What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Positivly Elliott

ozbash

Referee
Warriors coach Matt Elliott says the clubs owners Sir Owen Glenn and Eric Watson will give him time to turn around the team's fortunes.
Elliott hasn't yet been able end the Warriors' horrific losing run that began with eight games to go last season, as this year they've already posted defeats to the Eels and Roosters.
If the Warriors are unable to beat the Sharks away on Sunday it's feared they could lose their first five games of this campaign as there are the daunting prospects of playing the Cowboys and Rabbitohs in the following two fixtures.
Elliott has consistently said he's confident that he can turn around the fortunes at the ailing club, but there is the issue of how much time the owners will give him to do that.
However, Elliott believes the owners will have the patience to allow him to bring back a winning culture.
"I am 100 per cent confident in that," said Elliott, who previously coached Bradford, the Raiders and Panthers.
"I know what it's like not to have the quality support in this position and contrast is a real thing in life.
"You don't know if something is really cold unless you know what's hot.
"I can't speak highly enough [of them]. It is not all warm fuzzy feeling stuff, they're very direct people, but supportive and you'll never hear me complain about that."
Elliott has made minimal changes to the Warriors team so far, although injuries have limited the amount of playing options he's had.
The 48-year-old has faith in the players at the club and likewise with Shaun Johnson as the team's goal kicker, who missed the chance to level the game against the Roosters last weekend with a shocking conversion attempt in the last few minutes.
"I am going to stick with him," Elliott said.
"I am looking forward to the time when you blokes [the media] are all sticking these things in my face [dictaphones] and say 'how unreal was Shaun's kick from out wide to win the game?'
"We've just got to go through it. Sometimes it's tough and I know we're asking our fans and members a lot at the moment to keep the faith, but if you've had children - and I've got four daughters so I know about it - it's sticking by them and having the faith because they'll come out good kids."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/8460962/Elliott-not-racing-clock-to-turn-Warriors-around

hitro

Juniors
ME talks the walk and in due course his words will wear thin with OG
Has anyone else thought that when Inu left so did the soul and personality of the team
Have they even won a single game without Inu?

Diesel

Referee
It's hard to a accept we are in a transition period when we were constantly playing finals footy under Ivan. We were in a GF 18 months ago.

If we get the spoon I'll be mightly pissed off. A team with a whole country to call upon for players behind it should never get the spoon.

If Elliott can turn this side into a constantly strong team like Manly and Melbourne I'm willing to give him this season to put the structure in place but if I hear anything like Kearneys 5 year plan shit then I know we are being BSed to.

Bluey must have really f upped this team and its structure.

Good luck to Elliott, I'm not sure we'll get the premiership from him (I hope I'm wrong) but I'm confident he'll put a good structure in place to make us the next Melbourne or Manly

Last edited:

Aragorn

First Grade
Good luck to Elliott, I'm not sure we'll get the premiership from him (I hope I'm wrong) but I'm confident he'll put a good structure in place to make us the next Melbourne or Manly

right, just like he did with Penrith?

oh wait a minute, didnt they sack him so that they could hire our coach?
FMD.

Diesel

Referee
I'm pretty disappointed about how this season has started and I'm looking for positive because there aren't many at the moment.

Was Ivan a really good coach or did Bluey just set us back a fair bit?

Micistm

Bench
Jurys still out. What we've got is what we've got. Week two was better than week one, Elliots here, it would be dumb IMO to turf it all out now. In fairness to him we were dreadful the second half of last season and you don't ditch that overnight.
Listening to Friend on his Radio Sport hour he's diplomatic, but a bit critical of some in the team still not giving their all. I'm hoping Elliot will be less matey matey than Bluey, give them a chance to ammend then turf if they don't.

I'm still sad Inu is not in the team, yet another player the Warriors should not have let go.
If Elliot does not achieve the change desired, Scurrah needs his marching orders as well. I cannot believe that guy escaped the mess of the last year. Say a lot of things about Bluey, I thought he'd be a great coach but just obviously wasn't up to week in week out- But he is a nice bloke, and honourable bloke that put his hand up for the responsibility of last last year. Scurrah on the other hand IMO is a slimey git that weaseled away from any responsibility whatsoever, shifting blame onto others. There is a career in Parliament for him

Rich102

Staff member
Has Bellamy re-signed with the Storm?
Any chance he is still coming here next year?
Too far out in left field?

