What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ponga Appreciation Thread.

Jono078

Referee
Thats the issue....

Off contract halves in 2022

Keiran Foran
Cooper Johns
Kodi Nikorima
Sam Williams
Ash Taylor
Lachlan Lam
Jock Madden

Yuck
Tell you what else is the issue.. Who's our halfback in reserves?

Very dire times.

Wonder if George Williams is missing Australia? I reckon he'd love Newcastle a little more than Canberra!

Last edited:

Old dog

Juniors
We have no half back coming through in lower grades.
Crossland has being played elsewhere but not 7, realistically is Madden better than him and is Madden better than Clune. We have Clune for next season, Crossland likely gone what we need is an upgrade, not a bit but a lot on Clune

Jono078

Referee
This isn't so much a shot at Ponga as it possibly is coaching, but can anyone tell me what KP achieves on plays like this? Offside from the get go then always in front of the ball. So basically the opposition know he's out of play and no threat.

1651480353391.gif

perverse

Referee
This isn't so much a shot at Ponga as it possibly is coaching, but can anyone tell me what KP achieves on plays like this? Offside from the get go then always in front of the ball. So basically the opposition know he's out of play and no threat.

View attachment 61018
He's putting himself in position to back up in the middle from what I can see - which is why he jots his leg back "onside" at the PTB. Whether he actually got back is another story, and you can probably make the argument he was lazy to not take a place in our shape before moving up too. I'd have to see what happened the previous tackle to see how he ended up there.

Jono078

Referee
I get what you're saying but I feel he can be a much bigger threat just by positioning himself differently. He seems to put himself in positions to back up a play when it's never on.

This is the previous play if you care to watch.

Apparently AOB is discussing with Ponga about moving to the halves, according to NRL 360.

perverse

Referee
I get what you're saying but I feel he can be a much bigger threat just by positioning himself differently. He seems to put himself in positions to back up a play when it's never on.

This is the previous play if you care to watch.

Apparently AOB is discussing with Ponga about moving to the halves, according to NRL 360.
Yep so play to play there he's pushing up through the middle to support a potential break on the left.

betcats

Referee
Watching those vids i think that is coaching, pushing through the middle to support breaks is typical fullback play. The problem for Ponga he really should be making or creating the breaks more often than anyone else in the side. Watching you guys this year he just is spending way to much time hanging around the ruck and the middle third looking to be a support player on breaks or half breaks, I really think that is coaching. There needs to be a balance between him being there in support and him getting the ball in good attacking situations with time and space so he can create the breaks.

Yosh

Coach
Watching those vids i think that is coaching, pushing through the middle to support breaks is typical fullback play. The problem for Ponga he really should be making or creating the breaks more often than anyone else in the side. Watching you guys this year he just is spending way to much time hanging around the ruck and the middle third looking to be a support player on breaks or half breaks, I really think that is coaching. There needs to be a balance between him being there in support and him getting the ball in good attacking situations with time and space so he can create the breaks.
Ponga should be creating the breaks. We have nimble players in 13 now (Mann, Crossland, Sasagi) and they should be the ones backing up and always sniffing around for an offload.

Sir Galahad

Juniors
Ponga should be creating the breaks. We have nimble players in 13 now
I was getting excited

(Mann, Crossland, Sasagi) and they should be the ones backing up and always sniffing around for an offload.
then I read this. Lost me at Mann unfortunately.

Imagine if it was Cam Murray, Victor Radley, or the like........nope we just dont have the cattle

Burwood

Bench
He really needs to move to the halves. I struggle to think of a single thing that he contributes as a fullback that he can’t do as a 6.

Latest posts