What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Potential signings for next season

LeftRightOut

Juniors
A PNG club would have next to no hope of signing a big name, unless the 'name' saw the philanthropic angle of playing out of Port Moresby.. It's unlikely they'll get a team anyways.

Iafeta

Referee
If the Warriors can't lure over a top player, what chance does a proposed (although remote chance of happening) PNG bid

One of the reasons a PNG bid would never work. You couldn't pay me enough to go there to live. Port Moresby was 139th out of 140 from recollection on a global livability study.

The furtherest expansion team I'm aware of in Australasian sport was the Singapore Slingers in the ANBL, it fell apart at the end but one of the reasons it stood a chance of working was the fact that Singapore is itself a beautifully clean, modern, economically strong city nation, in a relatively similar time zone. I believe the reason it failed is it had been on the proviso it played for opposition travel into Singapore, and they didn't get the revenue from crowds/merchandise/sponsorship to cover that. Mores the pity, if I was a basketballer it'd be somewhere I'd have been keen to go.

Even then, I don't recall the Slingers pulling too many high profiles Australians or New Zealanders.

Diesel

Referee
We must have some pulling power to get Mateo, Inu, Price, Campion and Cleary over, I realise the last 3 were in the twilight of their career. I guess when we start playing exciting and winning footy, we are a chance.

playdaball

Bench
One of the reasons a PNG bid would never work. You couldn't pay me enough to go there to live. Port Moresby was 139th out of 140 from recollection on a global livability study.

The world according to the Warriors would tell you that Auckland is the 140th city in the global livability study.

I've worked for a multi national conmpany and they attracted people from overseas to work in Auckland ... even Aussies. The club just does not understand what makes people tick if they can't attract people here.

Heck ... even Matt Elliot crossed the Tasman or wre we the only club in Australasia to offer him a coaching contract?

Penrose11

Juniors
Chad Townsend is a boom Sharks half coming off contract. Been playing reserve grade alongside Brett Finch. Could be worth a sniff.

Sam Williams is another #7 off contract we should make a play for. He's someone who could lead the team around the park and let Shaun work his magic. Maybe our pack wouldn't appear so ineffectual if they had some real direction. Hence why a big play for Carney is such a bad thing. Aren't Elliott n Carney supposed to be BFF'S or something ??

Penrose11

Juniors
Yes definitely the case but I think Johnson plays at his best behind the line and injecting himself as needed. I always see him playing a role similar to Thurston or Lockyer etc. It appears our options seem to be getting fewer n fewer by the day and we need to find something thats going to work for us. What we've go aint cutting it thats for sure.

ozbash

Referee
Heck ... even Matt Elliot crossed the Tasman or wre we the only club in Australasia to offer him a coaching contract?

I think there was desperation on both sides of that fence.

Marque coach ??

playdaball

Bench
I think there was desperation on both sides of that fence.

Marque coach ??

There were plans to have Kidwell as coach and Elliot as Manager ... stil thinks this could be the way they roll.

A question:
If Bellamy, Bennett, Hasler etc were coaching here would players still be reluctant to cross the Tasman to join the Warriors??

Rich102

Staff member
I think the stumbling block is the club's reputation not the fact we are based in Auckland.
If you were a player hoping to further his career and go on to play Origin or Test footy would you sign with a team that is flopping around at the bottom of the table with no direction?
It is a chicken and the egg situation. We need clas players to get the results but without results we won't get class players.
We are always going to have to pay overs for overseas players. Why would they choose a club where you are away every second week-end? Our salary cap should be adjusted to allow for this.
That said, if we were a dynamic team who were going places, we would attract good players.
The fact we can't attract even a player of only 6 NRL games experiance shows overseas players have no confidence in the Warrior's set-up.
So far it has been all talk and the players we wan't aren't buying it. The big danger is our supposed best players are playing poorly and there is a real risk we will lose some of them.

Penrose11

Juniors
We have quite a few of our squad coming off contract. Of or top 20 used this year Taylor is off so need a 2nd rower. Ropati is unsigned ( thankfully) so nreed a centre but even if he did sign, our centres always get injured so need another anyway. Frontrow stocks need bolstering due to injury/ suspension etc that comes with position. I presume we'll resign Friend but if not then Luluaei is a natural fit.

Here's my top 5 off contract targets

Tom Symonds at 2nd row/lock - signed 1year deal in late Feb. Wouldn't have been top $$ contract
Trent Hodkinson in at standoff - unsure if a Dessie favourite so could be looking elsewhere
Frank Paul Nuiasala in at front/2nd row - struggling to make roosters pack
Jason Bakuya at 2nd row - linked with us already
Chase Stanley at centre - dragons have made a few outside back signings and Stanley still unsigned

Hopefully its similar to what the Dean n Wayne show are thinking? ?

Scott

Bench
FPN is not struggling to make the Roosters. He is injured and was a regular starter until injured.

Jason Bakuya is part of the shambles that is Cronulla & ASADA. Probably best to see how that all plays out before we actually offer him a deal.

I rate Chase Stanley & Tom Symonds. Both very very good players.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Tom is getting paid 60k at the moment by Manly with the Roosters chipping in the rest

Id day we will use Kites money to upgrade him, and Galuvao will probably be done too

spear tackle

Juniors
I think the stumbling block is the club's reputation not the fact we are based in Auckland.

Agree, just look at Souths for years players did not want to go there, but just look at them now they are a side to fear.
It took them a while and a few hard years of recruiting to get the mix right but we could possibly take a few lessons from them.
Mind you a lot of their problems were financial I think but still there must be something Warriors managment could adopt from them.

tangalife

Juniors
Re: Front Rowers, I was thinking we could do with another one but we still have Gubb and Matagi as back ups after Lilly/Packer/Mats/Rapira. Probably cheaper options that will do the job as oppose to paying double for an Aussie, you gotta think that its Rd 8 and we haven't even had to call Gubb and Matagi up yet. Plus I hear Matagi is actually pretty good and to watch out for, haven't actually seen him play myself yet.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Re: Front Rowers, I was thinking we could do with another one but we still have Gubb and Matagi as back ups after Lilly/Packer/Mats/Rapira. Probably cheaper options that will do the job as oppose to paying double for an Aussie, you gotta think that its Rd 8 and we haven't even had to call Gubb and Matagi up yet. Plus I hear Matagi is actually pretty good and to watch out for, haven't actually seen him play myself yet.

On top of that we have Louisi who will come back next year and did a solid job last season.

Then there's Albert Vete of the U20's and he's a definite keeper. Has that extra aggression some of our forwards are lacking.

Iafeta

Referee

Gubb was 18th man earlier this year. I would say he was going to play at some point earlier when injuries hit, but he himself went down with injury at the same time.

Illiterate

Juniors
How about signing Neville costigan seems like a bit of a tough nut witch is what our pack is missing.
Wouldn't mind if the warriors did make a move on chase Stanley

Penrose11

Juniors
Dont really know much of Gubb but we i rekon we need to find us a 60min + prop. Tolman wouldv been perfect, not that we woild eve have got himt. Someone in the Price mould though. Leads by example n does the hard yards when needed.

Latest posts