What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Prelim vs. Manly Discussion + Votes

Mr Fourex

Bench
I'm sure after a couple of days the sun will shine again. We had a terrific season....surpassed everyone's (including my own) expectations IMO

F*cking Hayne and Maxwell killed us in the 1st 30 mins. Manly piggy backed to a 16-0 lead was always going to be a huge ask

but we were beaten by a better team. Manly's halves pairing was the expected difference and it proved true.

The difference between Wallace and DCE is day and night. Pete needed to bring the side together

he failed.

Every negativity that was still lingering in my mind about Wallace came out ten fold in his performance tonight. Even his tentative kicking for the wingers looked decidedly worse than usual

I don't want to think about next year yet....it's too early. I know we've got a good side there

but the 6 & 7 is a huge worry.

Big Pete

Referee
Lockyer would have failed next to Gillett tonight.

Hunt had to feature in the halves at some point.

AuDragon

Juniors
Lockyer would have failed next to Gillett tonight.

Hunt had to feature in the halves at some point.
I agree, and Locky didn't do any better in 2009 under the same circumstances...

I just hope this was the last experience with a f**king backrower in the halves. IT DOES NOT WORK!

Dazzat

First Grade
I agree, and Locky didn't do any better in 2009 under the same circumstances...

I just hope this was the last experience with a f**king backrower in the halves. IT DOES NOT WORK!

What is it with coaches and playing backrowers in the halves? They never learn. When the defense knows where the ball is going on tackles four and five ... anyone is going to struggle ... Benji, Lockyer, Thurston ... whoever.

Rich102

Staff member
Yep I am very pround of the boys not many expected us to make the 8 let alone be in week 3 of the finals. But I must say now that we are this close to sending out locky a champ like he is I would love to see us push on and meat our number 1 enemy over the years the storm in the grand final.

Even for a ten year old your use of english is atrocious.

Well done Broncos - just wasn't your year.

Last edited:
Just wasn't our night.

Poor 5th tackle options, forwards struggled with the quick Manly line, we didn't take our opportunities and they did. Referee didn't help, but you can't pin that poor performance on them. Thaty loss folks, was all Broncos.

Some plusses though. Jack Reed looked good as did Yow yeh, he just didnt get enough time to fly. Hala looked the goods when he finally came on. Thaiday showed patches of fantastic leadership. McCullough is coming on in leaps and bounds. Alex Glenn went ok. Beale had another night he might like to forget, but it was good to see him chime in toward the end, and Copley redeemed himself...sort of.

overall, not the worst performance, but we never looked like a chance to be honest. bring on 2012.

Micistm

Bench
Comisserations guys, you've been a good team to watch this year, but it seemed last night just didn't go your way. We were bearing the brunt of the Hayne/Maxwell 'lets ref just one side' thing last week and feel your pain.
If the Warriors win tonight, I reckon we have the Broncs game just as much as the tigers one to thank- you taught us a lesson in finals footy, one game at a time and not to get ahead of yourselves...
And tribute to Lockyer. Sad way for such a great player to go out, but I raise my glass to 'em.
Best of luck in '12 (except when vs the Warriors of course ;-) )!

AceAv

Juniors
Thx micitism. But the crapintyre system fails again, and tonight we will see a well rested Melbourne side with an almost perfect 6,7,9,1 combo topple the warriors.

As much as I think manly & Melbourne deserve to be in the GF. There must be a more fairer advantage given than 2 weeks off! That's just creating 2 divisions in the finals...

JB538

Juniors
Was Ballins try a double movement? i know the ball hit the turf before the line but i don't think the arm did. Gee the refs were confident with their decisions, i think we only went to video ref once?
those two first penalties within minutes were a joke, haven't seen that all year.

Snappy

Coach
Why was Hala in the team, when he didnt even come on until the 73rd minute when the game was already gone.

We struggled up the middle last night. Surely if you have a prop on the bench, he needs to come on earlier than that. Wasted IMO.

Maybe Carlaw or someone else that give give us more minutes would have been a better option.

Chainshada

Juniors
I prefer Hala to Carlaw..not really his fault he only got 7 minutes of game time..I get the feeling with Civo's guidance next year he could be a monster.

As much as the Broncos were outplayed last night, if they hadn't shot themselves in the foot repeatedly (Copley), it could've come down to the last couple of minutes. If they can outplay us like that and there's only a 12pt difference, I don't see them beating Storm unless they suffer a lot of injuries/suspensions tonight.

Mr Fourex

Bench
Why was Hala in the team, when he didnt even come on until the 73rd minute when the game was already gone.

We struggled up the middle last night. Surely if you have a prop on the bench, he needs to come on earlier than that. Wasted IMO.

Maybe Carlaw or someone else that give give us more minutes would have been a better option.

I'm not really sure you can heap the blame for that on Hala. Griff is the one that didn't put him on until late in the 2nd half

Hala ran 47m in 6 mins

Anderson ran 35m in 23 mins .......?

It was one of those games when things just went against us and even the experienced blokes coughed up an error or two. A lot of ifs and maybes could have provided a different result.......unfortunately they don't count.

A quick look at the stats and you can see we weren't that far out of it. Just needed a couple of big plays when we had the opportunity in their 20.

Sounds like a busted record but we have been lacking creativity all year......last night we paid the price for it.

DeeJ

Bench
I'm not really sure you can heap the blame for that on Hala. Griff is the one that didn't put him on until late in the 2nd half

Hala ran 47m in 6 mins

Anderson ran 35m in 23 mins .......?

Can't compare the two. Hala came on when the game was done and got easy meters and played a bit wider. Griffin obviously doesn't trust his experience or fitness levels for a big game like this.

Snappy

Coach
Im not blaming Hala. He's a beast and no doubt he has a big future. But all games he's been on lately he's only been coming on late in the game for limited minutes.

In the big games that's a waste of a bench player IMO.

AuDragon

Juniors
Griffin has been a godsend to us, but I wish he was less conservative in his approach. Then again, it may very well have been the reason we got so far...

I hope with one year experience under the belt, this team gains confidence and we become more creative in attack.

But whatever happens if we reach the finals, leave our playmakers alone! 3 years in a row missing a halve in the finals is enough! :crazy:

AceAv

Juniors
Thx micitism. tonight we will see a well rested Melbourne side with an almost perfect 6,7,9,1 combo topple the warriors.

I eat my words and say WD Warriors. Best effort in years.... :O :shock:

Hope you take it all the way and thank you for doing what Brisbane couldn't do in 2008 cos I think Melb woulda just lost to Manly easily again.

Great year pplz

The Crane

Juniors
Yeah good year. It's such a let down because it is Locky's last year. But at the beginning, not many people thought we would come this close.

Big Pete

Referee
3. Corey Parker
2. Ben Te'o
1. Sam Thaiday

I should get back to watching the game, but those were my votes on first view. We were actually better in the middle.

Latest posts