What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

POLL: 2010 People's Choice Article Of The Year

Which article is, in your opinion, most deserving of the 2010 People's Choice Award?

• Bubbles: "A Life In Contrast"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Drew-Sta: "Fog Of War"

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • dubopov: "You Don't Have To Be Einstein"

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • gorilla: "Slap, Slap, Slap"

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Jesbass: "He Tangata"

• LeagueNut: "Crazy"

• madunit: "Theo"

• Marshall_magic: "The Tigers' Nine Lives"

• murphyscreek: "The Flag"

• Phantom Eel: "All Good Things..."

• rayroxon: "Victim"

• RHCP: "Nightmare On Castlemaine Street"

• The Piper: "National Rugby League Bar And Grill: Footy Food"

• tits&tans: "Mathematical Musings"

• Willow: "League-a-lising Rugby Union"

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dubopov

Coach
Can someone provide me with the copy of the rules which state that a Captain can't be the Team MVP ??

Jesbass

First Grade
Can someone provide me with the copy of the rules which state that a Captain can't be the Team MVP ??

Hi dubopov. I'm not sure that there's a rule per se, but I'd say it's viewed as poor form. I understand that captains have been nominated in the past, and I think each time it has been declined as something not really in the spirit of the game.

I guess if I was pressed to go to the rules, I'd quote this:
What we mean by 'sportsmanship' and 'playing the game in the spirit it was intended'
Congratulating the other team, thanking the referee are not mandatory but it happens a lot in the F7s and is part of the spirit of the game. Everyone enjoys winning but this is not a 'win at all costs' competition.
'Playing the game in the spirit it was intended' means that we want to see everyone have a go and come away thinking they were part of something.
Examples of sportsmanship include players from opposing teams helping each other out with advice and not wanting to see a team lose a match for a minor mistake.
As mentioned, none of this mandatory but it has happened often and is all part of the true spirit of the game.

I've always viewed captaincy as an honour all of its own - the opportunity to fearlessly lead your writing comrades into battle. One of the associated responsibilities of the captaincy is to grant a fellow teammate an MVP award. Essentially, it's a way for a captain to reward one of his or her charges for diggin really deep throughout the season.

If you're having difficulty deciding, there are different approaches to it. In my first year of captaincy, I split the award between two players - one was to my vice captain because he'd written brilliantly all year and had provided me with great backup, and the other was to someone whose willingness to take another hitup at short notice was so admirable that it couldn't be ignored, even though her marks weren't quite as high as those of some other players.

Hopefully that helps you to decide on a teammate worthy of the award. :thumn

Last edited:

dubopov

Coach
What we mean by 'sportsmanship' and 'playing the game in the spirit it was intended'
Congratulating the other team, thanking the referee are not mandatory but it happens a lot in the F7s and is part of the spirit of the game. Everyone enjoys winning but this is not a 'win at all costs' competition.
'Playing the game in the spirit it was intended' means that we want to see everyone have a go and come away thinking they were part of something.
Examples of sportsmanship include players from opposing teams helping each other out with advice and not wanting to see a team lose a match for a minor mistake.
As mentioned, none of this mandatory but it has happened often and is all part of the true spirit of the game.

LOL .. check the semis for fair play for minor mistake .. and, if this is not a "win-at-all-costs" comp, why are there so many people doing their best to shaft players and organize scores ??

gorilla

First Grade

LOL .. check the semis for fair play for minor mistake .. and, if this is not a "win-at-all-costs" comp, why are there so many people doing their best to shaft players and organize scores ??

Umm, Dragons' game ?

Jesbass

First Grade

I'm assuming you're talking about the Titans -V- Dragons match where a Dragons player had his piece disqualified for editing it after full time? With all due respect, that's not a minor mistake considering the penalties associated with such an action.

After full-time, it is 'pens down'. Players must not edit their articles and no further articles are allowed.

Having said that, I don't think this is the thread for such a discussion. (Nor do I think I should even be involved - I was just trying to offer helpful advice in response to your question.)

