What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Positivly Elliott

Dogs Of War

Coach
I'm sure I have read somewhere before that Elliot's game plans are pretty complex, maybe Elliot just needs to dumb it down this season until the guys get the basics right first.

Aragorn

First Grade
I'm sure I have read somewhere before that Elliot's game plans are pretty complex, maybe Elliot just needs to dumb it down this season until the guys get the basics right first.

oh f**k, I hope you`re wrong. The word complexity is something too complex for a team like the warriors to understand.

Aragorn

First Grade
For all you pro-elliot fans out there - what exactly has he changed since he`s some on board to the club? lets get some specifics here.

1. has he won us a game yet? nope 0/3
2. has he changed our backline or made any radical changes to the team? taylor to hooker is about it - has it been a success - most would argue - no
3. has our defense improved? lets see... 40 points scored in the opening round, followed by 16 against the roosters and 28 by the sharks - worst defence record in the comp - I would argue - hell no
4. has he signed on any new players? nope
5. are the players playing with more confidence? a spring in the their step? is the attitude any different to last year? no.no.no.

he talks a good talk - but he has delivered on zip so far......

jury is still out... but its not looking good.

Micistm

Bench
Fair points...I'm not "Pro Elliot' in the literal sense...but I have liked what he has said so far, and think seeing he's here now it is past the point of no return, he needs a decent amount of rounds leeway. Then reassess. I am interested to how he will react if the D doesn't improve, if attitudes don't, if the halves don't fire etc.

Aragorn

First Grade
mate, talkers like elliot will have some excuse or theory why it didnt work...... team arent listening, bad luck, injuries, cultural dna, refs fault, we`re nearly there, we need more time... judge me next season..... blah.

jamaman

Juniors
mate, talkers like elliot will have some excuse or theory why it didnt work...... team arent listening, bad luck, injuries, cultural dna, refs fault, we`re nearly there, we need more time... judge me next season..... blah.

...thats how he left Canberra and Penrith

Rich102

Staff member
This is Elliott's thinking:

Warriors coach Matt Elliott has previously said he would remain loyal to his players but he said today he thinks a lack of accountability is hurting them as they contemplate a dreadful start to their 2013 NRL season.
The Warriors have as many as 12 players who might be fighting for a first-grade spot on the treatment table, which is limiting Elliott's ability to make changes to a side that has lost all three games this season.
He has made two so far this week, with Sam Rapira and Glen Fisiiahi named to start against the Cowboys, and is hopeful hooker Nathan Friend recovers sufficiently from his troublesome shoulder injury to make his first appearance of the season.
The Warriors' problems are many and varied but players have escaped the selectorial axe because of a lack of alternatives. If Friend isn't right to play against North Queensland on Monday he should play the following weekend against South, winger Manu Vatuvei (ankle) should also be available to face the Rabbitohs, centre Jerome Ropati (knee) could come into consideration the following weekend against Canberra and prop Russell Packer (bicep) and utility Steve Rapira (ear) are three to four weeks away.
"With the amount of injuries we have, the accountability is the coach getting the Tom tits with you,'' Elliott said. "At some point we are going to have to be in a position to make some changes and hopefully that won't be necessary because, with these guys coming back in the next two to three weeks, everyone else will start getting their game right.''
It hasn't been pretty so far, and their games have been littered with mistakes, missed tackles, a lack of fluency and, horribly, lack of effort. They have scored just 28 points this season - and none in the first half of their three games - but conceded 84 and the upshot is they sit rooted to the bottom of the table.
The Warriors coaching staff have looked into all aspects of their approach on and off the field but Elliott comes back to one issue.
"This is more about mindset,'' he said. "We can talk about strategic stuff but this more about the team's mindset. We have created this problem, no one else has.
"We are just not sticking to what we plan to do. When you get away from your structure you tend to make more errors so you tend to do more defence than the opposition and you get in a negative cycle.
"Our response to that is to get conservative, so guys are tight. And that brings more errors. The message is that we are not going to get out of this by being conservative.''
A lot of that responsibility falls on the halves Shaun Johnson and Thomas Leuluai and hooker Elijah Taylor who lack cohesion and look forced in what they are doing.
Former Kiwis fullback and Herald columnist Richie Barnett has been disappointed with that trio but also fullback Kevin Locke, who he wants to see get more involved.
"He needs to front up and stop hiding,'' Barnett said. "He must lift his game. He would be one of the players that needs to add value to the side to get them out of this hole.
"He's got everything available to him but until he understands how good his is he will never achieve his potential.''

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10874019

Aragorn

First Grade
what a coockle doodle answer.

no accountability, injury and mindset explanation hey?

my question to him, as the coach, what does he intend to do to fix it?

and his answer will be, the players need to answer this themselves.....

he`s a cunning man elliot and i know his game... a cunning man...

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
He's a talker for sure.

I agree with there being no accountability though. Something needs to happen to give some of these guys a reality check.

Skinner

Coach
Jeez the knives are out early this year. We've only had three rounds (not great rounds I'll admit).

vvvrulz

Coach
Jeez the knives are out early this year. We've only had three rounds (not great rounds I'll admit).

Nobody is saying anything about dumping Elliott yet, I'm having big problems with our #9 and #6 but other than that I'm not keen on too many changes. I think most of us are on the same page there.

Players need to be Vulcanized and if that means we lose some players so be it.
Elliot stays for me. We made a mistake letting Cleary go but we need to move on and make sure we set the platform for success by trusting the man. United we stand, divided we fall. I know 99% will disagree with backing Elliot due to his record though I strongly believe even Elliot will have his day in the sun. Go the true Warriors who really want to be there. F.O to the no effort pea hearted players who want out.

Micistm

Bench

Yeah, I know what you're saying, and fair points as we've heard it all before...
But in this case, I'm prepared to hold fire a few more rounds to see exactly how he reacts to team performance. It's been a shithouse start for sure, and couldn't have been that much worse if it tried. But let's see if he actually puts his money where his mouth is, and makes some changes, makes some players accountable etc.

age.s

First Grade

Elliott's gameplan isn't complex at all. Did you watch us at all while he coached us? Hitup hitup hitup hitup bomb/kick. That's it. He just has no idea what he's talking about so he talks crap the players don't understand. Petero diplomatically called that a gameplan that was "too complex".