What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price - 5 game test

epDragon62

First Grade
Price has had enough time to prove his coaching ability. If he produced an organised and well drilled team of players who were competitive in the majority of games and if Price produced well selected squads with a good game plan, I don't think people would be so upset with him.

In my opinion the fans and the Club have been very generous to Price and really given his obvious lack of even limited success over the past two seasons, Price should have stepped aside prior to the end of last season.

Can't argue...

pinkmoon

Juniors
That's the thing about Price isn't it...

It's not the fact that we haven't been winning, it's more the manner in which we haven't been winning. If you could see the potential and promise in his coaching (a la Nathan Brown), then an average finish would be tolerated initially, but a complete lack of enterprise and strategy has gradually broken the spirit of even the most ardent of Dragons supporters.

kit66

Bench
I've pointed this out before but I'll say it again. Last year we won 7 games and lost 17. Of the 17 we lost 8 games were lost by 6 points or less. I believe we lost those close games because we lacked quality players in our most important positions, namely our spine ( our centres also weren't the best apart from Coops when he played ) and couldn't score those few extra points ( often one try ) to get over the line.
Price isn't the best coach around, obviously but last year can't be piled on his shoulders alone. We had a pretty ordinary squad, that's a fact some overlook. Maybe Bennett or Bellamy could have got us a few more wins but even they would have struggled to get us into the 8 which would have been an over-achievement in my opinion.
I'm prepared to give Price a chance with virtually a new side and I'm betting he has a lot more success this year.
If he fails then that's the end of his coaching career I'd say. I'm hoping he proves everyone wrong.

Gomarchin

Juniors
I hope I'm proven wrong but we will struggle this year and will do well to avoid the spoon.

Not only do we have a poor coach but our forwards will be a major weakness this year.

getsmarty

Immortal
Price warns Dragons of Burgess 'intimidation factor'

By ADAM PENGILLY

Feb. 21, 2014, 10 p.m.

• w1200_h678_fmax.jpg
    Dragons under-20s player Jack Bird, NRL prop Jack de Belin and Illawarra Cutters front-rower Shannon Wakeman before the football feast at WIN Stadium this afternoon. Picture: ORLANDO CHIODO

RUGBY LEAGUE
St George Illawarra coach Steve Price is bracing for a backlash from code-hopping Rabbitoh Sam Burgess, whose year-long rugby league farewell tour begins in the unlikely surrounds of WIN Stadium.
Publicly mute since earlier this week announcing he will switch to rugby union at the end of this year's NRL season, Burgess will make his first appearance of 2014 in the Charity Shield on Saturday night.
And he's set to spearhead a monster Rabbitohs pack, having been paired with younger brother George in the front row, directly opposing the Dragons' manufactured props Ben Creagh and Jack de Belin.

The Burgess brothers tip the scales at a combined 236 kilograms - a whopping 26kg heavier than Dragons skipper Creagh and de Belin, who both spent considerable time in the back row last year.
Price warned his Dragons would have to counter the "intimidation factor" of Burgess and the Bunnies upfront, as Souths eye their third Charity Shield success in the last four years.
"The big Pom will be champing at the bit," Price said. "He hasn't played through the trials and I'm sure he's going to try to bring that intimidation factor.
"He's one helluva player and they have got a big forward pack. It's going to be a great challenge for us to see where we are at.
"The boys can't wait to get out there and it's a really high intensity trial and they always have been. It's a grudge match on this calendar and we can't wait to get out there and put a really good performance in."
Creagh and fellow bookend Dan Hunt will be rolled out of rehab for the first time this preseason after skipping the Dragons' low-key trial against a combined Illawarra Cutters/Mudgee Dragons two weeks ago.
They were also left out of the Red V's travelling squad for the Auckland Nines.
Price, who will parachute "four or five" of the Cutters' better performers from their NSW Cup trial to sit on an extended Dragons bench, said Creagh and Hunt would play a predetermined amount of minutes.
"There will be a number of those forwards which will have a certain amount of game time they'll be required to play and then other guys will be [put] out there to get through it," he said.
"It's not about winning and losing [tonight] ... it's about putting a consistent performance in and gearing towards round one. That's our main focus and hopefully we can do that.
"It will be a good indication of where we are at with all our systems and structures we've implemented throughout the preseason against a very good football team."
Gerard Beale will be the notable omission for the Dragons after aggravating a jaw injury while playing a NSW Cup trial last weekend. Charly Runciman will take his place in the centres.
"He [Runciman] has come through our junior system with the 20s and I thought he was fantastic at the Nines last week in the third game," Price said.
Devout Rabbitohs fan Ed O'Neill, star of Modern Family, is tipped to add some star power to the Charity Shield with a flying visit to Wollongong to watch his beloved Bunnies.
The actor is currently filming an Australian special of the hit TV show.
The Dragons will auction their player-worn Charity Shield jerseys online at the end of this evening's game.
It will be the first time the annual clash has been played outside of Sydney since its inception in 1982.
Auction proceeds will go directly to St George and Wollongong public hospitals, with bidding closing at 9pm on Thursday.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...ragons-of-burgess-intimidation-factor/?cs=302

