What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PRICE TO BE SACKED ,McGregor IN

Minh

First Grade
" DIDNT WANT TO UNDO THE WORK THATS BEEN DONE ", ISNT that the whole reason PRICE got shafted so we could could undo all the work that's been done, he sent us backwards for 2 1/2 years, for mine stop blowing wind up Price's arse and get on with getting some wins ,PRICE deserved everything he got, he was a failure big time enough said.

That quote was a bit scary, I just hope it was a throw away line.....

Gomarchin

Juniors
If they decide to give Mary the job next year it will mean we won't be playing any finals footy for at least the next 5 years. The club needs a clean out of existing coaching structures, processes etc etc.

Mary Mary quite ordinary.

Highland Saint

Juniors

It appeared to be in response to a question from a journo so I'm not too worried. I think that this comment along with "I didn't want the head coach job" are just PR niceties.

DUB888

Juniors

It's a throw away line he has used in the many interviews that have been printed about his appointment. He sounds far from confident and coupled with an interview with Captain Creagh
posted in another thread , LEADERSHIP is void in this team and coaching staff. Hopefully the announcement of a Head Coach from outside of our structure happens soon.

hazzbeen

Bench

This whole club is treating everybody like Mugs no respect at all for the supporters.The bull..t continues.Everyone should be scared ,if Mary wins a few games he will stay.Price will be helping Mary along the way .As Doust said it was hard to sack Price as he is a good mate.The change was to shut everybody up.....

SaintPeter

Juniors
Marys comments and attitude reflect the boys club mentality that saints have become (again). People and especially fans out side the click have known for two years that things weren't working and a harder, more professional approach to decision making (coaching) was required.

From the start it was the wrong decision to appoint Price, who, like Nathan Brown was too close to the players to make the tough decisions and be more concerned about outcomes than players feelings.

It looks like Mary is part of the same group. We need an external person capable of making the right decisions which sometimes can be tough, e.g. replacing an underperforming forwards coach !

mickeylane

Bench
Well that will do me ...
Mcgregor quoted in this mornings Telegraph that he will continue the work that he and Price have been planning since October and will continue to use him as a sounding board!!

Is anyone else incensed?

jenninga

First Grade
Well that will do me ...
Mcgregor quoted in this mornings Telegraph that he will continue the work that he and Price have been planning since October and will continue to use him as a sounding board!!

Is anyone else incensed?

rather use him as a dartboard

twinkletoes

Juniors
New St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor tells players to get on with job

By Brad Walter

May 27, 2014, 4:38 p.m.
New Dragons coach Paul McGregor instructs his players during training at WIN Stadium on Tuesday.

After receiving the blessing of sacked St George Illawarra coach Steve Price to take on his job, Paul McGregor delivered some home truths to the Dragons players at a meeting ahead of their first training session under his charge.
McGregor, who said he was unsure yet whether he wanted the post beyond this season, spoke at length to a ''hurting'' Price over the weekend and mentioned several times during an impressive debut press conference as head coach that the main reason he'd agreed to take on the challenge was because his close friend had urged him to continue the job they had started together this season.
The goal at the beginning of the season was to make the top eight. McGregor told the players at a meeting before training at WIN Stadium on Tuesday that nothing had changed except that Price had lost his job ? although Ian Millward, Ben Hornby or Dean Young are likely to take on an assistant's role with the NRL team.
''I think everyone involved in this situation is disappointed that the business has seen a need to change, and now the players need to change,'' McGregor told the players.
''It starts every time you go on the paddock, every time you do video, every time you wear a jumper. You have got to be proud to wear it, [and] you have got to work hard for each other. That is what we need to do, there is no easy way out of this. The circumstances aren't great but there are games of footy to be played and you blokes and every one in this association needs to work hard to get that done.
''It's hard for me. [Price] is a mate of mine and we worked well together and he is not here. But the situation is this: the football is on this weekend, we have got a team and we are going to go out there and play, and we are going to play to the best of our ability.
''We are going to work hard during the week to do that. What we need to do is work bloody hard. We started today and again tomorrow and again Friday and again Sunday until we play Monday. If everyone collectively takes up a bit of slack we will be okay.''
The inaugural St George Illawarra co-captain said he had enjoyed coaching in the Illawarra Coal League and NSW Cup but did not agree to become Price's assistant this season with a view to eventually taking his job.
''I had always said to him right from the start when I came in that if he was uncomfortable with anything please let me know, and if you want me to walk away I will walk away,'' McGregor said.
''The club is pretty close to me too. I played a lot of years of football here and the players are the most important thing at the moment. I feel for Steve, he is a good friend, we worked closely together and at the moment one of us is not here. To me that is disappointing but the circumstances are that if I didn't do it someone else would, and the only reason I am doing it is an easier transition for the players.
''I spoke to him about that and how he is feeling. He is a really good guy and he is hurting but he understands rugby league and he said he really wants the boys to work hard and perform for the rest of the year. That is why I am standing here right now, because I didn't want to see someone else come and undo the work that has been done. We are not finished. I wish he was right here next to me.''
Dragons captain Ben Creagh said the players had to accept some responsibility for Price's demise after losing six of their past seven matches, but he was a popular coach whom they all respected.
''He would have been doing it tough and we all tried to rally behind him and the coaching staff,'' Creagh said. ''We had a meeting this morning and Mary [McGregor] had his first address to the playing group, saying we have got 14 games to go, let's do our best for one another first of all, but also for the club and our fans.''

