What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Potters tenure

No, not like anyone is chasing him however the Warriors are looking at Kidwell according to 2UE tonight.

That might be a bigger loss if we grant him a release to early in the season.

I was critical of hs recruitment pre-season but happy to say I was wrong.

Taupau, Richards and Gavet excellent.
Patterson hampered by injury but I think will come good.
Lulia has actually exceeded expectations. Solid if unspectacular.
Halatau jury is out.

Still needs a quality backrower and outside back for next year. And a five eighth.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I was critical of hs recruitment pre-season but happy to say I was wrong.

Taupau, Richards and Gavet excellent.
Patterson hampered by injury but I think will come good.
Lulia has actually exceeded expectations. Solid if unspectacular.
Halatau jury is out.

Still needs a quality backrower and outside back for next year. And a five eighth.

Agree on the back rower, would also like another center.

Don't know about the 5/8 though. Happy to have Austin there next year and then he and Moses can fight it out after that.

I think runs of wins and losses is inevitable for such a young side, especially with two rookies essentially in the spine.

maybe, but if we go on a run of 8 straight losses again maybe we do need to move him on. The last thing we need is for the kids to have their confidence shot because they're getting beat every week. That said, I haven't seen the team look this happy in years.

magpie guy

Juniors
I would be happy with Potter given another couple of years. At the very least til 2015 when the squad should be where Potter wants it.

I am particularly happy with the way Potter utilises his bench. We have size, strength and impact sitting on the bench. His prop rotation and interchange use is a breath of fresh air when compared to what we had to deal with under Sheens.

BrotherJim05

Bench
I think another 2-3 years is well deserved. What he is doing with our juniors is legendary and I really want to see them all develop under Potter.

WT Unity

Juniors
Definitely should be looking to retain the coach as the club needs the stability that will bring. So far he has proven himself to be cool and calm, tough and resilient in the face of boardroom disputes over petty get squares re which side of the JV was in power when he was signed. On top of that he put his kahuna's on the line over the Benji decision and I think we can all see that he has the courage of his convictions and his decision has been 100% vindicated! His most important task now is (IMO) to keep working on tightening up the defence. I am wrapped in the line speed and the aggression of our D, however, the fact remains that we have the 2nd worst defence in the comp at the moment (132 against) with only the Warriors (138 against) behind us. Tightening up the D even in games lost (and holding opponents to low scores when we win) is the next BIG challenge.

macnaz

Staff member
Definitely should be looking to retain the coach as the club needs the stability that will bring. So far he has proven himself to be cool and calm, tough and resilient in the face of boardroom disputes over petty get squares re which side of the JV was in power when he was signed. On top of that he put his kahuna's on the line over the Benji decision and I think we can all see that he has the courage of his convictions and his decision has been 100% vindicated! His most important task now is (IMO) to keep working on tightening up the defence. I am wrapped in the line speed and the aggression of our D, however, the fact remains that we have the 2nd worst defence in the comp at the moment (132 against) with only the Warriors (138 against) behind us. Tightening up the D even in games lost (and holding opponents to low scores when we win) is the next BIG challenge.

Cant disagree with any of that , well said .

Bullseye

Juniors
I'm a big Potter fan after all he did for us at Bradford. It's no surprise to me that he's starting to turn things around now. He deserves another 2 years to see the job through.

gronkathon

First Grade
More reason to keep potter. The boys club system is a failure

Absof**kinglutlely

Payten is a great liaison with the squad but not head coach material with this squad. Maybe when all those he played with before are gone but not before.

Do u care to elaborate bubbles ?

No mate, I was just chucking in a PPP reference like Parramatta have.

However, Toddy was one of the most respected players in the club and is still held in very high regard by all. He is a leader. There is no denying the players love him and that he has the smarts for coaching and for the numbers (salary cap).

Potter is doing a great job, he has done the hard yards early, laid a solid platform of a new style of play and discipline with his players. He deserves to be around to enjoy the successes (we hope) when they come.

There can be no denying he has transformed the club in reasonably quick time and has handled a spate of youngsters, who have been thrust into the big time way too early very well.

We are a club on the up, Toddy P will be a head coach one day, either as a Tiger or somewhere else.

As we saw with Nathan Brown at Saints, it can be very difficult to coach those you have recently played alongside.

Something i like about Potter is the loyalty he showed towards the players last season when we were travelling ordinary.It would of been easy to point the blame at a number of players publicly but to his credit he choose otherwise creating unity and trust.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Mick Potter set to remain at Wests Tigers after strong start to NRL season

Adrian Proszenko
Published: April 17, 2014 - 10:00PM

Wests Tigers coach Mick Potter could earn a contract extension next month following the club's strong start to the season.

Potter, who is off contract at the end of the year, was almost sacked last season as the club slumped to a 15th-placed finish.

However, the board held its nerve and now has its reward, a four-from-six start to the club's premiership campaign before the Easter Monday blockbuster against an equally resurgent Parramatta at ANZ Stadium.

Potter is part of a new-look coaching team this year which includes assistants Todd Payten and David Kidwell, the latter a contender for the top job at the Warriors.

It's understood an assessment will be made on Potter following the opening 10 rounds of the season by a new board which will include three independent NRL-appointed directors. The future of the coach will be one of the top items on the agenda when it is formed, most likely within a fortnight.

"We've got to get the board in place, that's the most important thing first and foremost," Tigers chief Grant Mayer said.

"Over the first six weeks of the competition, Mick has done everything right. In regards to any contract negotiations, you've got to put your best foot forward. He's doing that, the team is helping him do that and there's no doubt when it comes down to having those conversations, those results will play a big part in him going forward."

The Tigers were ravaged by injury last year and the fallout from Benji Marshall's switch to rugby. The club will again be without two of its biggest stars, captain Robbie Farah and fullback James Tedesco, against the Eels due to injury. However, the club appears in a better position to deal with the setbacks after recruiting well during the off-season.

One of those buys, NSW hopeful Pat Richards, said he would support an extension of Potter's tenure.

"Yeah, why not? He's getting the best out of us at the moment and doing a fine job," Richards said.

"It would have been testing for him last year with everything going on, but from the moment I got into the joint, he's been great with me."

Tigers forward Adam Blair said the players had sensed a change in Potter's outlook this year.

"He seems a little bit more relaxed, as everyone would be – myself included – when the pressure's not on," Blair said.

"When you're winning, everything seems to be going all right, and when times are tough, you find out a little bit more about yourself.

"He's been great this year. From the start of the pre-season he pushed us really hard and got the things out of us that we needed to work on.

"With the addition of Kidwell and Toddy, it helps a lot. They're all voicing their opinions on how the staff should be working together as a group to push us on to better things."

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...trong-start-to-nrl-season-20140417-zqvxx.html

Latest posts