D4L

Juniors
I've pointed this out before but I'll say it again. Last year we won 7 games and lost 17. Of the 17 we lost 8 games were lost by 6 points or less. I believe we lost those close games because we lacked quality players in our most important positions, namely our spine ( our centres also weren't the best apart from Coops when he played ) and couldn't score those few extra points ( often one try ) to get over the line.
Price isn't the best coach around, obviously but last year can't be piled on his shoulders alone. We had a pretty ordinary squad, that's a fact some overlook. Maybe Bennett or Bellamy could have got us a few more wins but even they would have struggled to get us into the 8 which would have been an over-achievement in my opinion.
I'm prepared to give Price a chance with virtually a new side and I'm betting he has a lot more success this year.
If he fails then that's the end of his coaching career I'd say. I'm hoping he proves everyone wrong.

Agreed.

GT0007

Juniors
This might not be popular but Brian Smith might be the man for the job if Price fails. Smith is known to fix a underachieving club and he has brains- a great footy brain, the only concern is player management as after a couple of seasons things can go stale. There might also be an element of unfinished business with Saints too.

SMITH is not a bad option however he is a bridesmaid, great at getting to Grandfinals but not so much at winning them. I really like the guy and had an hour chat with him about his time at the dragons when he was coaching Parra. I can tell you he has red and white blood and he was upset that he only had a year or so to go and wouldve been the Dragons longest serving coach. I think he commands respect though his people skills have been questioned in the past which is to be expected given the situations he was given in being asked to clean out the deadwood.

Brown I believe is also a good option as he had some good results and was really hampered by a horrendous injury toll while at the Dragons. The other issue was that he played with most of the guys he coached and maybe listened to Gaz and Coops to much in regard to dropping Soward for the finals which cost us dearly as the other guy had a shocker! He is more experienced now and would have more respect and certainly was a smart attacking player in his day which we need.

Sheens best feature is he is the Australian coach and I'm sure all the players would want to play for him, I'm just not sure how well he deals with people if things aren't going well. You only have to see how the Tigers have fallin apart and not yet recovered.

Price in my opinion has 7 games to prove himself not 5 and I think he needs to win 4. Not a huge ask given our Roster but with new combinations it will improve from there, if we can't do 4/7 we wont be competitive under Price. We are still missing one big bopper in the pack and you can't blame Price for that however we have 3 internationals, 1 SOO, 1 under 20's international and a NSW cup SOO player in our backline, in the forwards we have top young talent who have been Junior Kangaroos or Dragons Toyota cup of the year player etc, Merrin (NSW), Creagh (Aus & NSW), Harrison(NZ). There is talent just missing the killer attitude and a little size. Joel Thompson is looking like another Beau Scott/Jeremy Smith

Last season we had the most offloads of any team yet they were ineffective so maybe Price can rectify that by setting up a second phase forward runner in his structure so when the flop back is passed to the next player it is to someone hitting the ball at pace. If there is no offload they just take the next hit up anyway. Why have all these offloads and act surprised and not do anything with it or spin it out the backs for no reason when we can still make metres through the centre and fatigue the defense?

