What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Politis vs Crowe

Minh

First Grade
Roosters vs Souths, I feel these two teams have some genuine bad blood ever since the infamous Russell Crowe thumbs up, thumbs down gladiator style gesture against the Roosters in their big win a few years ago. Two big egos going up against one another, arguably Politis has had the wood on Crowe, he pulls more strings with his wealth and have the premierships to back it up.

Souths are favorites for this game but I can't split them. I feel if Souths fail/choke again this time around in a relatively unpredictable and weak 2014 season, that premiership window might close and fast. Crowe seems to put a lot of pressure on his team by drawing so much attention to himself, he seems to love it to be known that he is the man at Souths, whilst Politis is powerful in the back ground and he is no sideshow freak. It'll be interesting watch, just to see who is the more powerful private owner and who get's bragging rights in the biggest game so far this year.

saint.nick

Coach
And apart from just going to games, I don't know what attention he's brought on himself this year

bottle

Coach
And fourthly, it's Crowe vs Politis/Gyngell/Bouros et al.
They are a powerful and well connected bunch of f**kers.
Powerful, and evil.
Uncle Nick is the el primo, but he has some corporate muscle behind him to back him up.
We have crownie Pete and the real estate guru from Shellharbour.

TruSaint

Referee
Politis is a very astute biz man. As mentioned he is connected, wealthy and usually gets what he wants.
Rusty, is well... Hollywood. Loves his bunnies, attracts some key players.
I honestly believe if the Bunnies don't win it this year, it will be a long wait.
Manly / Melbourne out.
Their hurdle is this week.

Minh

First Grade
In fairness Souths owe a lot to Rusty, they really do. Firstly bringing them back into the comp and attracting good players- nobody used to want to play for them and they were losing all their good juniors. He's still in my mind a big show off, but he can back it up with his hollywood status.

Minh

First Grade
Politis is a very astute biz man. As mentioned he is connected, wealthy and usually gets what he wants.
Rusty, is well... Hollywood. Loves his bunnies, attracts some key players.
I honestly believe if the Bunnies don't win it this year, it will be a long wait.
Manly / Melbourne out.
Their hurdle is this week.

I honestly think that if Souths don't win this year or next, Rusty might bail out. There is no doubt he loves his bunnies and there are plenty of Souths supporters who have stuck by their team that deserve the win if they can get it.

TruSaint

Referee
I honestly think that if Souths don't win this year or next, Rusty might bail out. There is no doubt he loves his bunnies and there are plenty of Souths supporters who have stuck by their team that deserve the win if they can get it.

Yeah Minh, he loves his footy club.
He does need to win it now though.
I get an ugly feeling the Chooks will go back to back.

Minh

First Grade
Yeah Minh, he loves his footy club.
He does need to win it now though.
I get an ugly feeling the Chooks will go back to back.

It has that kind of feel about it, they scrape in an ugly win and may end up winning back to back with their "always under the cap" roster.:p

Minh

First Grade
I know Saint Nick you are barracking for the bunnies I believe because of your old man and what he must go through especially the last couple of years. It's for this reason I would be alright with a Souths win as it will make a lot of people like your dad happy. I remember watching my first Saints premiership it was almost surreal.

saint.nick

Coach
At the end of the day he's still just happy to see them be relevant again. The nerves used to be about just qualifying for the finals; now it's about a premiership, so things have definitely progressed, but so have standards.

Politis may be powerful, but when you're up against Russell Crowe, it's a bit of a mismatch in my opinion. Politis is a successful car salesman; Russell Crowe is a blockbuster Hollywood star with an Academy Award. I'm not dissing what Politis does at all, he's very successful at what he does, but who do you think is obviously more influential? A global celebrity of a successful local entrepreneur?

Politis has been in the game for over 25 years while Russell has been involved for less than a decade, so he's had a lot more time for success, and has an advantage in experience. However, Russell has elevated Souths relatively quickly in his time at the club. They were at the pits when he took over around 05/06, now they're one of the best run, and most attractive clubs in the league. Alex Johnston, who was chased hard by Easts, chose to stay at South Sydney, but said that Easts would always be the club he would leave to. Could you imagine that maybe 5 years ago? No way.

