If police ask you for identification, generally you don't have to give them your details.

Not using your real name however can cause problems. It won't work against you to give police your real name. In fact, sometimes it may be a real advantage - eg, when trying to get bail.

You must give your real name to police if you are:
-driving a car;
-under 18 and drinking alcohol in a public place;
-suspected of being involved in or witnessing a serious crime;
-on public transport;
-involved in a car accident

Latest posts