What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible NSW Origin Line-ups

mxlegend99

Referee
IMO:

1. Anthony Minichello (McKinnon if Mini doesn't perform)
2. Matt King
3. Matt Cooper
4. Jamie Lyon
5. Eric Grothe
6. Jarrod Mullen
7. Craig Gower/Matt Orford (depending on form)
8. Mark O'Meley
9. Danny Buderus
10. Luke Bailey
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Willie Mason
13. Luke O'Donnel

14. Ben Creagh
15. Joel Clinton
16. Steve Simpson
17. Ben Hornby

I think Clinton is a great chance at sky blue with the performances he has put in these first 2 weeks. Even when our team got owned against Sharks, Clinton was on fire with massive hits and hard runs. If he keeps it up, he'd be great off the bench. Mullen is a must for 5/8 as with Gower or Orford he has a leader working with him and gives him experience for when these guys move on. We need to work our halves so we are going to have some experienced young fellas in future years. Otherwise we could be stuck with blooding 2 halves at the same time.

azzah72

Bench
1. Brett Stewart / Kurt Gidley
2. Matt King
3. Matt Cooper
4. Jamie Lyon
5. Eric Grothe
6. Ben Hornby
7. Craig Gower/Matt Orford
8. Mark O'Meley
9. Danny Buderus / Robbie Farrah
10. Luke Bailey
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Willie Mason
13. Luke O'Donnel

14. Paul Gallen
15. Greg Bird
16. Steve Simpson
17. Jarrod Mullen / Todd Carney

1 Wade McKinnon/Anthony Minichiello (based on form)
2 Timana Tahu
3 Matt Cooper
4 Jamie Lyon
5 Matt King
6 Jarrod Mullen
7 Craig Gower
8 Luke Bailey
9 Danny Buderus
10 Mark O'Meley
11 Willie Mason
12 Nathan Hindmarsh
13 Greg Bird (On FIRE)

14 Kurt Gidley
15 Jason Ryles
16 Anthony Laffranchi (in good form for GC)
17 Brent Kite

t-ba

Post Whore
We're f*cked in the halves. That is all.

Anyone who doesn't include Brent Kite in their team is on crack. Anyone who does include Jamie Lyon in their team needs to watch a Manly match...

Jake86

Juniors
Mini
King
Lyon
Cooper
Tahu
Hornby
Gower
O'Meley
Buderus
Bailey
Hindmarsh
Mason
Gallen

Gidley
Laffranci
Ryles
Tupou

Great looking side, except for the halves. Forward pack is better than qlds, outside backs even, though halves will get dominated.

Big Mick

Referee
1. Wade McKinnon
2. Luke Rooney
3. Jamie Lyon
4. Matt Cooper
5. Matt King
6. Jarrod Mullen
7. Craig Gower
8. Mark O'Meley
9. Robbie Farah
10. Luke Bailey
11. Willie Mason
12. Nathan Hindmarsh
13. Greg Bird

14. Brent Kite
15. Luke Douglas
16. Steve Simpson
17. Kurt Gidley

philstorm

Juniors
Mini
King
Lyon
Cooper
Tahu
Hornby
Gower
O'Meley
Buderus
Bailey
Hindmarsh
Mason
Bird

Farah
Laffranci
Hoffman
Tupou

Vicious

Bench
1.Anthony Minichiello
2.Brett Stewart or Jarryd Hayne
3.Matt Cooper
4.Jamie Lyon
5.Matt King
6.Braith Anasta
7.Matt Orford
13.Greg Bird
12.Nathan Hindmarsh
11.Willie Mason
10.Luke Bailey
9.Robbie Farah
8.Mark O`Meley

14.Renie Matua (i`d like another ball playing option on the bench and his ability to cover the centres is an added bonus)
15.Paul Gallen or Ryan Hoffman or Anthony Tupou or Dean Widders
16.Anthony Watmough or Steve Simpson or Anthony Laffranchi
17.Brent Kite

Goldthorpe

Bench
I would like the first NSW State of Origin side to be the mixture of experience and form (based on the first 4 rounds of course)

01. Brett Stewart
02. Nathan Merritt
03. Jamie Lyon
04. Matt Cooper
05. Matt King
06. Ben Hornby
07. Brett Kimmorley
08. Luke Bailey
09. Robbie Farah
10. Jason Ryles
11. Willie Mason
12. Nathan Hindmarsh
13. Greg Bird

14. Todd Carney
15. Andrew Ryan
16. Mark O'Meley
17. Brent Kite

The doubts I have are
1. Blooding 5 State of Origin rookies (Stewart, Merritt, Farah, Bird and Carney) in the 17
2. The size of Nathan Merritt on the wing. (BUT you look at QLD and they have Bowen, Slater etc and they go alright)
3. The decision between Todd Carney and Jarrod Mullen. I believe you have to blood either or in this series for the future. I chose Carney due that he has been in better form then Mullen.
4. Either Matt Orford, Craig Gower or Brett Kimmorley at Halfback. At this stage Kimmorley is in better form then Gower (both have played 4 games) and Orford has only played 1 game and he dominated.
5. Not picking the regulars in Anthony Minichiello and Danny Buderus. Minichiello has come off a long term injury and dominates when he don’s the sky blue while Buderus is coming off a suspension and needs to get back to where he left off.