I don't even know what to make of your latter comment.

Titanic

First Grade
obviously .. mind you, there was also another semi where a disgruntled capt of a team pm'ed me with predictions of refs scores which eventuated ..

Not to be one branded as one who shafts in secrecy that sounds like me :) although that could well be interpreted as having a crystal ball as compared to having balls of crystal.

Gee guys it's the off season and not the season to be off. Oh, I forgot ... happy New Year all of you and JB don't forget to kiss the bub and pat the missus ... I hope it's all sweet that side of the ditch.

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It's goes against convention for a captain to name himself as MVP.

You can't give awards to yourself. Think about it.

I don't wish to go back through old posts to find it, but this was discussed sometime ago. It was always accepted that the captain had the responsibility to choose a player from their team, other than themselves. It is ultimately an encouragement to a team player other than the captain.

The captain already has the honour of being captain.

Plus there are a whole bag of other awards. I understand that you have already been nominated for one of the most prestigious awards dubopov.

If you want to change the way it has always been done, then I suggest you bring it up after the awards. That would be the sporting thing to do.

dubopov

Coach
of course, you'e right .. how stupid of me to question the powers that be in the "fun" comp ...

Willow

Assistant Moderator
That'd be your notoriously wicked sense of humour coming out to play.

Trying to give yourself an award. :lol:

Fair dinkum mate.

dubopov

Coach
That'd be your notoriously wicked sense of humour coming out to play.

Trying to give yourself an award. :lol:

Fair dinkum mate.

I still maintain that the highest scorer for a team should be the MVP - or is that too difficult for your superior intellect to comprehend ??

additionally, I don't have a posse of lackeys designated as refs to organize the attainment of awards and premierships on my behalf ..

dubopov

Coach
... and as a point of interest, why have you not even bothered to reply to my two latest posts volunteering to be a Ref ?? My first of three requests was knocked back because I had apparently not written enough stories but other guys with less experience have been given the gig.

gorilla

First Grade
A Captain's choice should always be exactly that, and one choosing oneself is, potentially, a disregard of a Captain's responsibility towards their team.

dubopov

Coach
A Captain's choice should always be exactly that, and one choosing oneself is, potentially, a disregard of a Captain's responsibility towards their team.

.. so it's not an MVP award ?? It's the Captain's Choice Award ..

Willow

Assistant Moderator
.. sorry about all accusations, i hereby retract everything i said ..
OK.

As for the reffing, I don't decide that. I only took it on for the F7s 4 Nations because no one else was there to do it.

I can't recall you asking me before, but I get asked lots of stuff. If you did, I would have referred you to Pistol. Unfortunately Pistol stopped officiating halfway through the year and the decision as to who is the ref boss was up in the air.

At this stage, Non Terminator and Jesbass are trying to keep the F7s afloat so you better ask them.

I'm sure you would do a fine job.

Cheers.

Titanic

First Grade
in the "fun" comp

Was it really that long ago that essays were handed out as detention and "fun" was heading down to the local park for a game of touch? How times have changed... what goes around comes around.

Sorry I missed all the debate. While it is a fair call to say that we are all here voluntarily... [now let's move to committee thread for further discussion regarding what we can do to strengthen the competition]

Jesbass

First Grade
Oh, I forgot ... happy New Year all of you and JB don't forget to kiss the bub and pat the missus ... I hope it's all sweet that side of the ditch.

With all the excitement of this thread, I missed your edit.

Cheers, mate. Things are gravy over here. Caitlin is coming up to 8 months old and last night I finally got to see her roll onto her front! (I say 'finally', because she'd done it at least a dozen times before, usually when I left the room or just as I got distracted by an email! :lol:)

She really is an amazing wee thing and I'm incredibly blessed to have her, especially after the bumpy road getting here. She's got so much personality - a really cheeky one! But she's a looker, too, so I'm polishing the barrel of my shotgun in preparation. :cool: