What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Police harassed me: El Masri

RABK

Referee
kooriguy said:
i myself have been harrased on numerous occasions for no aparent reason due to my racial apearence and i can understand how el masri feels because it absolutley guts you and makes one feel like a second rate citizen, he has every right to go to Morony i wish i had the kind of status to do so.. and this is no reflection on the nsw police force as a whole as i have many friends that are officers and the majority are very decent human beings doing a tough job.

Well said champ.

Red and Blue Knight said:
I guess we'l lhave to wait and see what the details are. Seems like the police defiently went over the top if that's all that happened - backup for that?

As soon as a cop is physically or verbally threatened or abused you could expect a reaction like that, not if they refused to show ID though. Maybe a robbery happened near by involving men of 'middle eastern' apperance. Could be something simple like that.

a robbery happens nearby and the guys that commit it go to the local cafe for a cappacino?

innsaneink

Referee
Lowdown said:
Surely the NSW police know who Hazem El Masri is? Surely...

Yeh, cause every cop is a league fan. :roll:

If cops are looking for someone of a particular appearanceand they see some fitting that description, they check out EVERYONE that fits that description whether theyre hiding up a tree or having a 'quiet cuppa'....they dont pick and choosedepending on what the suspects doing.

C.P

Juniors
Hopefully this will teach Hazem to not associate with Adam Houda.........

But in all seriousness, surely from the sounds of it the Police could of handled this a bit better. It will be interesting to see if we get to hear their reasons for it.

BF

Juniors
The right wing crowd from 4C will have a field day with this.... more proof that men of Middle Eastern Values dont value the Australian way... should we deport him?

Comon, Goangetfarked, Dirt Angle, Millers et al, lets see you dismiss this as a victimhood mentality.. proof in the pudding.

Yeh, cause every cop is a league fan.

9 cops.... you would think that at least 1 would have known.

He's a good role model for the lebanese community but he's got it wrong this time. Police have the right to ask anyone they want to supply ID without needing a warrant or anything like that.

Pulling the racist card is plain wrong.

How is pulling the racist card wrong? The bloke was sitting there having coffee ffs........

eagle rock

Juniors
How can it be seen as racially motivated....he's in Regents Park...if El Masri was white-anglo then you could pull the race card out.

Angry_eel

First Grade
but at a cafe sounds weird tbh. i mean common, how many times have u been asked to show ur id at a restaurent or a cafe.

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
What complete and utter bullsh*t.

Not racially motivated? How many white people here have ever been sitting around enjoying a coffee when the police have come up and asked for ID. Of COURSE it's racially motivated.

How sad for Australia that this kind of thing is happening, and how wonderful that people like El Masri have the guts to stand up for their rights.

innsaneink said:
What makes YOU think its racial, victor?

That article leads one to think that there was no other reason, that and that the article says up to 9 officers attended, for two lebanese/australian men having a coffee, you do the math.........

CharlieF

Juniors
If you have nothing to hide, then you need not worry.

You may not need to show ID when asked, but I think they have the power to detain you until your ID is determined. The choice is up to El Masri. The police don't have one. If anyone broke the law, it was El Masri and Houda for not showing ID.

These are the rules:

The police have the right to ask for your name and address if they believe ‘on reasonable grounds’ you are about to break or have broken the law. Therefore you should provide your name and address if asked. Refusing or giving an incorrect name and address is an offence.

If police want you to go with them for questioning, you can refuse unless they are arresting you.

magpie_man

Juniors
If I was sitting in a cafe with a mate having a quiet latte' and some cops walked in and demanded my ID, I'd do the same thing.

He's a good role model for the lebanese community but he's got it wrong this time. Police have the right to ask anyone they want to supply ID without needing a warrant or anything like that.

Pulling the racist card is plain wrong.

Agree...now we will have youths pulling this stunt every day...

Mark_S

Juniors
magpie_man said:
If I was sitting in a cafe with a mate having a quiet latte' and some cops walked in and demanded my ID, I'd do the same thing.

Yeah and so would I, more so if they had some attitude.

I dont believe that El Masri would complain without a reason. I dont know the guy but he seems like a nice enough bloke and a good role model for the community.

Martli

Coach
Cop #1: Hey, Cop #2, you reckon that's Hazem El Masri??

Cop #2: Nah, can't be, Hazem wouldn't drink coffee there...

Cop #1: Nah man, I reckon it's him!

Cop #2: Trust me, it isn't...

Cop #1: $100 says it's him

Cop #2: You're on...

Cop #2: Excuse me sir, we're going to have to see some ID....

On a serious note, i've been asked for ID by cops before, however I was an 18 year old in a pub and they wanted to make sure we were old enough. Somehow I don't think that would be a problem for Hazem....

Latest posts