http://www.theleader.com.au/story/2...gor-tells-players-to-get-on-with-job/?cs=2382

twinkletoes

Juniors
I'm sick of all this BULLSHIT...the article in question shows exactly why we need a broom through the playing and coaching ranks ,,they all think they're doing a good job...FMD. They're like babies all these people...Price is really hurting, we're trying to get him through it...it is SICKENING.

I've just lost all hope of salvaging something out of this season. This is exactly the reason an outsider should have been brought in...there's too much internal baggage still hanging around..

dragonreddy

Juniors
Well that will do me ...

Is anyone else incensed?

YEP, i said yesterday that i was optimistic on MONDAY,but that has faded already just reading what Mary says ,he not the solution to the problem he is part of it. H e says in the posted newspaper article that he wants to finish what they started, i'm presuming he means the longest losing streak ever for the club,that's about all i can see they've started this year. Going to be a tough rest of the season.

Dezziedc

Juniors
YEP, i said yesterday that i was optimistic on MONDAY,but that has faded already just reading what Mary says ,he not the solution to the problem he is part of it. H e says in the posted newspaper article that he wants to finish what they started, i'm presuming he means the longest losing streak ever for the club,that's about all i can see they've started this year. Going to be a tough rest of the season.

You conveniently leave out that he also indicates that he doesn't WANT to be the solution. He doesn't want to be the head coach of the dragons. He sees this as a stop gap as well and definitely not the solution. Given this, he doesn't have much else to work on but the plan they had previously.

Maybe there was a plan that Price wasn't executing well and maybe Mary can do a better job of it. Note also in the articles that there was unrest in the coaching ranks with the team selections. So not all of the coaching team agreed with what was happening. So hopefully Mary can stablize the team and get some consistency going.

And also remember that he has only been told of this on the weekend while in Blues camp. It would be a bit of a shock to him and everyone. It also means the board and Doust haven't had time to sign a new coach up - at least this buys them some negotiation time for the right solution and not just picking someone from outside the club because they are available.

Unfortunately for Mary, you guys are going to base his FG coaching future on this first game. If he doesn't get a win it will be down with Mary.

You guys are so fickle it's laughable. I can understand the concern, but FFS, you have to give the guy a chance.

TheFrog

Coach
Four wins from 10, plus one loss in which the side was dead set robbed.

While it's clear this team is not a premiership threat this year, this is a premature decision, in my view. Although things will probably get better momentarily, sacking the coach mid-season rarely leads to a team heading north on the table.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Tell that to the Warriors. McFadden is doing a fine job. They have imporved a hell of a lot.

Most teams that sack a coach mid season usually improve. Parra played better when Brad Arthur took over from Kearney.

I am not expecting top 8 from this but I have a bit more hope now that if Price was still in charge that is for sure.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Mary also said when they asked him about next year that he does not give a hoot about next year he is concerned about this weekend. Great answer. What more can you ask. Good answer imo.

He is great mates with Price and does not want to go bad mouthing him, you can understand that. He is just saying things to help him possibly get a new job rather than make out he was that bad and not worth recruiting. At the end of the day they are good mates and if you were in his situation you would do the same to your mate.

getsmarty

Immortal

While it's clear this team is not a premiership threat this year, this is a premature decision, in my view. Although things will probably get better momentarily, sacking the coach mid-season rarely leads to a team heading north on the table.

You watched any of our games over the last 3 Seasons.???? Held to Zero 3 times....Should never have been Re-signed.

FlameThrower

Bench

You are flogging a dead horse now,,,,it's over he's gone, bad man go away!