What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price - 5 game test

getsmarty

Immortal
High price for failing, says Coops

By MITCH JENNINGS

Feb. 21, 2014, 3:08 a.m.

• w1200_h678_fmax.jpg
    Matt Cooper

RUGBY LEAGUE
St George Illawarra great Matt Cooper believes Dragons coach Steve Price will be a man under pressure should his side fail to fire early in the 2014 season.
Cooper, who retired last year after 243 games for the club, told Sportsmate Mobile's League Live app that only a strong performance in the early rounds of the competition would silence those who doubt Price's ability to restore the Dragons as a premiership force.
"Price has had a hard run over the last couple of seasons, and there will be a lot of pressure on him to perform in the first couple of games," Cooper wrote.
"Every coach has pressure on them, but after the more recent results and final placings of the Dragons - especially following their 2010 premiership - there has been added pressure on Price to perform.
"I think if the Dragons do not perform well in the opening five or six games, the board will be pressured to have a look at the coaching staff. Here's hoping the Dragons win the first couple of games so that this issue doesn't even raise its ugly head."
Price has been forced to make do with an ageing roster he inherited from premiership-winning coach Wayne Bennett in his first two years in the job.
Following an off-season recruitment drive that's netted Gareth Widdop, Sam Williams, Dylan Farrell and Joel Thompson, Price finally has the side he feels can meet the Dragons faithful's famously high expectations.
Cooper said the club's new halves pairing of Williams and Widdop will be key to returning the Dragons to the NRL finals.
"After losing [Ben] Hornby in 2012 and [Jamie] Soward and [Nathan] Fien in 2013, the Dragons needed to recruit well in the halves," Cooper said. "I believe they have done this in Widdop and Williams.
"Widdop is a great ball runner who will take on the line, while Williams is a young, up-and- coming half who has a great kicking game.
"Once these guys have found their feet we'll see a bigger and better Dragons side."

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/2102956/high-price-for-failing-says-coops/?cs=302

Losing to Parra and Tigers last season wasn't bad enough, they want more losses to justify that this guy can't coach. It's so sad because it is so damn obvious but the board stilll can't see it.

Sheens and Browny are good choices but Jason Taylor would also be a good choice imo. He played a pretty big role in the Roosters last season and Saints should have taken note and approached him staright after the GF and given him a full off season.

Yep, Taylor is surely the best credentialed of the assistant NRL coaches out there. He'd get my vote.

No to Brown or Sheens, either of which would indicate a backwards approach to the issue.

TruSaint

Referee
IF, this is all true, what apathetic standard we set for the Club. 1 from 5 ?
So we need to be on 2 points by round six... thats our min goal?

Beat the spoon fav's ( Wests), get over the line against a club who's future and its players is in limbo ( Sharks ), and your home...

Ronald Mcdonald could achieve that.

Minh

First Grade
This might not be popular but Brian Smith might be the man for the job if Price fails. Smith is known to fix a underachieving club and he has brains- a great footy brain, the only concern is player management as after a couple of seasons things can go stale. There might also be an element of unfinished business with Saints too.

hardbaby

Coach
This might not be popular but Brian Smith might be the man for the job if Price fails. Smith is known to fix a underachieving club and he has brains- a great footy brain, the only concern is player management as after a couple of seasons things can go stale. There might also be an element of unfinished business with Saints too.

Minh it can't be Brian Smith. I agree with your analysis. He does have a proven record of fixing under-performing sides. But he also has a proven record of being average in the second season and being booted out shortly thereafter.

The 2014 side is decent. We finally have creative halves. We have an amazing back three. We have some young talented forwards. We have depth in the centres. The guts of a good side is there.

We just need to flick the coach, sign Fifita or Matulino and sign an edge back rower. Then we are totally back in the hunt, assuming our younger players flourish. But Smith is the wrong guy for us. We need a three year plan. Top 8 (and giving it a shake) in 2015. Top 4 in 2016. Win in 2017. So we need a coach that will go the distance.

TruSaint

Referee
Brian Smith took us to 2 conseq GF's against a near SOO Broncos side.
He took Parra to within 40 minutes of a premiership, when Joey ripped them in the first half.
Agree he has moved around, and can ruffle some feathers, but we need a hard task master.

If you want discipline, you have it in Smith.
He would need support within the organisation totally, otherwise, as you say, he has proven to pack up and go.

hardbaby

Coach
In truth, the coach I would most likely support would be the guy who has the greatest ability to act independently. That was Bennett's greatest attribute. Doust, Young, McGregor etc just need to stay the f**k away from the team.

Minh

First Grade
Minh it can't be Brian Smith. I agree with your analysis. He does have a proven record of fixing under-performing sides. But he also has a proven record of being average in the second season and being booted out shortly thereafter.

The 2014 side is decent. We finally have creative halves. We have an amazing back three. We have some young talented forwards. We have depth in the centres. The guts of a good side is there.

