What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Premiership Favorites = Wests Tigers

Beachy Eagle

Juniors
Brisbane and the Storm are probably the favorites.
Followed by a line of clubs..... Manly, Tigers, Cowboys, Dragons, Warriors.

Red Bear

Referee
I love the way the Warriors play but am not convinced they can go all the way this year. They are primed for next couple of seasons, however

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
no.

There is a bit of an air of 2005 about this season (6 of the 8 teams in this years finals series were in the 2005 finals)

But the game is more about dominant control of the ruck today than in 2005 (where fast play the balls were so much more damaging and the Tigers mastered them better than anyone else then)

Its hard to go past Melbourne. Any team with quality 1,6,7 and 9 is going to be tough to beat, and they come no better than Slater, Widdop, Cronk and Smith

Bench
Will the Tigers play more conservative footy in the finals, imo they need to play their brand of football because it worries teams like Manly and Melbourne.
That is the worry,I think they need to play their natural game to have any chance,everytime they try and play conservative they look awful.

nrlnrl

First Grade
The last 4 rounds beating nuffies might seem good for their win streak & points differential, but not an ideal prep for tough games in the finals. I don't think they'll even make the grand final, so they would not be my favourites for the premiership. I reckon it'll be a Storm v Broncos gf. ( not original I know, but just responding to the thread title )

Crusher

Coach
As a Manly supporter I will say that I agree there is a sniff of 2005 in the air for the Tigers. The true test will be week one of finals if they finish 5th come up against Warriors in NZ.

Billythekid

First Grade
I think the tigers are more than capable of grinding out wins. Look at how they beat Manly and the Dragons, both low scoring affairs dominated by the forward packs and kicking games.

The tigers are very different from 2005 and their forward pack can go toe to toe with anyone.

Their advantage is that unlike some teams in the top 8 they can really turn on the flair when they want too.

They shouldn't be favourites but i certainly don't want to face them.

HowHigh

Coach
The top 7 can win it. Knights or rabbitohs are no chance, but the rest on their day can beat any team.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Tigers cant win it...

They are rubbish...

I think the Dragons will be hard to beat given their recent form...

snoozer

Bench
i cant see the tiges winning 4 games straight against the top 8 teams.

so no.

melb def favourites. manly, broncs in the mix.

cows and kiwi's i rate like the tiges.

knights i don't rate at all.

MacDougall

First Grade
Much like how in 2005 the Tigers won simply because they were lucky not to have to play Parramatta or Melbourne in the finals, if they can avoid Brisbane I'd say they're a good shot. They're the only team that I literally can't see the Tigers beating.