What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Positives vs. Negatives of Joey's Shock Retirement

Yosh

Coach
Well title is pretty much self explanatory....

I'll start:

Positives:
-maybe a wake up call for every player of the club to start performing to their best ability
-gives players like Mullen and Kidley the right to shine week in week out
-Joey giving coaching lessons to players now as a coach not the captain

Negatives
-just lost the best player in the game, no matter how you put it its bad

What do you guys think?

roopy

Referee
Positives;
We know where we stand.
We have an enormous amount of salary cap to spend for the first time in years.
We have basically a full season to get a look at what players can fit into a new style of play and which players can't - and most are off contract so we can totally rebuild in one season.

Negatives;
We owe Joey a million dollars for nothing.
We can kiss goodbye to any chance we had at a premiership this year.

macavity

Referee
yup, injury forced retirement = paid remainder of contract

insurer will cover it I believe

CJKnight

Juniors
I think the biggest positive is the experience Mullen will get. Whether we buy a half next season or not... Mullen's game will have grown in leaps and bounds.

With players like Doogs, Buderus, Kidley, and Simmo in the side, one would think we will still get a reasonable position on the ladder.

Burwood

Bench
Mullen is going to be a negative I fear. Smith would have planned heavily for him to spend the entire season out on the field working alongside Johns and learning things as the game played out in front of him. You can say that Johns will still give him advice off the field, but nothing can compare to having Johns on hand during the game. Mullen is going to learn a lot of hard lessons this year.

Another negative for Mullen is the enormous pressure that is going to be on his shoulders. People in this forum are already expecting big things from him this season.

KniGhTs BaTTLeR

Juniors
Positives - Brian Smith and the club know what has to be done and we have a whole season to work on it.
Mullen has a chance to proove himself and show everyone he is ready.
Players can no longer use Joey as an excuse for loses.
Every player will fire up

Negatives-We just lost the greatest player the has ever been and nobody can replace that.

Positive_its early in the season..plenty of time to work out combinations....its also time for that fallback excuse of..joey is back soon..its not going to happen so the boys have thweir mind totally on the job..johns will still be at training guiding everyone..his vast knowledge wont be gone..one he comes back from overseas.. did i hear that?
The call now has to be.".LETS DO THIS FOR JOEY"

negatives_..its a huge hole to fill..doubt if we will be GF material this year..mid carders really..anything after that i bonus..but with a few internationals in the side we should be top 6..they just have to get their heads around it..

You watch em rip n tear for joey this weekend

Alex28

Coach
Burwood said:
Mullen is going to be a negative I fear. Smith would have planned heavily for him to spend the entire season out on the field working alongside Johns and learning things as the game played out in front of him. You can say that Johns will still give him advice off the field, but nothing can compare to having Johns on hand during the game. Mullen is going to learn a lot of hard lessons this year.
He could have learned all these lessons last year - but Hagan insisted on sticking Kidley there...

Thank f*** we are free of that hack of a coach - but his legacy will haunt us for years...

I think Roopy summed up the negative perfectly we wont contend for the GF even if we do stumble into the finals.

The positives are the obvious chance to establish halves and begin the process of life after god.

knights04

Bench
Positives: - Frees up a lot of the salary cap.
- Knights can no longer be labled 'one-man team'.
- Gives someone else a go.
- Joey is still walking

Negatives: - Knights finals chances are slim
- Greatest player since "The King" is no longer at the helm

Yosh

Coach
Dont know if it will positive or negative but exciting times ahead for sure. THE UNCERTAINTY!!! WILL MULLEN PERFORM? WILL WE GO DOWN AND GET THE SPOON? WILL WE SPARK UP AND WIN THE PREMIERSHIP? WILL WE SIGN UP SOME AMAZING PLAYERS WITH THE SPARE CAP SPACE? WHAT IS GOING ON?

Positive- We have Brian Smith instead of Hagan, always a positive

Ben

Bench
Positive- We have Brian Smith instead of Hagan, always a positive
ah Yosh beat me to it.

We are in the best position we can be in to cover for Johns retirement. We have plenty of money to spend with a couple of quality players on the market. We have a half in Mullen who is young and although may not be the player Johns is, can still learn a lot from the maestro himself.

AdamT

Juniors
roopy said:
Positives;
We know where we stand.
We have an enormous amount of salary cap to spend for the first time in years.
We have basically a full season to get a look at what players can fit into a new style of play and which players can't - and most are off contract so we can totally rebuild in one season.

Negatives;
We owe Joey a million dollars for nothing.
We can kiss goodbye to any chance we had at a premiership this year.

Wont half of his $500,000 a season go to the golden parachute I read about for their departing CEO?

Frederick

Staff member
knights04 said:
- Knights can no longer be labled 'one-man team'.
Not true. If we lose every game from now until the end of the season, the media will have a field day.

...then again, if we win every game purely on the back of Mullo or Bedsy, the one-man team jibe will continue, just the one man will have changed :p

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Burwood said:

Another negative for Mullen is the enormous pressure that is going to be on his shoulders. People in this forum are already expecting big things from him this season.
I am confident that Mullo won't be a negative. He's been quiet in the last couple of games, some might say terrible, but IMO he's primed for a big one really soon. He'll be right, I just hope that if we don't go well for the next six weeks that people don't jump on his back and say that he's no good. You don't play for the Australian Schoolboys for several years in a row if you're no good. He's gonna need time to adjust and to figure out how he's going to run the team. It's going to be "his team" in theory now, because Joey isn't coming back.

He has a whole load of weight on his shoulders, but don't crucify the kid if he doesn't do anything "worthwhile" to start with.

Serc

First Grade
Well said, he's got some time to settle in now and I'll bet we'll see some good stuff from him soon :)

knightsyeah12

Juniors
too true, give mullen time and he will be great. i really hope we get some good buys with the money we have. i would love to c hodges and Ryles in Newcastle next year, dopnt know how likely it is but still a man can dream cant he.

Latest posts