We just need to flick the coach, sign Fifita or Matulino and sign an edge back rower. Then we are totally back in the hunt, assuming our younger players flourish. But Smith is the wrong guy for us. We need a three year plan. Top 8 (and giving it a shake) in 2015. Top 4 in 2016. Win in 2017. So we need a coach that will go the distance.

You make some good points HB, like TruSaint I reckon we need a proven hard task master and Smith is one of those. True he can ruffle some feathers and there is a risk of causing player disharmony but when you look at that 2001 Parramatta coached team it must have been one of the best teams I ever saw in a season's performance. Unfortunately for Smith he has been bridesmaid so often. With his talent he deserve to have one or two premiership rings.

mmap dragons

Juniors
Based upon his dismal failure last season, The Chinless one should have been punted at the end of last season. Although I'd love to be proven wrong, The bloke at the helm doesn't have the capacity to lead the club to the heights of his predecessor.

Minh

First Grade
On a side note also the 1992, 1993 Saints teams were not the most talented but we had some well coached hard nosed forwards that were willing to smash the opposition and they had the presence only a well coached team can possess. We had a sprinkling of talent in the backline led by Coyne, Beattie, Potter and Walford. But up against Julian O'neil, Willy Carne, Michael Hancock, Steve Renouf, Chris Johns, Walters, Alfie, we were able to compete and actually beat them in the late season game in 1993 from what I remember.

Damo!

Juniors

Personally, I'd like to see Smith come back. But I'd like to see him come in as Mr fix-it and to train the coach who will keep us competitive for years to come (Taylor?).

Kinda the opposite of Bennett. Come in and steady the ship, rather than win a premiership then go.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Brian Smith has got to 4 GF's losing 3 of those to Bennett. Enough said. If he wins those 3 Smith would be super coach and Bennet out of a job like he is. If Saints can't get Bennett then 2nd best in Smithy should be next in line.

Smithy would be ideal for Saints. And he does have a habbit of producing good assistant coaches like Jason Taylor and I think Robinson was an assistant at one stage when he was at the Roosters.

With the players Saints have in their books they would be ideal for a Smithy coached team. Dugan may be the only issue as he demands alot of discipline and if players don't like it they act up e.g Tim Smith, Anasta, Riddell, Buderus.

Plus, Smithy did say when he lost to the Dragons in 2010 that if there was any team he did not mind losing to in a GF it was the Dragons. He loves the club and bringing him back will let him finish what he started earlier in his career.

Cagey Mac

Bench
Brian Smith has got to 4 GF's losing 3 of those to Bennett. Enough said. If he wins those 3 Smith would be super coach and Bennet out of a job like he is. If Saints can't get Bennett then 2nd best in Smithy should be next in line.

Smithy would be ideal for Saints. And he does have a habbit of producing good assistant coaches like Jason Taylor and I think Robinson was an assistant at one stage when he was at the Roosters.

With the players Saints have in their books they would be ideal for a Smithy coached team. Dugan may be the only issue as he demands alot of discipline and if players don't like it they act up e.g Tim Smith, Anasta, Riddell, Buderus.

Plus, Smithy did say when he lost to the Dragons in 2010 that if there was any team he did not mind losing to in a GF it was the Dragons. He loves the club and bringing him back will let him finish what he started earlier in his career.

It's a plausible argument Slippery but Smith brought divisiveness to several clubs later in his career without success.

Like Smith, Hassler was a teacher, Toovey a CPA. Ted Glossop was a headmaster from memory. You need organisational and people skills. Hard to maintain both through a long career

kit66

Bench
Rugby League News. They said Macgregor and Young would take over short term and they'll go after Sheen or Brown. Not too happy that they'd go after those two blokes.

I think Young has sucked enough out of the Dragons off his dad's name. I'd be f*@#ing livid if he walked into a head coaching role in first grade. He barely earned himself a position in the team and has certainly done f-all to deserve a gig as coach.

kit66

Bench
A bit out of left field but......while we're wildly speculating......
Get Brian Smith or another recognized coach for 2 or 3 years, sign up Cameron Smith for the next year or two and have him trained at the same time to take over as coach in 2 to 3 years, I think he'd make a great coach one day ( not to mention getting a year or two of having a class hooker / world's best player ).

dragonreddy

Juniors
I think Young has sucked enough out of the Dragons off his dad's name. I'd be f*@#ing livid if he walked into a head coaching role in first grade. He barely earned himself a position in the team and has certainly done f-all to deserve a gig as coach.

I think they meant Craig Young ,Dean definately wouldnt be up to First grade coach level for a while.Have to say even ALBERT'S methods of coaching might be getting a bit long in the tooth as well, and thats no slight on what he has done for this club as STGI and ALSO ST GEORGE but things change and you have to move with it.

possm

Coach

I think they are refering to Craig Young (dad).

For me Sheens and Smith on a two year contract is what our Club needs. We need someone to get the Club in shape and to make the Dragons competitive again.

Price has no idea and will prove to be hopeless again this season. From what I saw in the 9s competition, our players seemed flat, unfit and disorganized. There seemed to be no game plan and no combinations in attack or defence; same as last season. Let's see what Saturday night brings and we will all know what we are in for this season.

Latest posts