What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Prince's one weakness - a case for Kerr.

Vicious

Bench
SouthernTiger said:
no i have always had this opinion of prince. In regards to poor kicking games I dont think Kieran would fix this because i dont think kicking is his best quality. He kicked well last week but that actually surprised me. Keiran's strength are mainly his running and passing games not unlike Prince.

Plus Simon is exactly right. Our go forward has nothing to do a players kicking ability. It has something to do with our metres gained granted but not kicking distance or accruracy

cheers

s. tiger
Even Andrew Johns,Craig Gower and Brett Kimmorley struggle with their kicking when their forwards aren`t providing good go forward.So YES it does have a fair bit to do with Mark O`Neill,Nick Graham(when he was there) and Ben Galea(the way he`s been playing).

Eddie.

Bench
SouthernTiger said:

Plus Simon is exactly right. Our go forward has nothing to do a players kicking ability. It has something to do with our metres gained granted but not kicking distance or accruracy

cheers

s. tiger

Cant agree with that. If mark oneill hits it up 4 metres on the fifth. gets up slowly you end up kicking flat footed ( ie - not moving forward to gain momentum - thus decreasing distance) and with less time as the defence is in your face - thus decreasing acuracy!

ill admit prince doesnt have the longest boot in the game but to say forwards have no impact on players kicking in a game is interesting.

SouthernTiger

Juniors
eddie

i totally agree with in regard to kicking flat footed but is not what we are talking about here. We are talking about simple go forward. Prince has often had a lot of time to kick the ball this year and still struggled to put it behind the fullback. As for Vicious you simply want to relate every problem in our side to Mark O'Neill. In regards to kicking time with the ball is important ... go forward is only relevant in that is gives you time with ball. its funny that no part of our side is allowed to be criticised. If you criticise the forwards its the backs fault. If you criticise the backs its the forwards fault.

balmain Boy sorry mate I cant really undertsand your question. There seems to be no grammatical structure. Get back to me with language I can understand. As for BS I assume you mean bullsh1t. Well just say it dude and until then f**k off

Vicious

Bench
It`s all Mark O`Neills fault LOL!!!He`ll probably have an absolute blinder tomorrow,just to make me look bad.However,i`ve never said he doesn`t try his guts out,iI just believe he lacks class and holds the team back in certain areas.His on field talk and committment is definately a plus,but I don`t think that outweighs the plusses our younger players bring to the team!

SouthernTiger

Juniors
watch his defence vicious. Like you I have never been a massive O'neill fan but in recent times I have paid particular attention to his defence. Some of his tackles are just incredible. My old man watched the game last week, the first time he has watched a wests game for a long time. he said two things. "That guy (ONeill) is a phenomenal defender, he keeps showing the rest of the side up" and "Marshall is an idiot". It was interesting to get the view of an objective spectator. For mine he was pretty much on the money. O'Neill is a brilliant defender but the question is how long that can keep him in the side. And Marshall's attitude (a point I have made several times I know) last week was atrocious. I was very disappointed in him.

cheers

s. tiger

magpiemax

Juniors
ST,
I think you are a little hard on Benji there mate.
He is what 19 years old.Im sure you made heaps of mistakes at 19,let alone in a split second decission on a footy field. ;-)

SouthernTiger

Juniors
Magpiemax

I am not hard on him at all. He is a frist grade footballer playing five-eighth. If he is too young to handle the maturity involved than he shouldnt be playing. His age had absolutely nothing to do with it. He carried on like a lair, and it is one thing I hate in players. Im not writing Benji off but simply being consistent in my belief he isnt ready for 5/8th. Personally if we didnt have Hodgson I would love to see Benji playing fullback this year

cheers

s. tiger

Vicious

Bench
Your right about O`Neill it`s his defence only thats keeping him in the team.He may have put Elford through a gap early in the game but the team doesn`t need a ball player/defender in the second row,they need players who are going to hit the ball at pace everytime they touch the ball.It was a good win today,but Parra were woeful and I am nearly sure a topnotch team like the Roosters would have put 50-60 points on Parra.Thats what frustrates me,we have the personnel to compete with the likes of the Roosters,but to do that the team definately still needs a few adjustments!As far as Benji goes,DO NOT doubt the kid.He is capable of anything and MUST be in the team at 5/8.

SouthernTiger

Juniors
Benji had an awesome game today and showed what ability he has as 5/8th. I still reserve doubts as to whether it is the best position for him at the moment. But if he keeps playing like he did today then I say keep him there. What impressed me today was he played a far more structured game but still managed individual brilliance. Pure class. As for Prince he showed how dangerous he is running the ball and had a great game. In the first half we did lack a little bit of organisation after we scored those early tries. We will have to avoid that against the better sides

cheers

s. tiger

B_Tiger

Juniors
Benji's position is surely 5/8. At centre he simply doesn't get enough ball and at half he would be forced to play in a style that is far too structured for his style of play. He is only 10 games into a career which only really started this year. Previous to that he was a high school footballer, His development into a quality first grader is unbelievable. I think he is allowed many more stuff ups before we all start getting impatient with his play at 5/8.

