What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pressure-on-knights-to-retain-back-rowers

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
This would be a huge problem losing these guys from our squad, in the rebuilding position we're in just now we really need to keep our guys who are established first graders. I know Tariq has been a bit up and down but he's definitely a first grade quality player and if Brown can iron out the ill discipline in his game it'll take him to the next level.

Also given Jeremy Smith must be in his last season now if we lost these two we would effectively lose our entire back row which would be devastating and would basically set us back another few years from where we are now.

Still Nutty

Juniors
I like the fact that Rochow has stated that he wants to hold off on negotiations until he can prove his worth (to the club) going forward...that at least shows he is prepared to stuimp up on his performances now and wear the consequences if he doesn't step up. And if he does lift to another level then we will have to negotiate on that performance, which is fair enough.

On Tariq - why have we negotiated a contract with the option in his favour??? Regardless of this though, I'd have to hope that Brown's effect over this next 6 months and Korbin being secured longer term might at least give us some leverage when it comes to negotiations with him for next season and beyond.

Frederick

Staff member
Tariq has come out recently and said that he wants to stay for the rest of his career

Tariq has come out recently and said that he wants to stay for the rest of his career

Yeah he has just bought a house, has a young family and said korbin being here is his safety blanket. I dont think we would have to pay overs to keep him tbh. He seems quite settled.

Burwood

Bench
It's easier keeping guys like Tariq compared to Tapine because they have a young family and are a bit more settled in life. Money is important for them, but they also understand the value of living somewhere like Newcastle compared to chasing the dollars or moving to a big city like Sydney. The amount of players who came here in their 30s and never left is a good advertisement for the Newcastle lifestyle.

Tariq has made in painfully clear he is not going anywhere unless the club asks him to go. See that's the frustrating thing for us supporters. Once outside players arrive here they fall in love with the place. They mostly only leave for massive money we can't get near. No other reason. Except Darius and Leilua. Tapine got lucky.

slotmachine

First Grade
Tariq is on a sweet deal. Big big money and doesn't have to play the first quarter of any season. Why would he leave.

Makes sense for older players to stay in newcastle. Players could buy a beachside mansion in newy for the price of a 2 bedroom apartment in sydney.

harrywilliams

Juniors
Pay overs for a backrower that wouldn't start in any other team's pack except for maybe the Tigers and Titans? This is why we're in the cap crisis we're in now. Rochow is not the player we need to be throwing everything at, crazy talk. Yes make a good offer but if he walks there's plenty of other top forwards on the market for 2017 along with some good young forwards in our system.

Last edited:

macavity

Referee
We wont be paying overs for anyone. Brown will see to that and has proven it already

They havE their valuation system and stay true to it. It is a solid idea and system.

Unfortunately for us to get anywhere worth going it needs to be supplemented by growing (and more importantly, keeping) those over the top talents. We haven't done that in a long time, and are ill equipped to do so under the current salary cap/rort situation.

Until They fix the cap (never going to happen) or we have a similar amount to spend as other teams, 10th is going to be a good season.

Spot On

Coach
We wont be paying overs for anyone. Brown will see to that and has proven it already

This is what I was hoping Brown would stick to. Then we read Tapine was offered 366K a season. To me that was offering decent overs for him. I might have this totally wrong but I wouldn't want us offering much more than that figure for Rochow and Sims. If they were playing rep footy it would be a no brainer but they aren't and I don't think they will.

I accept the situation Macavity outlines but Brown must balance our cap first and be very, very careful about which players he pays some overs to and which ones he simply says take it or leave it to. Obviously next year we have a 500K winger leaving or taking a massive pay cut to stay and that will give us a few hundred thousand to play with from 2018. Possibly McManus' money less his replacement's contract as well.

Anyone know how much Smith signed for this year?

Last edited:
The thing is, there isnt one player in our team that should get overs, except gagai. Almost everyone else is a solid first grader or fringe first grader.

Latest posts