What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power Play for NRL

Slackboy72

Coach
hmm 2 players down for five? force a dropout or a scrum close to the line then call the power play.If u cant score from that then you suck.

I'd do the exact opposite. If I was under the pump I'd call it and try to spread the ball in possesion and make it harder for the opposition to score. It would be a good way to negate a team getting a roll on.

it would be funny though if we see only 22 players on the field for the last 5 minutes and the game turns into touch football.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
All Stars is already a joke & something I wouldn't bother to watch. A glorified, novelty trial game. Then again I suppose there are some people who like 20/20 cricket ...

adamkungl

Immortal
Personally, I don't really care about the game, I just watch it because it's footy in Feb.

docbrown

Coach
There's no need to make it a special power play rule.

If the 40-20 were expanded to make it a general 40 metres advantage kick from inside a teams own half into the defence's, the defence would constantly be moving players back to cover it.

When it has been trialled the actual kick attempts are rare - but the 13 to 11/12 advantage leads to more ball passing in the attacking team's own half.

Jono1987

Juniors
LOVE LOVE LOVE the penatly rule. Really believe it would be beneficial to add it to the competition proper immediately.

Power play rule sounds like it was thought up between a couple of blokes at a pub on Saturday arvo...after about 20 schooners.

adamkungl

Immortal
I've said it before on here (and maybe it's because I was sick of watching my own team get slaughtered by these penalties :lol: ) that non-violent and non-professional foul defensive infringements, such as markers not square, offside, holding down too long, etc... should not be awarded a kick for touch. Considering the general inconsistency regarding such penalties it is frustrating to see teams get an easy march upfield and an opportunity at points through no effort of their own.

To counter the possibility of abusing a relaxing of these penalties, referees should be encouraged to use the sin-bin for repeated infringements, rather than constantly giving warnings.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Totaly incorrect but then again you are the genius who assumed that the Roar had probably won less than half of their 36 matches so I'm not surprised.

no ... totally correct about the cricket

couldn't really give a stuff about the roar... or the A league , I mean who does :roll:
no way in hell can their " record " be compared to the Roosters of the 1930's till they've won as many games as they did

& they're a long way off that
aren't they ?;-)

BM1979

Juniors
gicry.png

except for maybe golden point... there's nothing wrong with a draw druing the season..

And the stripping rule , Players should be able to hold on to the ball

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I'd do the exact opposite. If I was under the pump I'd call it and try to spread the ball in possesion and make it harder for the opposition to score. It would be a good way to negate a team getting a roll on.

Those were my first thoughts when I first read about it.

Plus with 2 players gone, these teams should be able to score from anywhere on the park.

Loudstrat

Coach
"Please Mr Ref - can you send two players to the sin bin for 5 minutes to make it easier for us to score tries?" What other sport would be so f*cking stupid? It's like making Mark Webber race on square tyres for two laps, or making Michael Phelps swim in a dinner suit, or Usain Bolt sprint in clogs.

Way to make the game a f*cking joke. If Indigenous people really like this concept, why turn it into a game for clowns???????

It has lost it's lusture. It was meant to be more than the sevens, but now it is as trivial and carnival-ish without the benefit of including all the underdog sides from around the globe. I can see the day when the big names will withdraw. The risk of injury is already great - the best players in the comp playing this rubbish when everyone complaied about tests against emerging countries like the USA. The risk of injury is only greater now for the defenders.

Great concept ruined by idiots. The real season opener is the WCC, and at home it's the Charity Shield. Try and insert stupid "trial" rules into the Charity Shield and see the reaction!

Ron's_Mate

Bench
"Please Mr Ref - can you send two players to the sin bin for 5 minutes to make it easier for us to score tries?" What other sport would be so f*cking stupid? It's like making Mark Webber race on square tyres for two laps, or making Michael Phelps swim in a dinner suit, or Usain Bolt sprint in clogs.

Way to make the game a f*cking joke. If Indigenous people really like this concept, why turn it into a game for clowns???????

It has lost it's lusture. It was meant to be more than the sevens, but now it is as trivial and carnival-ish without the benefit of including all the underdog sides from around the globe. I can see the day when the big names will withdraw. The risk of injury is already great - the best players in the comp playing this rubbish when everyone complaied about tests against emerging countries like the USA. The risk of injury is only greater now for the defenders.

Great concept ruined by idiots. The real season opener is the WCC, and at home it's the Charity Shield. Try and insert stupid "trial" rules into the Charity Shield and see the reaction!
Hear Hear!
This is what you get when marketing wankers are given too much leeway. Just put on a decent game of tough, skillful rugby league with no gimmicks. How hard can that be?

Loudstrat

Coach
You dickhead. My life is not "cranky" just because there is no need for ridiculous rules in our hallowed game.

If you want to make defending sides stand on their head for an entire set of six, go right ahead. But do it in Union, please. Can you actually tell anyone the point of this rule???

anjado

Juniors
This power play business is ridiculous, i know it is a glorified exhibition but why introduce such a stupid and ridiculous rule that will never ever be implemented in Rugby League god forbid.

Why not use it to exhibit rules which might possibly be a good idea and might happen one day.

for example

the team who scores kick's off same as in super league.

if the defensive side is able to ground the ball in there own in goal from a kick they are rewarded with a twenty metre restart.

You are allowed to strike at the play the ball.

every forward must pack in his proper position from a scrum.

kick and regather means you receive 6 again.

40/20 with line breaks ie if you make a line break inside your own 40 and get tackled inside the oppositions 20 you get a restart of the tackle count.

really though in my opinion the powerplay is so so dumb there is no reason for it. we used to have a power play it was called the referee having balls and sending someone to the sin bin or sending someone off.

even the 8 point try was a better idea.

nadera78

Juniors
Powerplay is the dumbest idea i have ever heard of. An absolutely farcical suggestion.

Six to go seems ok, but I don't see how it improves on the current situation. In fact, the attacking team will lose out because currently the kick downfield and start a new set there. This just means they lose the advantage.

20-40 is another dumb idea. It will just lead to more kicking to touch, which is what we all criticise rahrah for.

Raiderdave

First Grade

if this peanut doesn't like it
then it must be pure genius ;-)

bobmar28

Bench
All Stars is already a joke & something I wouldn't bother to watch. A glorified, novelty trial game. Then again I suppose there are some people who like 20/20 cricket ...

There are a few people who like 20/20 cricket. 40,000 at the game I took my kids to at ANZ a while back.
The All Stars game? I wouldn't miss it and going by the ratings, neither would a lot of other people. Some joke.

Latest posts