What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Police harassed me: El Masri

drake

First Grade
I have seen the wonders of racial stereotyping by police many times; I have friends of both Indigenous Australian and middle Eastern descent, and both groups are subject to inquisition by police, regardless of what they are currently doing.

I don't associate with criminals at all, just honest aussie folks. Regardless of where their ancestors came from.

I can understand police asking a group of youths hanging around doing nothing for their ID, but grown men minding their own business? A touch draconian if you ask me.

innsaneink

Referee
VictorTheViking said:
That article leads one to think that there was no other reason, that and that the article says up to 9 officers attended, for two lebanese/australian men having a coffee, you do the math.........
So because el masri and houda say they think its racial, then you do too?

Guess what, everyone has a race.

Houda and el Masri didntsay WHY they thought it was racial, except for ....
He claims he and his manager were picked on because of their appearance
They can claim that, but they dont back it up with why they feel that.
...... the only point theyve really pushed is the cops didnt/wouldnt give a reason for asking for ID.

CharlieF

Juniors
It is also important to avoid confrontation with the police, as this may often work against you. Be realistic in the circumstances.

CharlieF

Juniors
Balmain Bug said:
The police have no legal right to ask for his I.D.

Nothing.

The police have the right to ask for your name and address if they believe ‘on reasonable grounds’ you are about to break or have broken the law. Therefore you should provide your name and address if asked. Refusing or giving an incorrect name and address is an offence.

What those reasonable grounds are, nobody has said, but your point about no legal right is completely wrong.

[furrycat]

Coach
Balmain Bug said:
The police have no legal right to ask for his I.D.

Nothing.

Here we go; the resident lawyer comes out of the woodwork.

The police have every right to ask a person for identification on the street and they do not in any way have to explain their reasoning for it to the person they are asking. If the police have reason to believe you have committed or will commit an offence, then they can ask you. Its like how stop and searches can occur... You have nfi what you're talking about and should do a little research before you start lying.

[furrycat]

Coach
and FTR, Hazem is silly for getting so huffy about this. All he had to do was show ID and that would be the end of it. The police acted appropriately and within their powers.

simon says

First Grade
I understand there is racism in our society.....and cops can be seen to be a big part of it.

But.....surely if you arent doing anything,and the cops wanna see some ID,then to aviod a hassle you just show them ur ID and they are on their way???

And.....pardon me if Im wrong,but didnt the same feller refuse a DNA sample after the kerfuffle at the shag hotel??

Just for the record.....Im an Anglo-Cletic male,no criminal record and Ive been pulled up by the cops a few times and asked for ID and the like.

Id prefer to think that coppers are more just wankers than racist.

[furrycat]

Coach
simon says said:
I understand there is racism in our society.....and cops can be seen to be a big part of it.

But.....surely if you arent doing anything,and the cops wanna see some ID,then to aviod a hassle you just show them ur ID and they are on their way???

And.....pardon me if Im wrong,but didnt the same feller refuse a DNA sample after the kerfuffle at the shag hotel??

Just for the record.....Im an Anglo-Cletic male,no criminal record and Ive been pulled up by the cops a few times and asked for ID and the like.

That is a religious choice and the police accepted that. He should have just complied... Its nothing personal Hazem.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
[furrycat] said:
The police have every right to ask a person for identification on the street

What happens if police ask for ID and you say, "I don't have any."

innsaneink

Referee
simon says said:

Bingo...and people wonder why others are saying theyre pulling the race card.

Thye havent said why they think its racial, they havent said "the cops called us l**o W**s et" yet theyre pissed atthe cops giving no reason.

[furrycat]

Coach
innsaneink said:
Bingo...and people wonder why others are saying theyre pulling the race card.

Thye havent said why they think its racial, they havent said "the cops called us l**o W**s et" yet theyre pissed atthe cops giving no reason.

For god sakes, you know dogs fans are being too precious and bias when ink is the one of the only people I am agreeing with here. What is it with some dogs fans inability to take off their blue and white glasses?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
[furrycat] said:
What is it with some dogs fans inability to take off their blue and white glasses?
Does your 'put a sock in it' include non-Bulldogs supporters too?

I thought it went a little beyond club loyalty.

[furrycat]

Coach
Willow said:
What happens if police ask for ID and you say, "I don't have any."

Entirely depends on the reason why they are asking for your identification. Can be as simple as just asking for details (which of course could easily be false...) or detaining you until your ID can be determined. But I believe it is at their discretion. Police have the authority to arrest, detain, search, collect information, and charge a person if they have reasonable cause to suspect that a person is committing, has committed or will commit an offence.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Yes, but if you're just minding your own business in a cafe, you don't have to produce ID if you can't, or don't want to. Correct furry?

[furrycat]

Coach
Willow said:
Does your 'put a sock in it' include non-Bulldogs supporters too?

I thought it went a little beyond club loyalty.

I'm sure it does; but with absolutely no one on this forum knowing the circumstances of what happened its a bit rich for anyone to say the police are at fault and they can't do this or that blah blah blah, especially when some are just making up information in regards to what the police can and cannot do.

[furrycat]

Coach
Willow said:
Yes, but if you're just minding your own business in a cafe, you don't have to produce ID if you can't, or don't want to. Correct furry?

If the police have reason to believe you have committed an offence contrary to the Commonwealth, are committing an offence, or about to commit an offence, then the police have the right to ask for ID and detain you if necessary. I'm sure you don't HAVE to show your ID, but it can lead the police in the wrong direction because you refuse to rule yourself out of the equation, and hence the police can take further action. The problem is we don't know what the reason was. As I said I've been detained and asked for ID when I matched the description of an offender who had the same jacket and shorts as me. I had done nothing wrong but I didn't whinge and complain; the victim saw me and said it wasn't me. Hazem and his manager could have matched the description of two people who just committed a crime, hence why two other men of m-eastern descent were questioned on a park bench outside the cafe.

drake

First Grade
Vhere are your papers! You vill com vis us now!

Race card or no... it's still scary that two law abiding citizens get bundled up by 9 police officers for not showing their identification.

Just tattoo everyone with a barcode, that'll fix the problem.

Latest posts