What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Positions

Meanhfish

Juniors
I would not be surprised to see Fitz adopt a Melbourne style with McGuiness play hooker for the first 20 then Brailey come on and McGuiness move to Lock.
I like the idea of “no positions” in defence you are just assigned a player to mark and your role is to find him and tackle him every time he gets the ball but in attack it will completely upset the oppositions structure, Turbo did that in Origin 1 to great success, the game needs a team to take it to the next level and maybe that’s it.

Tiger Shark

Bench
I would not be surprised to see Fitz adopt a Melbourne style with McGuiness play hooker for the first 20 then Brailey come on and McGuiness move to Lock.
I like the idea of “no positions” in defence you are just assigned a player to mark and your role is to find him and tackle him every time he gets the ball but in attack it will completely upset the oppositions structure, Turbo did that in Origin 1 to great success, the game needs a team to take it to the next level and maybe that’s it.
McInnes - we're in trouble if it's a McGuiness

but yes I think that's a very plausible and excellent idea. You could still run another utility (Watson, Tracey, Maloney on the bench too)

Alternatively Brailey may start at 9 and McInnes will give him a spell and they can bring on a middle forward.

R-15-3

Juniors
100% Braily will spend the opening 20 on the bench. McInnes starting then move to lock for the remainder of the game.
Id love us to use that starting 20 lock as one of our big impact props like Hunt, pele. Very low min high intensity then they can spend 90% of the remaining game on the bench for a short impact to finish the game if needed.

Agree with all this Tom except I wouldn’t be rushing to make a 5/8 out of WK. I do think that a lot of these young guys will thrive under a coach with the smarts (which I think Fitz is)
I wouldn't move Will from the fullback position, just saying he has the ability to make a good 5/8. I also recognise that our up and coming players will do much better under a new and real coach.

Trindall has played 7 games in the halves in his career. Of course he isn't steering a top 4 team around the park yet.

He has had very poor forward performances to work off. He can definitely engage the line much better but surely that can be coached.

At this point in his career, he could reasonably be expected to make his tackles and kick well. He is defending quite well. Kicking game in general play has work to do. Goal kicking at 85%+.

It would have been great to have him play with Moylan at 6 to take creative pressure off. Unfortunately, Moylan can't get on the field.

Get 35 games into Trindall then judge. Writing him off now in this cluster of a team is madness.

He is also 22 years old with 21 first grade games behind a badly dominated forward pack. He was in and out of the team, playing dummy half etc for at least ten of those.

I would be more than happy to see how he goes as the starter and a guy has the backing of the coach. Next season he starts off confident and after training the entire off season as the starter we will see a different guy. Confident and more sure of himself
early observations sure.
I've seen enough to say he's not going to be a top 4 half back.
I'll hang my hat on it.

Weaponhead

Coach
early observations sure.
I'll hang my hat on it.
Odds are that you will be right. Very few who come into the NRL will ever be a top 4 halfback.

I don't know if he has what it takes. So much of it comes down to intangibles like handling pressure and dedication.

I think he has a good toolkit in terms of passing range, kicking, defence but he seems a bit rushed at this point. If he does make it, that will be a massive bonus. If not, we will have to go to market.

Odds are that you will be right. Very few who come into the NRL will ever be a top 4 halfback.

I don't know if he has what it takes. So much of it comes down to intangibles like handling pressure and dedication.

I think he has a good toolkit in terms of passing range, kicking, defence but he seems a bit rushed at this point. If he does make it, that will be a massive bonus. If not, we will have to go to market.
I agree with that.
I just see some early signs of coasting a bit.
you get an opportunity.. tear it apart like a dog with bone.
get on the ball and bark the orders.
push the team around.
early days and we will see.
hope he proves me wrong.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
early observations sure.
I'll hang my hat on it.
Thing is we’re not a top 4 side atm…. Barely a top 8 side. I think it would be better to judge Tricky next year when we are at least closer to a top 4 side. Remember we’re shedding almost 4 million of dead wood this year… in fact half of them are already gone. I’m as confident with Tricky coming good as I was with WK last year.

snout

First Grade
Thing is we’re not a top 4 side atm…. Barely a top 8 side. I think it would be better to judge Tricky next year when we are at least closer to a top 4 side. Remember we’re shedding almost 4 million of dead wood this year… in fact half of them are already gone. I’m as confident with Tricky coming good as I was with WK last year.
4 million of dead wood.
Ha...something that statement

Stake Removed

First Grade
We have shed extra money this year not thought of, Chad goes early.
SJ as well.
All this helps, what is situation with Dugan is he still getting paid ??

shaggs

Coach
We have shed extra money this year not thought of, Chad goes early.
SJ as well.
All this helps, what is situation with Dugan is he still getting paid ??
Maybe they are front loading everything they can. Pay all the upgrades now and keep it out of next years cap

bluefox68

Staff member
I like the idea of “no positions” in defence you are just assigned a player to mark and your role is to find him and tackle him every time he gets the ball
I think I know what you’re getting at, but this simply does not work in either touch football, Oz-Tag, league or union.

From the very first day of under-6s training, players are taught to defend as a line.

You simply cannot be assigned a player - you will get carved up in seconds.

snout

First Grade
I don't think he's serious.

Methinks meanhfish is someone taking the pizz.

Is Quiksilvers holiday over?
He offered up the same shite.

I'm going QS.

Frenzy.

Immortal

Oh, I see. Man on man, like basketball huh? Who gets assigned Trbojevic? Tedesco? Kennedy?

This is a pisstake

bluefox68

Staff member
Don’t worry, meanfish…

They’re piranhas in here.

One mistake and it’s down to the bone.

Re-group and try again!