Iafeta

Referee
It's hard to a accept we are in a transition period when we were constantly playing finals footy under Ivan. We were in a GF 18 months ago.

If we get the spoon I'll be mightly pissed off. A team with a whole country to call upon for players behind it should never get the spoon.

If Elliott can turn this side into a constantly strong team like Manly and Melbourne I'm willing to give him this season to put the structure in place but if I hear anything like Kearneys 5 year plan shit then I know we are being BSed to.

Bluey must have really f upped this team and its structure.

I think this is the point. What on earth did this fellow do with the team? In his reign they went from Grand Finalists to near on wooden spooners with no redeeming light at the end of the tunnel. Utter chump of a coach.

Iafeta

Referee
Has Bellamy re-signed with the Storm?
Any chance he is still coming here next year?
Too far out in left field?

Yes he has.

Of course rours abound about Bennett. And he has been known to want to do whatever he can for world rugby league... I seriously doubt it though. I think the chance of a super coach came and went, and Eric Watson, for some daft reason, so much as admitted that.

Aragorn

First Grade
i dont believe you need a super coach. A strong CEO or GM can be just as good in building and influencing a top culture at a club. And with players who have strong leadership qualities and take a no nonsense approach to life, a team can easily turn things around quickly.

I remember the bull dogs were a shambles back in 2008 - they took home the wooden spoon, Sonny Bill did a runner to France, Willie Mason was a deliquent & the club had all sort of problems off field (allegations of assualt at coffs harbour etc). The club eventually sacked the CEO and introduced Todd Greenberg. This guy is a legend. Absolutely takes no shit, able to make hard decisions and doesnt come across as used car salesman like most CEOs. I watched him give an interview on the footy show and he came across as a total professional, passionate about football, had a lot of integrity and very smart. From wooden spooners, they went to 2nd in the regular season the following year. Pretty impressive given all the talent they had lost and the only key signing was an ageing Brett Kimmorley.

Aragorn

First Grade
and just to rant a little further if I may - I wouldnt discount the impact John Hart had on the clubs structure and culture. I was a key man in Clearlys box week in and week out. Who did Bluey have at his side ? his injured players like Luck and the U21 coach? says a lot really.

Hopefully Elliot can do a better job this year, but so far, it isnt looking promising.....

spear tackle

Juniors
I don't think you can underestimate the influence John Hart had on the side when Cleary was coach, sure he wasn't out there showing them the ropes or anything like that but behind the scenes he seemed to keep everything running well.

SilentOne

Juniors
I don't think you can underestimate the influence John Hart had on the side when Cleary was coach, sure he wasn't out there showing them the ropes or anything like that but behind the scenes he seemed to keep everything running well.

Agreed, he was the biggest loss for the club in my opinion. It surprises me they aren't using a guy like Price in a similar role.

Rich102

Staff member
and just to rant a little further if I may - I wouldnt discount the impact John Hart had on the clubs structure and culture. I was a key man in Clearlys box week in and week out. Who did Bluey have at his side ? his injured players like Luck and the U21 coach? says a lot really.

Hopefully Elliot can do a better job this year, but so far, it isnt looking promising.....

Hart was a key man or you were?

Akkerz

Juniors
I'm not at all convinced Elliot is as good as he thinks he is. Unfortunately Warriors do not have a CEO who is passionate about RL and in my thinking that's a big problem.
What could a Todd Greenberg achieve with our motley lot. We can but dream.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Wonder how much Elliott is on, couldnt be more than 200-250k max surely? Would've given Cleary double that for 4 years in hindsight.

Diesel

Referee
I heard Elliott wanted 1 year to prove himself so management signed him for two years

Diesel

Referee
2 games down and two hiding plus the team being down 16-0 at one stage against the Roosters. I want to see Elliott wield the axe now, this isn't good enough