I'm sure Widdop and Williams will threaten the line enough to stop defenses sliding and also straighten our attack as last season we just kept running at the sideline and only on a rare occasion when a player run from outside in did we break the line. Dugan has to be careful not to run his outside players out of room and maybe pass the ball occasionally then he will be fully effective and one of the best players in the comp, tries to do to much on his own.

Last but most importantly, I remember an interview from Hornby I think in 2010 and he said that when someone makes a mistake they lifted to look after their mate and defend the error so their mate didn't cost the team points. Where has that attitude been? We make an error and automatically conceed a try!

I'm still optomistic for this season and believe in the team, we need to find our passion and Price has to stop taking responsibility and demand the players do as their destiny is in their hands, they are the ones on the field!

GT0007

Juniors
Minh it can't be Brian Smith. I agree with your analysis. He does have a proven record of fixing under-performing sides. But he also has a proven record of being average in the second season and being booted out shortly thereafter.

The 2014 side is decent. We finally have creative halves. We have an amazing back three. We have some young talented forwards. We have depth in the centres. The guts of a good side is there.

We just need to flick the coach, sign Fifita or Matulino and sign an edge back rower. Then we are totally back in the hunt, assuming our younger players flourish. But Smith is the wrong guy for us. We need a three year plan. Top 8 (and giving it a shake) in 2015. Top 4 in 2016. Win in 2017. So we need a coach that will go the distance.

We are certainly moving in the right direction with the roster if the attitude each week is there we are going to be a team that you can't take lightly. I've thought for a while 2015 could be our year. I'm pretty sure we are no chance of getting Fifita so hopefully these young guys will step up soon, they are all very young for forwards so we have to be patient

GT0007

Juniors
On a side note also the 1992, 1993 Saints teams were not the most talented but we had some well coached hard nosed forwards that were willing to smash the opposition and they had the presence only a well coached team can possess. We had a sprinkling of talent in the backline led by Coyne, Beattie, Potter and Walford. But up against Julian O'neil, Willy Carne, Michael Hancock, Steve Renouf, Chris Johns, Walters, Alfie, we were able to compete and actually beat them in the late season game in 1993 from what I remember.

Yes we beat them in a controlled performance I think it may have been in the semi's then we played them in the grandfinal and panicked and tried to beat them by throwing the ball around

GT0007

Juniors
Brian Smith has got to 4 GF's losing 3 of those to Bennett. Enough said. If he wins those 3 Smith would be super coach and Bennet out of a job like he is. If Saints can't get Bennett then 2nd best in Smithy should be next in line.

Smithy would be ideal for Saints. And he does have a habbit of producing good assistant coaches like Jason Taylor and I think Robinson was an assistant at one stage when he was at the Roosters.

With the players Saints have in their books they would be ideal for a Smithy coached team. Dugan may be the only issue as he demands alot of discipline and if players don't like it they act up e.g Tim Smith, Anasta, Riddell, Buderus.

I've spoken to Smith and he has Red & White blood and that was when he was coaching the Eels. He's not a bad option, I just hope we don't play Newcastle in the GF lol

Plus, Smithy did say when he lost to the Dragons in 2010 that if there was any team he did not mind losing to in a GF it was the Dragons. He loves the club and bringing him back will let him finish what he started earlier in his career.

GT0007

Juniors
A bit out of left field but......while we're wildly speculating......
Get Brian Smith or another recognized coach for 2 or 3 years, sign up Cameron Smith for the next year or two and have him trained at the same time to take over as coach in 2 to 3 years, I think he'd make a great coach one day ( not to mention getting a year or two of having a class hooker / world's best player ).

