What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Powerlifting: Dead lifts, Benchpress and Squats

adamkungl

Immortal
I do a pretty all round routine over the week, bench press, bicep curls, stomach exercises and squats get the most attention

macavity

Referee
im doing an all round program at the moment - 1x cardio, 1x chest and back, 1x arms, 1x shoulders (my weak point) and 1x legs per weekday morning, and fat burn (walk the dog) every arvo.

about to change up to drop some more weight (hopefully)...

I'm currently doing 4x10 rep sets. bench 90kg and squat 130kg.

I dont do dead lifts as I have 2 herniated discs (hence the need for weight loss...)

im 6'2 111kg, have dropped 10kg in past 12 months, while adding a fair bit to my lifts (from a low base). want to get under 100kg then switch to power.

interested if anyone has any shoulder tips. I am a fair size across the shoulders, just weak as piss over head.

Valderon

Juniors
Before I went overseas about a month ago I had been training for 2-3 months consistently doing the starting strength 5x5 program for rugby league this year.

At the last week I trained my highest for these lifts were:

Squat - 112.5kg
Bench - 80kg
Deadlift - 110kg

All of these were 5 sets for 5 reps with the exception of deadlifts (1x5).

Tomorrow I start training again at a much reduced weight as well as sprinting/endurance.

Cool - How old are you? , how tall are you? , and how much do you weigh?? ....

Valderon

Juniors
but these three lifts are the foundation of my training routine along with other compound lifts and a few isolation.

Wise choice too. Those three lifts, in addition to Chins and Rows (chin ups / bent rows) are the 5 core lifts that should be in everyones workouts..!

Do you mind if I ask you what you train for?? a sport? or just for your own strength/power reasons??.

Valderon

Juniors
im doing an all round program at the moment - 1x cardio, 1x chest and back, 1x arms, 1x shoulders (my weak point) and 1x legs per weekday morning, and fat burn (walk the dog) every arvo.

about to change up to drop some more weight (hopefully)...

I'm currently doing 4x10 rep sets. bench 90kg and squat 130kg.

I dont do dead lifts as I have 2 herniated discs (hence the need for weight loss...)

im 6'2 111kg, have dropped 10kg in past 12 months, while adding a fair bit to my lifts (from a low base). want to get under 100kg then switch to power.

interested if anyone has any shoulder tips. I am a fair size across the shoulders, just weak as piss over head.

Great to see a "heavy" person lifting weights to lose body mass. Well done on your efforts so far. So many people think cardio is the way to lose weight; though, while it's necessary, it's not optimal.

If you don't mind me making a suggestion; your chest and back are such big muscle groups that I'd probably pair them with arms, rather than have arms on a full day on their own . Generally speaking your "arms" are secondary movers in a majority of the lifts you perform for your chest, or back exercises; hence why they're often paired as chest/triceps, or chest/biceps with back/triceps, or back/biceps - depending - This just means you'll be-able to hit your back (and chest) with more intensity; hence yield greater gains; without impacting your current arm gains.

Martli

Coach
Wise choice too. Those three lifts, in addition to Chins and Rows (chin ups / bent rows) are the 5 core lifts that should be in everyones workouts..!

Do you mind if I ask you what you train for?? a sport? or just for your own strength/power reasons??.

For fun, pretty much. My main thing is music so there's no athletic need other than being in shape, and I happen to find weight-training to be the most enjoyable method of doing this.

Snoochies

First Grade
Great topic, be great to hear other opinions and views on what works and doesn't work.

Am starting a new routine this week and be good to get some advice or thoughts.

Recently I have been doing Pyramid training which is basically a set of 12,10,8,6 then drop back a weight and pump out 2 sets of 12 with the second set of 12 being a different exercise for the same muscle group and no rest between the 2 sets of 12. The lactic build up was insane, but boredom has gotten the better of me.

In regards to the exercises. ( I am 103 kg)

BP - 110kg max
Squat - 140kg max, but prefer the 45 degree leg press which I could get 280kg for 6 reps.
Deadlifts - never tried them to be honest but is apart of my new routine.

My goal is to lose fat whilst maintaining muscle and am looking at doing weights on Monday and Wednesday and on Friday and doing a Body weight routine from MMA trainer Bas Rutten called the all round workout, basically half an hour non stop workout using pushups, sit ups, lunges, jumping squats, jumping knee lifts and on the other days to incorporate 30 min boxing sessions with some sprint work afterwards.

My main problem is I find it very hard to lose fat and very easy to put on muscle so hopefully this extra cardio will help out and also not drinking as many beers.

Sorry for long post.

adamkungl

Immortal
im 173cm, 71kg

benching 70kg
squat 110kg
bicep curl 20kg

mainly training to build up for footy season, last time I played I was simply not fit, strong, or big enough

adamkungl

Immortal
i aim for 5 x 6 on all of them, then up the weight.

bench press im close to upping the weight
squats i just started on this weight, working my way up
same with bicep curls

Snoochies

First Grade
Just attempted seated DB Shoulder press tonight for the first time and didn't realise how much different it is compared to the seated machine press. I was doing 70kg for 12 reps on the machine so I figured that I'd attempt 22.5kg in each hand for a DB press and my shoulders nearly fell off and had one of those embarrassing moments in the gym where there was nowhere to hide.:oops:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Just attempted seated DB Shoulder press tonight for the first time and didn't realise how much different it is compared to the seated machine press. I was doing 70kg for 12 reps on the machine so I figured that I'd attempt 22.5kg in each hand for a DB press and my shoulders nearly fell off and had one of those embarrassing moments in the gym where there was nowhere to hide.:oops:

22.5 is pretty ambitious with the dumbells

you need to use different muscles just to balance the weights where as the machine does alot of that for you

macavity

Referee

I am doing 20kg in each hand on seated DB shoulder. 4x10 rep. its a killer, my least favorite exercise (hate it even more than squat)

there is this absolute freak at the gym I train at - small guy, not cut, but is pressing 32kg in each hand over his head with the same intensity that I am doing 20.

thanks for the tips valderon - I will give it a go.

so what does everyone focus on? bar, pin load or db? I do mostly db stuff to activate the stabilisers... and also I havent got a training partner and i'm a bit paranoid about dropping a bar on my head.

Snoochies

First Grade
22.5 is pretty ambitious with the dumbells

you need to use different muscles just to balance the weights where as the machine does alot of that for you

Yeah found that out the hard way. It's amazing how much more you can do on the machine, plus the machine you sit back on a bit of an angle but on the seat it was 90 degrees.

Johns Magic

Referee
Yeah free weights work your stabilisers more because you have to balance the weight at the same time. Basically you can't cheat.

It's why you can benchpress a higher weight than you can dumbell bench.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
and you normally dont see the serious body builders using the machines

GuardDog

Juniors
great thread guys n gals i love incorporating the big 3 lifts into my regime along with weighted pull ups and bent over rows along with the odd isolation lifts eg curls/tricep push downs
i work on slow incrament progression eg 5kg increases to avoid injury
bench 42.5kg dumbells(no need for spotter)
squat 180kg for last 3 sets of 5 for 5 reps
deadlift 205kg
pull ups w/ a 15 kg plate linked to a belt 5x5
i enjoy doing this routine as i feel it will put me in good stead for a strong back and legs when i hit my 40s which isnt far away now im 38yo
current weight 99-100kg height172cm and recently added jogging/running to my weekly routine and struggling:D