We have great depth in the back row with Anthony Laffranchi, Lance Thompson, Ryan Hoffman and Steve Simpson missing out. Only if we could swap one of those for the same quality five eighth.

perverse

Referee
Madcat said:
I would like the first NSW State of Origin side to be the mixture of experience and form (based on the first 4 rounds of course)

01. Brett Stewart
02. Nathan Merritt
03. Jamie Lyon
04. Matt Cooper
05. Matt King
06. Ben Hornby
07. Brett Kimmorley
08. Luke Bailey
09. Robbie Farah
10. Jason Ryles
11. Willie Mason
12. Nathan Hindmarsh
13. Greg Bird

14. Todd Carney
15. Andrew Ryan
16. Mark O'Meley
17. Brent Kite

The doubts I have are
1. Blooding 5 State of Origin rookies (Stewart, Merritt, Farah, Bird and Carney) in the 17
2. The size of Nathan Merritt on the wing. (BUT you look at QLD and they have Bowen, Slater etc and they go alright)
3. The decision between Todd Carney and Jarrod Mullen. I believe you have to blood either or in this series for the future. I chose Carney due that he has been in better form then Mullen.
4. Either Matt Orford, Craig Gower or Brett Kimmorley at Halfback. At this stage Kimmorley is in better form then Gower (both have played 4 games) and Orford has only played 1 game and he dominated.
5. Not picking the regulars in Anthony Minichiello and Danny Buderus. Minichiello has come off a long term injury and dominates when he don’s the sky blue while Buderus is coming off a suspension and needs to get back to where he left off.

We have great depth in the back row with Anthony Laffranchi, Lance Thompson, Ryan Hoffman and Steve Simpson missing out. Only if we could swap one of those for the same quality five eighth.
he's off to a good start.. pretty sure he nabbed 3 dally m points against the storm in a losing side.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Graham Murray stated last night that he thought Mckinnon was the form player in the NRL after Thurston.

Beez

Juniors
Here's my team.

1. Minichello
2. King
3. Cooper
4. Lyon
5. Grothe
6. Hornby
7. Gower
8. Bailey
9. Buderus
10. Kite
11. Hindmarsh
12. Mason
13. Maitua
14. O'Meley
15. Ryan
16. Simpson
17. Gidley
18. Gallen

azzah72

Bench
Madcat said:

01. Brett Stewart
02. Nathan Merritt
03. Jamie Lyon
04. Matt Cooper
05. Matt King
06. Ben Hornby
07. Brett Kimmorley
08. Luke Bailey
09. Robbie Farah
10. Jason Ryles
11. Willie Mason
12. Nathan Hindmarsh
13. Greg Bird

14. Todd Carney
15. Andrew Ryan
16. Mark O'Meley
17. Brent Kite

The doubts I have are

Pretty solid side, i wouldn't have Merrit, could be ok but still a little small, i'd have hornby at fullback and play as a second playmaker, stewart on the wing, i know people will hate this but i would have either holsworth (is he a QLD'er?) or bwaith in there to compliment noddy a little bit and i would take ryles out and put in kite and have Gallen on the bench. Now i am going to contradict myself a little but i wouldn't have Todd Carney, he hasn't done much but i would put in Campbell.
One wother way in Mckinnon in fullback and Hornby in 5/8.

voltron

Juniors
01. Anthony Minichello - Form in defense was great against broncos, stopped alot of tries (except the hodges one, was faked out badly)
02. Nathan Merritt - deserves a chance i believe
03. Jamie Lyon/Tahu - depends on form i guess, both can have a huge impact on the game
04. Matt Cooper/Tahu - cooper is great defensively, and dependable
05. Matt King
06. Ben Hornby - maybe a young'un instead, like carney or mullens
07. Brett Kimmorley - best halves pairing atm?
08. Luke Bailey
09. Danny Buderus (c) - is the captain.
10. Willie Mason
11. Steve Simpson
12. Nathan Hindmarsh
13. Andrew Ryan

14. Anthony Topou - threatens to make an offload every single time, worth a chance
15. Reni Matuia - damaging ball runner
16. Mark O'Meley
17. Brent Kite

Edit reason: adding reasonings

perverse

Referee
voltron said:
01. Anthony Minichello - Form in defense was great against broncos, stopped alot of tries (except the hodges one, was faked out badly)
02. Nathan Merritt - deserves a chance i believe
03. Jamie Lyon/Tahu - depends on form i guess, both can have a huge impact on the game
04. Matt Cooper/Tahu - cooper is great defensively, and dependable
05. Matt King
06. Ben Hornby - maybe a young'un instead, like carney or mullens
07. Brett Kimmorley - best halves pairing atm?
08. Luke Bailey
09. Danny Buderus (c) - is the captain.
10. Willie Mason
11. Steve Simpson
12. Nathan Hindmarsh
13. Andrew Ryan

14. Anthony Topou - threatens to make an offload every single time, worth a chance
15. Reni Matuia - damaging ball runner
16. Mark O'Meley
17. Brent Kite

Edit reason: adding reasonings
after game 1 in '05 i never want to see kimmorley play origin again. other than that i can't really fault that side. we're still grossly outclassed in the backline.

although how is hindmarsh's form? he'll probably be picked on reputation anyway, with good reason... he is a dead set tireless worker... but i'd like to see a few things change this year.