Bronco's are already on that and not only don't we have the budget he wants to go back to QLD

GT0007

Juniors
I think Price is going to make fools out of all of you. I think we're going to see a smarter team this year. We've got a pretty good 1-6-7-9. If they play to their potential then we'll do alright. Don't forget Price had three years under the so-called master coach in Bennett. A pretty good apprenticeship let's not forget.
I'm excited about our chances. Bring it on!!!

I hope your right! Worth a mention too that Prices record coaching against Bennett is 4-0!

GT0007

Juniors
Hasler had the team and the resources, was he considered dumb in his first few seasons? He came 14th in year 1.

End of the day I've said it all along I will judge Price this season with this team and not the last two seasons when our club undermined him trying to entice Bellamy over.

Good call!

GT0007

Juniors

You make a great point and I do think also we had some game changing ref decisions cost us victories which happens when u are seen as an undisciplined team. Potentially we couldve made the semi's but I'm relieved we didnt as we wouldve got flogged

jenninga

First Grade
I think Price is going to make fools out of all of you. I think we're going to see a smarter team this year. We've got a pretty good 1-6-7-9. If they play to their potential then we'll do alright. Don't forget Price had three years under the so-called master coach in Bennett. A pretty good apprenticeship let's not forget.
I'm excited about our chances. Bring it on!!!

Price undid all the structures Bennett put in place,hence our soft underbelly returned last season.Yes the spine is a good one,but when AhMau is first choice backrower I question Price's sanity.

D4L

Juniors
"I think if the Dragons do not perform well in the opening five or six games, the board will be pressured to have a look at the coaching staff. Here's hoping the Dragons win the first couple of games so that this issue doesn't even raise its ugly head." - Coops

Are we really 'wildly speculating' or reading a 'bullshit post from Twitter'..... Guess we'll have to wait and see!

Jubileeboy

First Grade
"I think if the Dragons do not perform well in the opening five or six games, the board will be pressured to have a look at the coaching staff. Here's hoping the Dragons win the first couple of games so that this issue doesn't even raise its ugly head." - Coops

Are we really 'wildly speculating' or reading a 'bullshit post from Twitter'..... Guess we'll have to wait and see!

We get what your saying but do you really think it's a secret or wild speculation that Price's job is under the microscope? I thought there may have been enough written about this subject to quantify my comments.
The scoop you are referring to, like many others, has probably eventuated from Twitter dude reading it in here first. Your 'source' is questionable and on par with the great Bunniesman. All good.

Dezziedc

Juniors

Well said kit. I agree, this is often overlooked and something I ranted about last year. I agree that Price may not be the best coach, but he had massive hurdles to overcome last year that were completely out of his control.

I am keen to see what happens tonight, but I am also not pinning my opinion of the rest of the season on tonight's performance. I expect Price to do some experimentation tonight to see which players slot into which positions the best. I'm sure he has a good idea on what players should be in what positions but there are probably still some things he wants to trial. What better time to do that than during this game against one of the better sides.

I hope we do put in a good show, but the result is unimportant. It is a trial match afterall and contributes nothing to the rest of the season. What I want to see is some good combinations starting to take shape and the makings of some good defence. I want to see a team working as a team and working for each other.

bottle

Coach
Most will attest that I am not on the Price hate bandwagon, but be careful with the 'we lost X number of games by 6 points or less' line, as it can be misleading.
We won a few by some small margins as well, some by good fortune.
We finished where we deserved to based on last year's squad and effort.
This year better squad, we must improve, no leeway allowed.

D4L

Juniors
We get what your saying but do you really think it's a secret or wild speculation that Price's job is under the microscope? I thought there may have been enough written about this subject to quantify my comments.
The scoop you are referring to, like many others, has probably eventuated from Twitter dude reading it in here first. Your 'source' is questionable and on par with the great Bunniesman. All good.

No doubt mate the twitter source is questionable, it's a rumour most are, all unsubstantiated. Not really 'my source' just something I came across on Twitter. Problem is you just can't deny it seems to draw a parallel to Coop's recent interview. That's the last point I made.

Last edited:

Latest posts