What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pre-Season Training

Quigs

Immortal
B1eo9-9CEAAQn_x.jpg

I like the idea of Price assisting Fphlenough as Coach.

I've always believed in the old saying - Two heads and one chin are better than one.

Qld-Sharkie

Juniors
You can laugh at these blokes but at least they were mates.

Too bad if a Flanno doesn't like his new assistant that was personally selected for him. I'm sure many don't like Price.

I'm prepared to give him a run - at least he's experienced in the heat of first grade.

So is Ricky Stuart Cardy.

ghoti

Bench
Price is a proven assistant coach, failed head coach. He's employed as an assistant coach. I'm happy to reserve judgement for now. Remembering that Sharpe was an unsuccesful head coach at NRL level and most on here were constantly packing boners for him prior to 'I don't want this job'-gate, then I reckon it's premature to be shitting on him

Weaponhead

Coach
Price is a proven assistant coach, failed head coach. He's employed as an assistant coach. I'm happy to reserve judgement for now. Remembering that Sharpe was an unsuccesful head coach at NRL level and most on here were constantly packing boners for him prior to 'I don't want this job'-gate, then I reckon it's premature to be shitting on him

Fair enough. My concern is that both Flanagan and Price haven't shown ability to coach smart attacking football. Both have tended to go with attritional, grinding game plans. Hope to be proven wrong because grind won't get us near the good sides.

ghoti

Bench
I'm not sure if I totally agree...smart attacking football yeah, but I d idn't really see much more flash out of the Bulldogs, Roosters, Penrith or Melbourne teams this year than what we showed in 2012 and 2013 under Flanno (albeit with Carney's flashes) and they were all premiership contenders. I DID see a lot of flash out of flash out of Parramatta and the Warriors who failed to make the eight. ..

This 'new rules call for expansive play' myth is just that I think. The top teams are those who can gain momentum through dominant rucks, possession and territory, the same way it has under almost any era of the game. I agree that we need SOME ability to attack expansively, but I don't think that it's necessary to push for a premiership.

Fair enough. My concern is that both Flanagan and Price haven't shown ability to coach smart attacking football. Both have tended to go with attritional, grinding game plans. Hope to be proven wrong because grind won't get us near the good sides.

I agree with you to a certain extent, however I think you have a very short memory.

I beg to differ, I recall Price getting the Stains to play open attacking football against us to counter our grinding style in recent years. the game that sticks out for me was the Wollongong game in 2012, where they threw the ball around like a hot potato and ended up winning it 18-12. They did much the same in the Shark Park game in 2013. It was the right strategy at the time to beat us.

You can laugh at these blokes but at least they were mates.

Too bad if a Flanno doesn't like his new assistant that was personally selected for him. I'm sure many don't like Price.

I'm prepared to give him a run - at least he's experienced in the heat of first grade.

Do you know for sure that Flanno didnt personally select him?

Card Shark

Immortal
card shark=NFI

Whatever mate.

Flanno has been banned from any contact with the club & was in strife for having contact when he attended a game early in the suspension.

If he selected him, he's broken the rules again.

Yes but "officially" Price didn't start until yesterday, the same day as Flanno.
It's not like Flanagan to break a rule or two.....

Card Shark

Immortal
Yes but "officially" Price didn't start until yesterday, the same day as Flanno.
It's not like Flanagan to break a rule or two.....

I'm not naive enough to think he didn't know about the " enquiries" with price but surely the club wouldn't be silly enough to involve him.

CB4 reckons the club signed Ennis without Flanno's knowledge , it's feasible we did the same with Price....but yes, unlikely we didn't break the rules.

Eion

First Grade
We would have been beyond stupid in not involving flanno on the quiet in the appointment of price. It really is not at all hard to organise this through a 3rd party and I hope we did.

Latest posts