I have to disagree with your claim that the kicking game is average simply because prince is an average kicker. Rarely do the tigers get a quick play the ball on the last, which is essential if a kicker is to get a good kick away. I blame forwards for a lot of problems in a side's performance because I rate forwards as the most important positions in the match. Few teams will lose if they are managing to go forward consistantly. Therefore, if a forward pack is not going forward and not creating space for the backs then I blame the forwards. Just as when Prince doesn't get enough time to get a dominant kick in, I blame the forwards. The 4th and 5th tackles have to be fast play the balls to get a respectable kick in. Otherwise a half is only going to manage an average kick on the last. You claim that prince does get time on the last but I don't really see it that way, especially when you compare the time orford gets on last tackles to prince's time.

Vicious

Bench
B_Tiger said:
Benji's position is surely 5/8. At centre he simply doesn't get enough ball and at half he would be forced to play in a style that is far too structured for his style of play. He is only 10 games into a career which only really started this year. Previous to that he was a high school footballer, His development into a quality first grader is unbelievable. I think he is allowed many more stuff ups before we all start getting impatient with his play at 5/8.

I have to disagree with your claim that the kicking game is average simply because prince is an average kicker. Rarely do the tigers get a quick play the ball on the last, which is essential if a kicker is to get a good kick away. I blame forwards for a lot of problems in a side's performance because I rate forwards as the most important positions in the match. Few teams will lose if they are managing to go forward consistantly. Therefore, if a forward pack is not going forward and not creating space for the backs then I blame the forwards. Just as when Prince doesn't get enough time to get a dominant kick in, I blame the forwards. The 4th and 5th tackles have to be fast play the balls to get a respectable kick in. Otherwise a half is only going to manage an average kick on the last. You claim that prince does get time on the last but I don't really see it that way, especially when you compare the time orford gets on last tackles to prince's time.
Exactly right about the forwards.Again yesterday the props namely Skandalis,Laffranchi and Payten were the only ones going forward with any aggression.Scotty Sattler done his best to help out,but I can tell you now,although it was a good win yesterday,the Eels were very ordinary and if our back-rowers don`t start performing in attack we won`t get any closer to the likes of the Roosters and Dragons than we did earlier in the season.However I believe if the likes of Fulton,Heighnington and Lima were given more game time,it wouldn`t be beyond us to beat the top teams even when they`re at full strength!

B_Tiger

Juniors
yes, I have to agree. heighnington in particular is shaping up as a very very good replacement for either Galea or O'neill. But I don't think that either of the players are in poor form, simply that players below them potentially offer more on attack, and in rhino's case, great defensive work as well. I'd say Galea is the more vulnerable. He is not as good defenisvely and while he is a more effective attacking player, he has yet to show anything more then O'neill's work in attack.

Vicious

Bench
I dont think there is much doubt we`ll finish in the top 8 and thats great,but i`d like to not only get there,but give any side we play a real shake.I`ll keep on standing by that the fact we lack good hard running back-rowers is the only thing stopping us from giving the competition a shake.Why wait till next year?

SouthernTiger

Juniors
This is the last time I will mention Prince's kicking game because I have done it to death. The simple fact is that both him and Kerr played behind the same forward pack, yet kerr's kicks looked much better(this is a fact that is undisputed on this forum). This is despite the fact this has always been a weakness in Kieran's game. We could go back through all the halves in our existence and blame the forwards for their poor kicking but it is absolute rubbish. Prince is a gem of a player but he simply doesnt have one of the better long kicking games in rugby league

cheers

s. tiger

simon says

First Grade
SouthernTiger said:
We could go back through all the halves in our existence and blame the forwards for their poor kicking but it is absolute rubbish. Prince is a gem of a player but he simply doesnt have one of the better long kicking games in rugby league

Spot on.I thought our kicking was the only area of our game that led us down on the weekend.Prince justdoesnt cut the mustard IMHO.

Cheers.

magpiemax

Juniors
Benji plays great but I feel that as he gets older and more expierienced.He will get that touch footy style about him out of his game.As I have said before he steps way to often and I feel at times it loses it's impact.

Snide the Tiger

Juniors
Watch the game again lads and you will see Galea make a few very telling and strong runs in the Parramatta red-zone (especially in the 2nd half) - but his problem is he does not run with that same vigour consistently throughout the match!

If he did - he'd be punching holes for us!

Vicious

Bench
Snide the Tiger said:
Watch the game again lads and you will see Galea make a few very telling and strong runs in the Parramatta red-zone (especially in the 2nd half) - but his problem is he does not run with that same vigour consistently throughout the match!

If he did - he'd be punching holes for us!
IF is the word.How many telling runs did MON make?No ifs and buts about it,Fulton,Heighnington,Lima make an impact every time they run the ball.Add Dene Halatau to that list,he always runs with vigour.Bronson is a great talent,but definately a centre,as he`s not to keen on the middle of the park!