What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ponting wants ODI schedule halved

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Ponting wants ODI schedule halved
Cricinfo staff
February 22, 2010
Text size: A | A

Sunday's Twenty20 at Bellerive Oval was a sell-out but crowds at the ODIs around the country were disappointing © Getty Images

Ricky Ponting has expanded on his thoughts about the number of ODIs in Australia each year and believes Cricket Australia should cut the schedule by half. The ten one-day internationals that Australia played this summer drifted into mid February, when school had started again, and spectator numbers dwindled as the series went on.

"With the 2015 World Cup being in Australia, Cricket Australia has to look after the one-day game the best they can and promote it the best they can," Ponting told the Australian. "The 50-over World Cup is still the pinnacle of the shortened game, there's no doubt about that, but does that mean you have to play ten one-day internationals a summer or could you get by playing five? I don't think that would make a great deal of difference."

That would mean no more than one ODI in each of the five biggest capitals, with a couple of Twenty20s thrown in as well. However, Cricket Australia have already released the fixture list for next season and it again features ten one-day internationals, including seven against England after the Ashes.

But there are also three early in the summer against Sri Lanka. Ponting said by playing ODIs before the Big Bash, which runs over the Christmas-New Year period and is set to expand significantly, there would be more hope of attracting bigger crowds to watch the Australians play.

"I think if we'd played the international games before the Big Bash, we would have had better crowds at the international games," he said. "People have only got a certain amount of money to spend on entertainment. With the Big Bash games, there were two in Melbourne this year, so when the one-day games came to Melbourne, people had probably already spent their money on the Big Bash.

"If you talk to people at Channel Nine, the same amount of people are still watching the game. There's still a strong interest in 50-over cricket but with the Big Bash being on during school holidays, people were always going to go and watch that. Playing 10 one-day internationals, as well, by the end of the summer, I think people were over cricket."

http://www.cricinfo.com/ausvwi09/content/story/449518.html

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I'm with Punter on this, the crowds are voting with their feet.

I suppose the Windies being crap didn't help.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Here is one I prepared earlier
How future summers should occur
3 match ODI series v Tourists 1
ADL - NOV 31
PER - DEC 2
HBA - NOV 6

3 match test series v Tourists 1
BNE - DEC 10 - 14
MEL - DEC 26 - 30
SYD - JAN 2 - 6

7 match Twenty/20 tri series tournament V
Tourists 1 and Tourist 2

AUS V Tourist 1
AUS v Tourist 2
__________SYD
2 Games same day - JAN 10
Tourist 1 v Tourist 2
Tourist 1 v AUS
__________BNE
2 Games same day - JAN 12
Tourist 2 V Tourist 1
Tourist 2 V AUS
__________PER
2 Games same day - JAN 14
Final
__________MEL JAN 16

3 match ODI series v Tourists 2
BNE - JAN 18
SYD - JAN 19
MEL - JAN 21

3 match test series v Tourists 2
ADL - JAN 26 - 30
PER - FEB 8 - 12
HBA - FEB 14 - 16

Forty days of Cricket

For the cricketer
40 days of work over 3 months, ODIs to tests, twenty/20s, ODIs to tests.

For the Admin and TV
40 days of crowds and ratings over 3 months, no dead days, AUS always plays.

Early NOV needs to have the full squad (All AUS players) should be available for two games of Shield and one game of Ranger Cup before first squad is announced.

NB Some dates will change marginally each years to co-inside with weekends.
http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=315253

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I think 2 T/20 games in one day would be a good draw card, still only 4-5 hours of cricket.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I think it pends on who we play, 5 ODIs vs poms, SA, India. The rest play 3 ODI's

play a 3 x T20 series vs every nation, its the way its heading

7 vs Poms next year, be interesting to see crowd figures, I know Ill be going to a couple of them

Matt23

Staff member
The Poms will get fans through the gates for all 3 forms imo, and the summer after India are touring?

houdini1

Juniors
The administrators have made a huge mistake in letting the season linger towards the end of February. What kids are going to go to an ODI in the middle of a school term, particularly as most DN matches finish around 10pm, with the commute home it is usually midnight before they get home (particularly in Sydney)

Options administrators need to consider:

1. They need to finish the season by the end of January
2. Schedule more day games
3. Ticket pricing is excessive.
4. For ODI's why don't they trial selling tickets for sessions??

Logistics is an issue with most of these ideas but surely there is a way around this.

Johns Magic

Referee
The administrators have made a huge mistake in letting the season linger towards the end of February. What kids are going to go to an ODI in the middle of a school term, particularly as most DN matches finish around 10pm, with the commute home it is usually midnight before they get home (particularly in Sydney)

Options administrators need to consider:

1. They need to finish the season by the end of January
2. Schedule more day games
3. Ticket pricing is excessive.
4. For ODI's why don't they trial selling tickets for sessions??

Logistics is an issue with most of these ideas but surely there is a way around this.

Agreed with your whole post but how could they possibly police that 4th point? What would stop someone from buying a first innings ticket and just staying all game?

fish eel

Immortal
Agreed with your whole post but how could they possibly police that 4th point? What would stop someone from buying a first innings ticket and just staying all game?

the only way it coulod work is if on a d/n, they sold 'evening session' tickets, enabling someone say, to go after work and only pay for half a game.

houdini1

Juniors
Johns Magic, I agree policing would be difficult hence why I mentioned logistics is an issue. The Australian Open Tennis sells day and night sessions but in a much smaller stadium.