Last edited:

TruSaint

Referee
At the end of the day he's still just happy to see them be relevant again. The nerves used to be about just qualifying for the finals; now it's about a premiership, so things have definitely progressed, but so have standards.

Politis may be powerful, but when you're up against Russell Crowe, it's a bit of a mismatch in my opinion. Politis is a successful car salesman; Russell Crowe is a blockbuster Hollywood star with an Academy Award. I'm not dissing what Politis does at all, he's very successful at what he does, but who do you think is obviously more influential? A global celebrity of a successful local entrepreneur?

Politis has been in the game for over 25 years while Russell has been involved for less than a decade, so he's had a lot more time for success, and has an advantage in experience. However, Russell has elevated Souths relatively quickly in his time at the club. They were at the pits when he took over around 05/06, now they're one of the best run, and most attractive clubs in the league. Alex Johnston, who was chased hard by Easts, chose to stay at South Sydney, but said that Easts would always be the club he would leave to. Could you imagine that maybe 5 years ago? No way.

Rarely disagree with you mate.
But I do now.
Rusty picked up the club for a basement price. He loves the club. Agreed
The Piggins era with Mr Pappas and co, brought this club back to existence.
Do they have pulling power, yes.
PS, Politis does much more than sell cars champ.
Its less than 30% of his business revenue.

Highland Saint

Juniors
But I do now.

I heard they were looking at forking out $100 million for this little project

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...erley-bowls-site/story-fngr8h22-1227063009248

Meanwhile at the Taj its Blues & Soul night...

Politis does ok

Minh

First Grade
If Saints had either one of these two Politis or Crowe, we'd be an absolute powerhouse and a chance to catch Souths' 20 premierships.

saint.nick

Coach
But I do now.

Piggins did bring the club back, but hey may not have been the man that was going to elevate them to where they are now, at least in the short time frame that Rusty has.

Just out of curiosity, where does Politis source most of his income from?

I think we should wait another 5-10 years or so before we can really compare Rusty and Nick in regards to influencing their club's success.

bottle

Coach
Mate I think the verdict is already in in that regard. Politis has been associated with the Rorters for about 40 years in one way or another, from sponsor to CEO. He has stood the test of time. They have won 2 premierships under his stewardship as CEO. They have had multiple GF appearances, and are a regular finals performer. Waiting another 5-10 years won't change any of that.

BTW Politis is worth an estimated $200 million in personal wealth, Crow around $65-$75 million.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Mate I think the verdict is already in in that regard. Politis has been associated with the Rorters for about 40 years in one way or another, from sponsor to CEO. He has stood the test of time. They have won 2 premierships under his stewardship as CEO. They have had multiple GF appearances, and are a regular finals performer. Waiting another 5-10 years won't change any of that.

BTW Politis is worth an estimated $200 million in personal wealth, Crowe around $65-$75 million.

Really, I don't think we'll ever even remotely know how much money these people have, especially someone like Politis. At least with Crowe, we're given some rough figures on the IMDB website.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000128/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

Anyway you look at it, it's just silly money :crazy:

saint.nick

Coach

BTW Politis is worth an estimated $200 million in personal wealth, Crow around $65-$75 million.

Yeah but this is about 'who's the better operator'. We need to compare them once Russell Crowe has been in the game just as long as he has.

souths_pride

Juniors

Your spot on about Nick Politis. He's arguably the most valuable asset the Roosters have! The guy is a shrewd operator and he virtually gets whatever he wants in terms of bringing people to the club. The reason for this is that he does these 'handshake deals' with people and honors them. As a result, managers, players and people in general love doing business with him. I've heard from a reliable source that what he does is say to players "sign on for this amount of money and when your contract is up, we'll play you X amount of dollars". So I suppose despite his business acumen, his best asset is that hes a man of his word.