What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PRICE TO BE SACKED ,McGregor IN

gorilla

First Grade
Dudes, it's way too early to say McGregor's been a success. The team will have to be consistently better for the rest of the season and players like Quinlan, Rein, De Belin, Stockwell, Farrell and Matthews will all need to improve demonstrably to make that sort of call. From now on, we will also have to be seriously competitive against Manly, Easts and every other genuine or even fringe competitor when the stakes are at their highest. We'll also need to see some players axed and some proper forwards recruited with some strategic thinking behind the decisions.

Anyone who replaces a coach that's tanking gets a dead cat bounce. McGregor may prove himself to be a good coach. But he hasn't yet and I'd still be looking for someone with experience.

Yup, we need to watch the U/20s backline (at full player strength) to see the difference in catching and passing for territory.

getsmarty

Immortal
Paul McGregor has what it takes | Trent Merrin

By MITCH JENNINGS

July 16, 2014, 9:23 p.m.

Wayne Bennett runs a Knights training session. He leaves the club in eight weeks. Picture: JONATHAN CARROLL

Injured Dragons forward Trent Merrin compares Paul McGregor to 2010 premiership-winning coach Wayne Bennett, believing he has what it takes to be a long-term success at the NRL club.
Bennett is negotiating a multi-million dollar return to Wollongong next year after he had announced that he would leave Newcastle at season's end.
While Merrin would welcome Bennett's return, he also said McGregor - who replaced Steve Price mid-season - possessed the qualities needed to make the club a premiership force.
"Mary just expects perfection and that's exactly what he gets out of every player. I can see some real comparisons between him and Wayne in the way they manage their players," Merrin said.
"He's someone you can approach and talk to and I think that's when you get the best out of your players, when you become more than the coach you become a mate and someone special like that.
"It's a good trait to have and all the boys buy into it.
"You can see it in the way we've bounced back from a bit of a horror start to the season ... a lot of credit goes to Mary."
It's left Merrin in a "win-win" situation provided either Bennett or McGregor are appointed next season.
However, the Dragons job has previously been linked to former Raiders and Cowboys coach Neil Henry.
A late swoop from the Gold Coast Titans appears to be the only thing stopping Bennett from returning to St George Illawarra.
Bennett's return casts doubt over McGregor's future.
The Dragons won four of their last five matches under McGregor after they were written off as wooden spoon contenders six weeks ago.
The interim rookie coach could mount a more compelling case for the top job if his side can upset competition leaders Manly at Kogarah on Monday.
Merrin - a part of the Dragons 2010 premiership-winning team under Bennett - said the Dragons' performances under McGregor have provided plenty of food for thought as the board looks to decide who should take the club forward.
"I get asked the question about Wayne coming back and it's a hard question to answer now because Mary's such a great coach," Merrin said.
"It'd be great to get Wayne back here but I've got total faith in Mary and everything that's going on at the moment. It's a win-win situation."
A Bennett return would follow a horror season in Newcastle which included a spinal injury suffered by Alex McKinnon.
The injury shocked the rugby league world but few took it harder than Bennett who said he viewed McKinnon as a son.
That reaction came as no surprise to Merrin, a close friend of McKinnon's, who experienced the special bond Bennett creates with his players first-hand.
"It doesn't surprise me at all. That's how close he gets to us as players," Merrin said.
"He's more than a coach.
"People outside the game see him as just a coach but he gets the best out of players because he becomes a mate and he becomes someone you look up to and someone you can call on in tough times.
"He's a father figure and I was so blessed to come into grade with him being my coach and to be blooded into first grade by such a special person," Merrin said.
The NRL will pay tribute to McKinnon with this weekend's 'Rise for Alex' round.
Merrin confirmed he would be a reluctant spectator after he suffered a shoulder injury playing for the Blues during their loss to the Maroons in Origin III.
"I'm close to Alex and with everything that's happened having to miss out on the game that's for him is a bummer but I'll be there in spirit," he said.
"It's inspirational just to see where he's come from and the way he's holding himself.
"He gives nothing but smiles and nothing but inspiration to me as a person and as a player."

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...gregor-has-what-it-takes-trent-merrin/?cs=302

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Can't wait for this Bennett decision to be made. Whoever does get Bennett will surely benefit as he will probably sign his last contract before retirement and want to go out with a bang and if anyone deserves it it is him.

getsmarty

Immortal
Paul McGregor faces crunch time in NRL career

By MITCH JENNINGS

July 22, 2014, 8:38 p.m.

Paul McGregor at Dragons training on Tuesday. Picture: ADAM McLEAN

RUGBY LEAGUE

Without the shadow of Wayne Bennett hanging over him, Paul McGregor is preparing for the most important month of his NRL career.
McGregor is now the front runner for the Dragons job after the Broncos announced on Monday that they had lured their foundation coach back to Brisbane on a three-year $4 million deal, though Titans assistant Neil Henry could yet come into consideration.
Asked if Bennett's decision helped his cause, McGregor said: "You would think so." But he now faces the challenge of strengthening the Dragons' finals hopes and boosting his own prospects.
"The association needs to interview the best people for the job and if they see fit that I am the best person for the job then they'll interview me in time, " McGregor said, after Monday's loss to Manly.
"At the moment they're doing their rounds and obviously Wayne was part of that. He's made up his mind now.
"All I can do is look after the group that I'm in control of right now - that's this football team - and continue to do that. If the results fall that way they'll look at me as coach.
"Nothing much changes for me. I will turn up to work tomorrow and go again.
"My job at the moment is interim coach and working these guys pretty hard.
"We've got a six-day turnaround and we're working towards the Tigers this weekend."
Dragons chief executive Peter Doust confirmed on Monday that talks with Bennett were well advanced before the seven-time premiership winner phoned him over the weekend to inform him he would not take up a three-year deal with the club he coached to a premiership in 2010.
"I had a number of discussions with Wayne Bennett and it was clear that he was interested in returning to the Dragons but on the weekend he phoned me to say that he would be returning to Brisbane," Doust said.
Bennett on Tuesday said he hadn't considered a return to the Broncos until his former club recently approached him.
"As I was deciding on my future, the Brisbane Broncos weren't in the equation until the board recently contacted me," Bennett said.
"I never thought I would be presented with the opportunity to return home and I appreciate the confidence the [Brisbane] board and owners have shown in me."
He said he won't be making any further comment on his future until the end of the season.
McGregor said he was yet to sit down with Doust to formally discuss his future but made it clear it was his ambition to coach the club he skippered to a grand-final appearance in the joint venture's inaugural season.
"I really enjoy coaching this group and I would like to continue coaching this group," he said.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...regor-faces-crunch-time-in-nrl-career/?cs=302

Latest posts