What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ponga Appreciation Thread.

Nuke

Staff member
His last few seasons have been so injury hampered I’m genuinely not sure at the moment if it’s a Ponga issue, a coaching issue, or a lack of continuity. Probably a combination.
I think it's a combination of all those points, plus other teams knowing how he plays now. They've worked him out.

Knight Tales

Juniors
It is complete mess of our own doing. There is a lot more to play out in the saga of Kalyn Ponga. Could be very drawn out and expensive if he is not going to recover.

Last edited:

Knight76

Juniors
They're professionals, they should have big games every week.

Alas, they play for the newcastle knights so that is not a prerequisite for being selected.

Exactly, is it too much to ask that they do their job to the best of their ability? Show some motivation and will to succeed?

This team is like watching an NRL team with depression. Could be something but the motivation just isn't there to want to bother.

Exactly, is it too much to ask that they do their job to the best of their ability? Show some motivation and will to succeed?

This team is like watching an NRL team with depression. Could be something but the motivation just isn't there to want to bother.
This team certainly knows how to give their fans depression

Yosh

Coach
Hypothetical:

If Ponga was the one that demanded the fullback position back after the QLD snub, does that make him more likable or do we hate him for it?

Zoidberg

First Grade
Hypothetical:

If Ponga was the one that demanded the fullback position back after the QLD snub, does that make him more likable or do we hate him for it?
I was thinking the same thing. Is it a case of dropping Miller or Ponga thinks he has more chance for an origin recall playing at fullback.
If it works out, I honestly don’t care the reason.

Haffa

Hypothetical:

At least it's an indication that he can be motivated by something. He comes across as the kind of player coaches exhaust every trick to motivate and can't figure out the best approach.

Yosh

Coach
Is Reece Walsh the best thing to happen for the Newcastle Knights? Ponga might play like a god week in week out and still won't get the jersey back from Walsh this year. Surely at least this must motivate Ponga.

Woody90

Juniors
I honestly don’t think Ponga cares about being dropped by QLD nearly as much as the media do. 2 months ago he was looking down the barrel of retirement and he doesn’t really need to prove himself anymore at that level. I think everyone is surprised he’s on the field at the moment let alone Origin.

Gags is the one I could see being quite devastated.

perverse

Referee
I honestly don’t think Ponga cares about being dropped by QLD nearly as much as the media do. 2 months ago he was looking down the barrel of retirement and he doesn’t really need to prove himself anymore at that level. I think everyone is surprised he’s on the field at the moment let alone Origin.

Gags is the one I could see being quite devastated.
Kalyn isn't stupid. I'm sure he's chatted with Billy and it's plain and simple that he keeps getting dazed and stunned on the field. In Origin he'd get his head taken clean off at the moment. I think they've both been pretty upfront about what Kalyn needs in the short-mid term. He just needs to play footy and get through it.

I honestly think Kalyn has had a number of wake-up calls in the past 12 months and you've been able to see it on the field in that time when he's been capable too. Even his horror first game at 6 wasn't from a lack of effort, it was a bloke who hasn't spent his childhood tackling and developing defensive instincts running out at NRL level and just getting lost with it.

He's still not a captain, but I do think he's growing as a person. People laughed at him (and rightly so) when he miscounted the tackle count a few weeks ago - but how many times have we seen him give a teammate a serve for f**king things up? I thought it was a good sign tbh. Looks like he actually gives a shit.

Woody90

Juniors
He should have done it before game 1 was picked but still good that he did. He probably wouldn’t have gotten picked anyway unless a Reece Walsh injury or complete QLD capitulation in game 2 but stranger things have happened and they’ve brought him into the end of series before.

Last edited: